Winter in Luxembourg: 7 Things to do

Did you know that Luxembourg is one of the smallest countries in Europe and is one of the richest too? I didn’t because it is a country that is often overlooked for its neighboring countries; Germany, France and Belgium. Luxembourg is so small that you can drive fro the north to the south in just two hours and you’re done. It truly is that small but let me tell you, what it lacks in size, it makes up for in beauty.

Winter in Luxembourg

At the beginning of March 2018, I flew to Frankfurt Germany and hopped on a bus to Luxembourg city. For all my budget travelers, its not a cheap city that’s for sure and only has ONE HOSTEL, Luxembourg City Hostel. Book this hostel in advance as its very popular with backpackers and budget travelers alike. Something to also note about this incredible small European city is that, on Saturday TRANSPORT IS FREE. Get booking and explore this UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE on your next European Adventure.

Winter in Luxembourg: 7 Things To Do

Winter in Luxembourg is no joke, it can be anything from fairy tale snow covered castle tops to blooming freezing. But that shouldn’t be the reason not to visit, the reason should be, you’ve already been several times. I know I would love to visit Luxembourg again in warmer weather and tour it all. But if you can’t wait for warmer weather and want to experience Winter in Luxembourg, then you can. Here are some of the things we managed to do during our Winter in Luxembourg Adventure.

Tour the City on Foot

The advantage of Luxembourg being a small country is that you can walk across the city on foot and enjoy the scenery. One disadvantage is the fact that Luxembourg is on a hill and to get to either side you have to climb up and down. During Winter in Luxembourg, this can be such a trying time as its blooming cold and definitely not forgiving. Make sure to pack your walking boots and wearing your thermals and winter coats because you will need it. Another great advantage is that, at every high point you get across the city, you get such incredible views.

Winter in Luxembourg

Visit the Bock Casemates

The Casemates were once a underground defense system where Luxembourgers came to hide from the bombs. Today they are part of the UNESCO World Heritage and inside you will find an archeological crypt. The casemates were first constructed by the Spanish back in the 17th century but it was the French who enlarged them. In 963, the count of Ardennes, Siegfried acquired the Bock from Saint Maximin Abbey in Trier.

Chemin De La Corniche

The Chemin de la Corniche is thought to be one of the most beautiful balcony in Europe and the views are impressive. We were able to admire the views of the city both during the day and at night, it was definitely worth it. This impressive balcony was built by the Spanish and French around the same time the Casemates were constructed. And if you opt to stay at Luxembourg City Hostel, the balcony is only a 5 minute walk up the hill.

Check out William II’s Statue

Located in Place Guillaume II this statue is one with full of fascination, did you know that it was made by two sculptures? One created the made and the other made the figure, William ruled Luxembourg and gave it its first parliamentary constitution.

Winter in Luxembourg

Go to Church at Nôtre Dame Cathedral

Nôtre Dame Cathedral is a Roman Catholic church located in Southern Luxembourg and the only cathedral in the country. The corner stone was laid in 1613 and previously the church was a Jesuit church, it is an important church in Luxembourg. During our visit we were able to attend mass and listen to some hymns whilst escaping the harsh winter.

Dig into some sweets, enjoy a hot chocolate and see the Palace

As a chocolate lover, I knew the Chocolate House was one place I wasn’t going to miss checking out. This quaint little chocolate shop was a highlight of our visit and made winter in Luxembourg attractive. Situated right in front of the Grand Ducal Palace, this cosy little shop has the best quality chocolates ever. We were able to purchase a load of chocolates in loads of flavours, I am still enjoying them.

A post shared by Miranda-Anosa #UKTravelblogger (@ajulydreamer) on Visit a Museum – MUDAM Luxembourg

MUDAM a museum of modern art located in the Southern Luxembourg and sits on the old Fort Thüngen. It is 15 minutes walk from Luxembourg youth hostel and displays various exhibitions including paintings. What we loved the most apart from the art pieces was the cafe inside the museum.

