Back to Uni Essentials

Back to uni essentials lists, all the important items college university students should take with them on their new adventure. Starting university can be such an exciting time, meeting new people and studying your chosen degree. They say you make lifetime friends at university and I couldn’t agree more, its that and much more.

back to uni essentials

In the UK, most university students start this week also known as freshers week. Most will be moving from home and moving into either campus accommodation or off campus. Regardless of which accommodation you will move into, these back to uni essentials will be useful.

Back to Uni essentials

It’s been four years since I left university and started working in the field that I studied in. But I remember the first day like it was yesterday, I remember what I took and what I wished I had brought with me.

back to uni essentials

Most dorms in the UK already provide kitchen essentials like microwave, stoves and fridges. The following is not provided but some can be purchased at the university/college.

• Bedding – duvet set, pillows and covers and fitted sheets.
  • Bed comforter – dorms can be quite chilling during the winter months
  • Laundry basket and detergent – if you’re lucky your dorm will have laundrette.
  • Desk lamp and alarm clock
  • Cleaning products and toiletries
  • Cushion for your chair
  • Plastic storage or shelving units
  • Water bottle, utensils, rice cooker and coffee maker
  • Clothing and hangers
  • Bathroom essentials – things like soap, towels, shower gel
back to uni essentials

Other Uni Essentials

The list above lists just the basics but there are other equally uni essentials. I definitely needed these when classes started and found great deals online. Some things are best bought later than earlier to grab some good deals.

• Computer – I bought mine via my university who had some deals with the local computer company
  • Printer, ink cartridge and paper – even though the uni libraries offered these at a fee, it was cheaper having my own
  • Binders and dividers – I love to make my own notes and print slides, binders became essential
  • Pens, pencils, markers and highlighters.
  • Backpack or laptop bag – I prefer to backpacks as I can carry a lot more
  • Flash drive, notebooks, post-it and calculator – must-have items
  • Headphones and game boards – I am a strong believer in working hard and playing hard too.

Over the last couple of years, I have been doing my postgrad master’s degree and have loved it. It’s a little different as I don’t live on campus nor do I go to classes regularly. Though these essentials are great, the Back to School Essentials has been handier.

back to uni essentials
back to uni essentials

1. September 16, 2018 / 8:00 pm

These essentials are great and spot on. Having been to uni myself I would say that a pinboard is a good idea with cards and photos from home to remind you and feel close to those you miss.

2. September 14, 2018 / 10:40 pm

Great list! I stayed at home and travelled in to uni during my three years there and always feel I missed out not staying in dorms!

3. September 14, 2018 / 7:46 pm

What a fab list and I would have loved a cleaning kit and comforter when at uni!!

4. September 14, 2018 / 2:03 pm

I love this post. It took me way back to when I was a fresher at uni. I always made sure my room was comfy and cosy so I felt at home.

5. September 14, 2018 / 1:59 pm

It’s 23 years since I started uni and 14 years since I graduated with my PhD. Things were a bit different for me as I lived 20 minutes from my uni so could take the bus or walk. So I never experienced dorms or living away from home. So the stationery list would have been more for me!

6. September 14, 2018 / 12:03 pm

Useful reminders. I’d add some of your favourite foods to get you off to a decent start before you figure out where the best shopping is to be had 🙂

7. September 14, 2018 / 10:31 am

Great post, most of these things get forgotten about. It’s a big step for a teenager so being prepared always helps.

8. September 13, 2018 / 10:51 pm

20 years ago this week since I started uni, I can still remember it like yesterday!

9. September 13, 2018 / 10:49 pm

I left Uni just 3 months ago and I bought most of the items you have listed, this helped me decorate my flat to my taste and made it to feel like home xx

10. September 13, 2018 / 10:25 pm

It’s been ages since I was in uni but looks like you have everything covered on the checklist. A flash drive is essential for backing up work. That’s one mistake I’ll never make again!

11. September 13, 2018 / 10:02 pm

Ah it’s been a looong time since I was at uni. I had no idea what to take with me or what to buy. Except I know I wanted to have a cuppa so took some teabags. I remember getting a few essentials as cheaply as I could but mainly wanted to make my room feel homely!

12. September 12, 2018 / 2:32 pm

Brilliant list! When I first moved into dorms over here, I had no idea what to bring. In France, I’d had to rent a flat so I needed everything there. If you like cooking, I’d also bring a few bits and bobs (garlic crusher, favourite pan etc.)

13. September 12, 2018 / 1:20 pm

Oh my goodness can you believe it’s been almost twenty years since I was at university…I can’t! This takes me back. I think anything that can make your room feel more personal and cosy is a must.