How-to Spend 48-hours in Barcelona

Are you planning a trip to Barcelona or have you added it to the itinerary but are limited on time? Well, fear not as we’ve put together this article on how-to spend 48-hours in Barcelona. If you’re limited on time, make a plan and decide on what you want to see the most. You should also *check Holiday Gems who specialise in short-haul travel. Here is how we spent our 48-hours in Barcelona.

48-hours in Barcelona

How-to Spend 48-hours in Barcelona

This is probably news to nobody but Barcelona is the capital of Spain and the largest Catalonia city. Almost everyone who wants to visit mainland Europe has Barcelona on their list of places to explore. Living in the UK I am only a stone throw away from this incredible Spanish city. Many Britons fly to Spain year round for it’s incredible beaches but I am a city lover.

Regular readers will remember I went to Barcelona last year November after I found an incredible deal. As a deal hunter I knew I had to return to this city one day not realising just how soon. This time I did not go alone, I took my parents with me so they too could experience it. The itinerary was very relaxed as I was traveling with ageing parents abroad. Speaking of itineraries, here is how we used up our 48-hours in the Spanish city of Barcelona.

48-hours in Barcelona: Itinerary

Our flight was from London Stansted to Barcelona Girona Airport, over 100km from Barcelona. Luckily for us there is a nice bus service from Girona Airport to Barcelona main station. We arrived in Barcelona early evening and decided to spend the rest of the evening resting.

I had booked us a lovely apartment in the heart of Barcelona in the Sagrada Familia area. Our itinerary had 4 items on it as we intended to take the city in slowly. But as we were limited on time I made sure we also caught the city tour bus to explore more areas. The following places are the ones we managed to explore on our recent trip to Barcelona.

Sagrada Familia

Designed by Catalan architect Antoni Gaudi, the minor Basilica is a UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE SITE. It is also an unfinished catholic church and one of the most visited places in Barcelona. When I first went, I was in awe of the place, the inside was like nothing I had seen before. I knew my parents would love to see such a building hence why I booked an apartment close by.

Park Güell

Another incredible pieces of work that was undertaken by Gaudi, the park was declared a UNESCO WORLD HERITAGE SITE. It is a public park composed of gardens and architectonic parts but has a limitation who visitors. Only so many can visit the park at one time and is often sold out especially in warmer months. We managed to explore part of the park which is free and open to the public before heading back.

Casa Batlló

The house is locally known as Casa dels ossos or House of bones is a Gaudi Masterpiece. It is located in the center of Barcelona and not to far from Plaça Catalunya. Everything about this house is fascinating, the buildings next to this house look rather ordinary. We had such an incredible time exploring near the house and taking the time to stare at it every so often.

Barcelona Cathedral

The first time I visited the Gothic Cathedral, I just sat at the benches facing it and just stared at the building. There is so much detail that intrigued me so much, I ended up visiting it every morning and evening. It was when there were less tourists and also quite in the city of Barcelona.

The cathedral is the current seat of the Archbishop of Barcelona, it was constructed between 13th to 15th century. It is one of the must visit places in Barcelona, though I am yet to go inside, I am told it is incredible.

Barcelona is one of those cities that you have to visit many times to cover it all or maybe a long holiday. I know I will be visiting it again soon and maybe this time I will take the OH.

Have you ever been to Barcelona? What is your must see place?

*Asterisked link is collaborative with Holiday Gems

1. October 8, 2018 / 2:25 pm

I’ve never been to Spain before, despite having family living there. Barcelona is one of the must go places though, its amazing how many things you managed to fit into a couple of days!!

2. October 8, 2018 / 2:25 pm

That looks like such an amazing trip! You must have had a fabulous time. It’s great to know you can see quite a bit in a short space of time. I will add it high to my ‘must visit’ list!
    Menna x

3. October 8, 2018 / 2:25 pm

This is a great 48 hours guide on Barcelona. I have been there once I really want to go back there as it is one of the best places I have ever been! 🙂 One of the things I definetely want to check off my list is visiting the Cathedral!

4. October 8, 2018 / 2:25 pm

the architecture looks so stunning! My in-laws have a villa near Alicante, so I haven’t really explored any other part of Spain. I really should though!

5. October 8, 2018 / 2:25 pm

I’ve seen so many posts on Barcelona recently that I really want to visit again. Great itinerary tips! Will bookmark for a future trip x

6. October 8, 2018 / 2:25 pm

I would absolutely love to spend time in this beautiful city – so many amazing things to see and do, and it’s warm! Looks like you had a super time too.

7. October 8, 2018 / 2:25 pm

I loved Barcelona when I visited and would love to go back again, so much to see and do and close enough to us here in the UK to go for a lovely day or two!

8. May 21, 2018 / 10:23 pm

9. May 20, 2018 / 5:19 pm

10. May 19, 2018 / 9:42 pm

I really must go to Barcelona, the Gaudi cathedral just sounds so phenomenal!
    C x

11. May 19, 2018 / 9:16 pm

12. May 19, 2018 / 8:24 pm

Menna x

13. October 8, 2018 / 2:25 pm

I really must go to Barcelona, the Gaudi cathedral just sounds so phenomenal!
    C x

14. May 19, 2018 / 9:57 am

15. May 18, 2018 / 10:36 pm

16. May 18, 2018 / 7:20 pm

17. May 18, 2018 / 5:56 pm

The cathedral looks immense, such an imposing building but…in a good way. I love gothic architecture, it’s mesmerising.

18. October 8, 2018 / 2:25 pm

19. May 18, 2018 / 1:04 pm

This is one place i would love to get away for the weekend to see. it sound like you can cover quite a bit in a weekend which is great. I’d really love to go see the Gothic Cathedral it must have been amazing!!!

20. October 8, 2018 / 2:25 pm