Vianden Castle Luxembourg

Traveling across Europe always gives me such a buzz so much that the dude thinks I am obsessed (FYI – I am). Europe has some of the best castles in the world and Vianden Castle in Luxembourg is one of them. During my recent visit to Luxembourg I met some incredible people who let me tag along on their planned itinerary. Visiting Vianden Castle wasn’t on my radar but when I learnt about it I knew I had to visit.

Vianden Castle Luxembourg

Vianden Castle is located in the Northern region of Luxembourg and was built between the 11-14th century. It is one of the largest and finest feudal residences of the Roman and Gothic eras in Europe. From its inception a lot of work has been done to it with multitude of additions. Today it is open to the public and is definitely a must visit castle in Luxembourg. Not only does is boast of great views, the town of Vianden is one to be admired and a great location.

Tip: If you’re planning a visit to Luxembourg, invest in the Luxembourg card to enter this castle for FREE.

Vianden Castle Luxembourg

Traveling across Luxembourg is easy as pie and is cheaper than your breakfast meal. Being such a small country, you can drive from one end to the next and be done in 2 hours. This is appealing on so many levels, we however chose to use public transportation. Unfortunately on that very day, there were engineering works happening on the train lines, just our luck. But fear not, Luxembourg’s bus system is one to be reckoned with and very efficient, German efficiency. We were able to grab a bus from Luxembourg main station to Vianden with a connection along the way. The entire journey was less than an hour and we got off at the second bus stop in Vianden, costing us 4 euros return.

Vianden Castle Luxembourg

Arriving in Vianden, you’re immediately greeted with the view of the river stream and the castle. The village is a very quite one more especially during winter months which was perfect for us. The streets leading up to the castle is littered with cute cafes, restaurants and a few shops. It is easy to picture Vianden as a vibrant village during the summer but also quite one too. Walking up the streets to the Vianden Castle takes a good 15 minutes but we walked slowly. You would definitely benefit from having your walking boots or trainers on for the hilly part but otherwise it’s ok.

Touring Vianden Castle Luxembourg

Vianden Castle is open everyday from 10 in the morning with closures during Christmas and New Year times. It is one of the easiest castles to navigate with or without an audio or tour guide. Entrance fees varies but adults pay 7 euros and 6 euros for students and senior citizens. With the help of the maps provided at the entrance, we were able to navigate the entire castle ourselves.

Vianden Castle Luxembourg

What is truly fascinating about this castle is how much work has been done to it over the centuries. The initial building did not contain a Renaissance  mansion, this was added in the 17th century. A massive hall in the castle is dedicated to showcasing all of the changes made to the original castle. Another fascinating fact is that this castle sits on the old foundations of a Roman castle and a Carolingian refuge.

Our visit to Vianden Castle was definitely worthwhile and can not encourage it enough. I loved reading Kathryn’s account of her fairy tale visit to Vianden Castle and what she got up-to. It is a small town, with so much to offer and just need to look to the sky to see the incredible castle.

1. March 26, 2018 / 11:06 am

This castle is so stunning and it’s definitely worth seeing. I’d enjoy walking the streets outside as well.

2. Gust Și Aromă
    March 25, 2018 / 9:39 pm

I agree that Europe has a lot of beautiful castles. And I was so excited to read about this one. It is beautiful and maybe one day, I will visit it!

3. March 25, 2018 / 8:51 pm

Wow, that is a like a Disney castle and it’s in such good condition! Would love to visit it too one day.

4. March 25, 2018 / 6:13 pm

Wow! That castle is awesome. I would love to explore one castle someday and Luxembourg is the place to be. Thanks for sharing!

5. Heather Castillo
    March 25, 2018 / 3:43 am

Wow! What a beautiful place. I can’t wait until my kids are a little older and we can travel outside of the country!

6. chubskulit
    March 25, 2018 / 12:11 am

You are such a traveler, I wish I could travel as much as you do. I am grateful though that I can see other places through your page.

7. Kita Bryant
    March 25, 2018 / 11:48 pm

Luxembourg is an amazing place. Some really powerful people have done a lot of things from there.

8. Sara Welch
    March 24, 2018 / 11:37 pm

Wow, a castle would be so amazing to see. They are such a testament to the times.

9. March 24, 2018 / 9:38 pm

Oh I love castles, this one looks absolutely beautiful! Like something out of a fairy tale! x

10. Gemma S
    March 24, 2018 / 9:38 pm

This looks beautiful, a real fairytale castle. I highly recommend a trip to Cardiff if you like castles – you can visit Cardiff castle, Castell Coch and Caerphilly castle all in one weekend.

11. Erin Ek Rush
    March 24, 2018 / 8:45 pm

Oh wow! We would love to visit Luxembourg. What an amazing castle.

12. Christy Garrett
    March 24, 2018 / 7:43 pm

My brother was stationed in Europe for several years and I really wished that I had the money to go visit him. There are so many things that I would love to see in Europe. I know that my brother went to Big Ben and other places in the area. I’m not sure if he had a chance to go to Luxembourg though. The pictures of the Vianden castle is beautiful and I would love to visit one day.

13. Peter Macintosh
    March 24, 2018 / 3:12 pm

What dreams are made of right there. Such a beautiful landscape, hard to leave I bet

14. March 24, 2018 / 4:09 am

That looks like a fairy tale! What gorgeous surroundings. My family and I aren’t much of the traveling type, so I live vicariously through blog posts like this!

15. March 24, 2018 / 1:42 am

I would love to travel to Luxembourg and visit a castle one day! Keep on posting about your vacay’s girl!! I’m jealous!! LOL!

16. March 23, 2018 / 10:49 pm

This castle looks absolutely enchanting and magical. I bet the family would love to go on vacation here!!

17. Danielle Fox
    March 23, 2018 / 8:48 pm

My husband would love this place

18. Rachel Akers
    March 23, 2018 / 8:42 pm

What a great place to visit. I can’t say I have ever made it inside a castle before. So it is on my bucket list.

19. Candy Kage
    March 23, 2018 / 2:50 pm

We have actually been to this castle in Luxembourg. We love this city and found many fun things to enjoy.

20. valmg
    March 23, 2018 / 2:50 pm

I have always wanted to travel to Europe, many places including Luxembourg and it’s neighbors Belgium and France are on my travel bucket list.

21. Tasheena N. Womack
    March 23, 2018 / 2:46 pm

You always find the most gorgeous places to visit. This looks like a true gem. Would love to visit one day and explore.

22. Jeanette
    March 23, 2018 / 1:56 pm

The more I read about this place the more I want to go. It would be so much fun to explore a castle. I have never been in one and I think it would be fun to hear all the history that has to do with the castle.

23. March 23, 2018 / 1:19 pm

I love that Europe is full of history! I can’t wait to make it there one day and tour castles. This one is beautiful.

24. March 23, 2018 / 12:36 pm

I just love exploring castles! They are so fun to go through. Learning the history of them is always fascinating to me.