5 Top Tips to Enjoy a Good Night’s Sleep

Good Nights Sleep

If you feel tired and groggy each morning when you wake up, then it could be because you’re not getting enough sleep or the kip you are getting is of poor quality. So, what can you do to reset and ensure you get a good night’s sleep and feel refreshed when you wake up? The sleep experts at Happy Beds share their top tips below.

• Set Yourself a Bedtime

Most people won’t have had a bedtime since they were children, however, going to bed at roughly the same time each night can help more than you may think.

Having a bedtime will get your body into a routine and regulate your natural clock. This will mean you have a set sleep pattern and you start to feel tired at the same time each night, as well as naturally waking at the same time each morning.

It’s not all about routine – going to bed at the same time will also help ensure you get your allotted 8 hours a night and will prevent you from crashing or taking mid-day naps due to exhaustion. So, put that television programme on record and snuggle up!

• Avoid Sleeping in on Weekends

Good Nights Sleep

When you don’t have to get up for work, it can be tempting to turn off your alarm and sleep in late. And although this may be necessary after a late Friday night out in order to catch up on missed sleep, try to avoid doing this too often. Just as going to bed at a set time helps regulate your natural body clock, so does waking at the same time.

• Try Not to Nap

We’ve all done it. We’ve snuggled up on the sofa after a heavy meal or after a long day at work, and before you know it half hour has passed. This may seem harmless, but don’t be surprised if you feel worse when you wake up.

‘Sleep inertia’ is a common result of waking suddenly from a deep sleep. This inertia can cause disorientation, impaired cognitive function, and leave you feeling tired.

So, if you feel yourself nodding off in the middle of the day, get up and keep active. You’ll soon feel more awake and you won’t compromise the quality of sleep you get at night.

• Consider How You Fuel Your Body

Good Nights Sleep

They say, “you are what you eat” and this certainly has an influence on the quality of sleep you get at night.

Foods like cheese make you dream more, caffeinated drinks like coffee or fizzy drinks make you feel alert, whereas fatty fast food can result in fragmented sleep. Instead, swap these for more sleep-friendly food and drinks such as milk, chamomile tea, salmon, cherries and walnuts.

• Invest in a Quality Bed

Transforming your diet and sticking to a routine can drastically improve your night’s sleep, however if your mattress is old, worn-out or uncomfortable these changes will become redundant.

Ensure you get the comfort and support you need at night from a double mattress that fits to your curves, yet doesn’t sink in the middle or creek every time you roll over, and you’re sure to get the best night’s sleep you’ve had in ages.

Good nights sleep

Collaborative

1. June 23, 2018 / 1:42 am

I love sleep and value it very much! I think these are awesome ways to make sure that you get enough sleep during the night. A routine is definitely going to make sleeping so much easier!

2. June 22, 2018 / 11:29 pm

These are great tips. I have been having a really hard time getting to sleep lately.

3. June 22, 2018 / 1:43 pm

But.. but.. weekends is the only time I could sleep in! I woke up at 4:20 on weekdays so I take advantage of the weekends. Great tips though.

4. June 22, 2018 / 1:26 pm

A good night’s sleep is so important to recharge you. If the quality of sleep is not good one feels irritable the entire day. these are some good tips. I think what you have before dinner is very important, if you have food with lots of sugar before bed, you will tend to be more alert and not get sleep.

5. Janet C
    June 22, 2018 / 12:02 pm

These are some really great tips for getting some great sleep. I never really thought sleeping in on the weekends would deter the pattern but I guess it can!

6. June 22, 2018 / 11:36 am

A bedtime routine definitely helps. I think these are awesome tips for anyone having trouble sleeping at night. A quality mattress can make a huge difference!

7. June 22, 2018 / 5:17 am

Napping is where this all breaks down for me! I wake early, nap and go to bed late. Not the most sane approach.

8. June 22, 2018 / 4:20 am

Great tips! I have been sleeping so poorly lately, we are going to invest in a new bigger bed and I am going to make some of these changes.

9. June 22, 2018 / 1:15 am

I’m so lucky I have my body clock set very accurately. I can wake up even without an alarm clock and I sleep very tightly every night.

10. June 21, 2018 / 11:46 pm

I think my husband and I are about due on a new bed. There are so many great options out there nowadays.

11. June 21, 2018 / 7:02 pm

Great tips! Totally agree with investing in a good bed and watching what you feed your body. They may seem like little things but they actually affect that much in your sleeping.

12. June 21, 2018 / 3:50 pm

We need a new mattress. Ours is pretty old. But I’m generally a good sleeper. My husband is not. He’s always shifting around or he’ll wake up in the dead of night wide awake.

13. June 21, 2018 / 3:30 pm

Love your tips. I have to force myself not to take a long nap during the afternoon because, like you said, if it ends up being a hard nap I wake up and feel just awful! Great tips.

14. June 21, 2018 / 2:51 pm

I am lucky I generally sleep well most nights with little or no help. A good mattress is such a great way to feel comfortable in your own bedroom and we have a new one.

15. Pam
    June 21, 2018 / 2:47 pm

Having a quality bed is so important to getting a good night’s sleep. Having the right mattress really helps me.

16. June 21, 2018 / 2:25 pm

This are wonderful tips. Investing in a quality bed is so important. I’ve always learned to stop eating a couple of hours before bedtime which works for me.

17. June 21, 2018 / 12:58 pm

These are great tips! Investing in a good bed is KEY! & I also love that you mentioned fueling your body properly, it’s amazing what food can do to your sleep!

18. candy
    June 21, 2018 / 12:09 pm

Napping really throws everything off of schedule. So really try not to do that. All the rest of your tips are great and we do have a routine for bedtime.

19. June 21, 2018 / 12:03 pm

Yay – I do all these things and I absolutely love my mattress! I also get up early every morning and never set an alarm. I guess I have an internal alarm because I get up at the same time regardless of what time I went to bed.