Summer in the City – How to Dress for a Hot City Break

If you have a city break booked in, or you’re looking for ideas on how to dress in the heatwaves we seem to be having in the UK, then we’ve put together some ideas below. It can be tricky trying to look stylish, dress for the heat and make sure you’re comfortable throughout the day, especially if you have a lot of exploring planned in.

summer in city

Layer up

Layering can really help when it comes to dressing in the heat, you can add or take away pieces as you need to, and this is a great way to go from day to evening too. By wearing a light weight base, such as a dress or top with loose trousers, you can add to your outfit without adding too much weight. Adding a lightweight jacket or cardigan allows you to be prepared in case you get a little colder but means you can easily remove any layers if you need to. It’s not just clothing that’s great to layer up, accessories are also on trend for layering this Summer. Necklaces are a great way to add some detail to a simple outfit, take some inspiration and add a little something different to your summer look.

Keep it simple

When it really starts to heat up, then a simple outfit is always the easiest to wear for your city break. The last thing you want to be doing is walking around in tight clothing or lots of layers. You can’t go wrong with a simple summer dress, there are plenty of different styles available so find one you feel comfortable in, and then pair it with summery accessories. Midi dresses are on trend this year, perfect for a city break. You can pair it with simple flats, trainers or sandals for the day time and then mix it up with a wedge or heeled sandal for the evening if you fancy dressing up a little. These can be easily layered up with a jacket and can help you feel cooler in the heat.

summer in the city

Comfort is key

There’s nothing worse than facing a long day in an outfit that isn’t comfortable, especially if you’re on a city break and plan on doing a lot of exploring and walking. If you do plan on walking a lot then make sure you wear appropriate footwear, you don’t want to be in pain half way through the day. Also wearing slightly loose clothing will help in the heat, as well as feeling more comfortable, you don’t want anything feeling too tight (especially if you plan on indulging a little at lunch). Fabrics such as linen and light weight breath able cottons as great in the heat, perfect for Summer and any breaks in the sunshine.

Accessorise for the Summer

You can easily add some summery elements to your outfits through accessories, from bold and bright earrings to your shoes and bags. There are plenty of ways to mix things up and add some colour to your simple summer outfit choices. Straw bags are still a big trend for this Summer, whether in a cross-body style or a shopper style, this can be a great way to add a summery element to your outfit. If you aren’t a fan of wearing too much colour, then bright accessories can be a great way to include this in your outfit, start small with a pair of coloured statement earrings or go bold with some coloured shoes and sandals.

summer in the city

1. October 8, 2018 / 4:26 pm

Layering is very important, you never know when the weather might change and it always gets a bit chilly at night

2. October 8, 2018 / 4:26 pm

Layers are good and something to carry those layers in if you’re out and about.

3. October 8, 2018 / 1:26 pm

Comfort is definitely the key and I love layering in, I think that’s why I quite like Autumn and Winter as I get all my layers back out

4. Rebecca Smith
    October 8, 2018 / 1:26 pm

Some great tips here – I always opt for light breathable cottons as I just cannot stand being too hot in my clothing

5. October 8, 2018 / 1:26 pm

Great tips! I think you cant go wrong with layers and comfort!

6. bryanna skye
    October 8, 2018 / 1:26 pm

there is nothing worse than packing uncomfortable clothes for hot weather! I always go for sandals or those slip on trainer type shoes, and leggings with light dresses 🙂

7. September 19, 2018 / 7:55 am

8. September 15, 2018 / 6:22 pm

Great tips! I think you cant go wrong with layers and comfort!

9. September 15, 2018 / 8:46 am

10. June 12, 2018 / 7:02 pm

I hate being hot and yet always seem to fail – some great tips for me as I’m
    Going to London in a few weeks

11. June 12, 2018 / 3:51 pm

I always try to keep it simple when packing for a hot city break as there’s nothing worse than sweating and feeling uncomfortable, I love lightweight materials and I love accessorising with sunglasses

12. October 8, 2018 / 4:26 pm

I hate being hot and yet always seem to fail – some great tips for me as I’m
    Going to London in a few weeks

13. Rebecca Smith
    June 12, 2018 / 2:11 pm

14. October 8, 2018 / 4:26 pm

15. bryanna skye
    June 11, 2018 / 12:03 pm

16. June 9, 2018 / 9:10 pm

Layers are good and something to carry those layers in if you’re out and about.