There is so much to do and see in Luxembourg, I would definitely love to visit during warmer months. Leave any questions you might have about Luxembourg in the comments below.

Winter in Luxembourg

1. Tomi_C
    March 26, 2018 / 4:23 am

I love discovering new places on foot or public transportation. You get a real glimpse of the city and interact with more locals that way.

2. Stephanie Pass
    March 22, 2018 / 4:59 am

This is one place I would love to visit. It looks so beautiful and quaint.

3. March 22, 2018 / 1:31 am

Thank you so much for sharing a glimpse of your adventure in Luxembourg, I like your awesome shots. I love hot chocolate so that’s really great!

4. March 21, 2018 / 6:38 pm

Exploring new cities on foot is one of my favorite things to do. This would be no exception!

5. Alison Rost
    March 21, 2018 / 12:17 pm

Who would have thought that a place this small has a lot to offer! I think Luxembourg is worth going to especially with the sights and the things that you can do here! I’d love to just walk around and explore!

6. March 21, 2018 / 9:46 am

Well, I wouldn’t mind going her any time. I love small cities and Luxembourg is just really lovely. I like this guide that you put together!

7. Sara Welch
    March 21, 2018 / 4:41 am

You have so much knowledge of all these places I only WISH I could go! I will need to pick your brain for when I DO get to travel!

8. March 21, 2018 / 2:48 am

Oh wow, it looks like there are so many things to do in Luxembourg, no matter the weather. I think my favorite would be strolling through museums.

9. March 20, 2018 / 10:39 pm

It looks like there’s so much to do in Luxembourg. I would love to visit this destination. I bet the kids would love to take a vacation here!

10. Heather @ Kraus House Mom
    March 20, 2018 / 9:58 pm

What a beautiful city. I love the cobblestone streets and church is amazing.

11. Tasheena N. Womack
    March 20, 2018 / 9:49 pm

Luxembourg City is so gorgeous! I love that they have so much to do. I’ve never been, but I would love to visit.

12. Kelly Reci
    March 20, 2018 / 9:33 pm

The MUDAM Museum of Modern Art looks absolutely captivating. That would probably be my first stop if I were to visit!

13. Jeanette
    March 20, 2018 / 4:51 pm

I have so many places in Europe I need to get to. This is definitely one of them. The architecture itself is just gorgeous and I would love to explore this country.

14. March 20, 2018 / 2:18 pm

I’ve never been to Luxembourg before but it sounds like such a fun city to visit! I definitely plan on exploring more of Europe ASAP. So far I’ve only experienced France and Amsterdam.

15. March 20, 2018 / 1:06 pm

I don’t like to visit anywhere that’s in the winter season. But I’d love to visit Luxembourg in the Spring!

16. Alli Smith
    March 20, 2018 / 1:05 pm

I would love to spend a few days exploring Luxembourg. The cathedral is beautiful and the chocolate shop sounds like the perfect place to take a break.

17. March 20, 2018 / 12:26 pm

What a fabulous city! I would love to explore it on foot and take tons of photos. The chocolate house would be a place I’d have to check out as well!

• March 20, 2018 / 12:33 pm

I know what you mean, its an incredible place and the chocolate house is a definite must visit.

18. Candy Kage
    March 20, 2018 / 11:37 am

We use to go to Luxembourg all the time and love the city. Even in the winter it takes on a beautiful charm and is really a very pretty city to visit. Tons of things to enjoy.

• March 20, 2018 / 12:33 pm

I enjoyed it definitely and curious to see what it looks like in the Summer

19. Robin Rue
    March 20, 2018 / 10:56 am

Luxembourg was not even on my radar until you mentioned it. Sounds like a fun place to visit.

• March 20, 2018 / 12:33 pm

It rarely is any on people’s radar, but I am glad I went as its incredible