5 Reasons to Fall in Love with Wales

There is no denying that there are some beautiful places right here in the United Kingdom. And they can often get overlooked due to many of us planning our holidays abroad. Although it can be nice to find some sun somewhere abroad, there are, in fact, so many incredible places right on our doorsteps.

Wales is, of course, known for its magnificent landscapes and mountains which dominate the setting and this what tends to draw so many there each year. So, if you are yet to visit this beautiful country, we have got five reasons to fall in love with Wales.

1 – The Landscape

Tenby during sunrise

As mentioned above, the Welsh landscape is truly breathtaking. From seemingly-endless national parks to incredible mountain scenery you will be taken back by its beauty. With valleys scattered with mysterious woodland to mirror-like lakes, if you are an avid walker, or just enjoy the outdoors, the possibilities are endless. Additionally, there is an opportunity to stay in Snowdonia holiday cottages which can be found throughout this national park, where you can switch off for a few days whilst being surrounded by incredible mountain scenery.

Although being renowned for its mountain setting, there are also a wonderful array of spectacular beaches to be enjoyed all-year-round. From miles of golden sand, mysterious coves to quaint traditional harbours there is so much to see throughout the 870-miles of coastline.

2 – The Food

Fish and chips in paper

Wales is fast becoming a foodie’s paradise, with independent eateries blowing visitors and local alike away with their freshly sourced produce and decadent dishes. From traditional dishes like Welsh rarebit to laverbread, Welsh cakes and bara brith, there are a plethora of things to try. Many of the restaurants and cafes located throughout Wales source much of their produce from local sources, whether that is from local farmers or freshly caught from the sea.

With an abundance of delicious fish and chip shops to Michelin Star eateries and everywhere in-between, there is no doubt that you will be spoiled for choice when searching for somewhere to eat.

3 – Unique Experiences

Women at the top of Mount Snowdon

Due to Wales having such a diverse landscape, this opens up the opportunity to try something a little bit different. In the north, you will be able to tackle the climb to the top of Mount Snowdon and experience incredible views. You can reach the top of Snowdon by foot, or via the train if you fancy a leisurely ascent.

Located near Snowdonia National Park, you can have a unique experience at Zip World. Here you will find Europe’s longest zip line where you can soar like a bird through the sky to see the beauty of Wales from a completely different perspective.

4 – The Cities

Boats in Swansea Bay

Wales is home to a handful of cities with each being completely different from one another. In the south, you will find vibrant cities such as Cardiff, Swansea and Newport all packed with wonderful attractions, incredible eateries and much more. To the north, you will discover Bangor, as well as the smallest city in the United Kingdom, St Davids. Even if you are looking for a city break, you will never be too far away from dramatic coastal views, or endless landscape scenery.

5 – History

Carew Castle

It is no secret that Wales is steeped in history and this is shown through its many castles. There are around 600 castles dotted throughout the Welsh landscape, with some being in ruin and others a wonderful attraction to visit. Wales’ castles are among the most stunning features of the country’s landscape and can serve as a great day out when visiting this wonderful country.

reasons to fall in love with Wales

These are just five reasons why you should fall in love with Wales, but we are sure there are a lot more! Have you had the chance to visit Wales, what did you love about the country? Let us know in the comments below.

This is  a collaborative post

1. October 10, 2018 / 11:11 pm

I have never been to Wales but seeing these places to visit, do, and try there just makes me want to pack my bag and go there.

2. October 9, 2018 / 3:57 pm

I’ve not been to Wales, but would love to check it out one day! That landscape is breathtaking!!!

3. October 8, 2018 / 1:11 pm

I always wondered what is so great about Wales. And personally England is my favorite country. But now I knew what Wales has most amazing feature i.e landscape. Yes, how can I forget Castles? They are like the main part of Wales. For me if you haven’t seen castle in Wales, then you have not seen anything.

4. October 8, 2018 / 1:11 pm

I would love to visit Wales some day. I had an AncestryDNA test and I am largely in part from this area. It sounds like there is so much to explore, from the city to the country.

5. October 8, 2018 / 1:11 pm

Encapsulates what we all want as travellers , doesn’t it? Love the country and your coverage of it!

6. Sundeep
    October 8, 2018 / 1:11 pm

I already fall in love with wales after reading your article. This place looks stunning. A perfect place to visit. My bucket list is increasing day by day and I need to complete all. I am excited to see Wales’ castles. Thanks for sharing this blog

7. October 8, 2018 / 1:11 pm

Wales is one of the places I’ve always wanted to go. Those fish and chips look AMAZING!

8. October 8, 2018 / 1:11 pm

Love the pictures, they gave me a great idea of Wales, I’ve been to London and Oxford but Wales is a place I would love to visit. Those fish and chips are glorious!

9. October 8, 2018 / 1:11 pm

I&#8217ve been in England but never in Wales and you made me want to go! Good job! I&#8217ll be coming back to your blog often&#8230 Thanks for sharing&#8230

10. October 8, 2018 / 1:11 pm

I keep wanting to travel to Wales but it’s so hard by train. Now that I got my driving license and just bought a car, I’m sure I will go there soon. I would like to explore the countryside and all those castles.

11. October 8, 2018 / 1:11 pm

Wow, what gorgeous pictures! Wales looks breathtaking…I hope to get them someday!

12. October 8, 2018 / 1:10 pm

I would love to try the zip line.

13. October 8, 2018 / 1:10 pm

I have never been Wales and this post just made want to plan my next trip there. Those fish and chips look amazing!

14. October 8, 2018 / 1:10 pm

I’ve never been to Wales myself, but I’d love to. I agree though, we have such beautiful places right here in the UK!

15. October 8, 2018 / 1:10 pm

Wales is such a beautiful place isn’t it – I haven’t been for a long time now but I have some fond memories of it from my younger years. Thanks to adventure and beautiful surroundings.

16. Faneshia
    October 8, 2018 / 1:10 pm

For the food and city alone I’ve already fallen I love! Lovely pictures too! Thanks for sharing

17. Jessica Taylor
    October 8, 2018 / 1:10 pm

Omg that food looks amazing! That alone is enough to make me want to visit! Lol.

18. October 8, 2018 / 1:10 pm

I have visited Wales a few times, though never really ventured further than Cardiff. I wouldn’t have had it down as a foodie place – I don’t think I could name one dish that is particularly Welsh, so I’ll just have to pop over there and explore some more 😉 x

19. October 8, 2018 / 1:10 pm

I do think the landscape is so unique in Wales, especially the deeper into Wales you go. A lot of people just stick to Cardiff and the big cities but there’s so much more to Wales x

20. October 8, 2018 / 1:10 pm

I often forget about what we have right on our doorstop and always look further afield for more exciting holidays when i should really embrace what we have

21. October 8, 2018 / 1:10 pm

I love Wales, it is such a beautiful place to explore. We went to Llangollen a couple of months ago x

22. October 8, 2018 / 1:10 pm

I am lucky enough to live in Pembrokeshire – not far from Tenby which is in your first photo. It is an awesome place! Kaz

23. October 8, 2018 / 1:10 pm

I have never had food as good as we did in Wales! I think they have the best lamb I’ve ever tasted! Love it!

24. October 8, 2018 / 1:10 pm

I’ve been to Wales – more specifically to Cardiff as my cousin lives there and we went there to meet her. However, I’d love to explore more areas in Wales

25. October 8, 2018 / 1:10 pm

Wow this is beautiful. I haven’t been to Wales since I was a kid, now I really want to go again.