Back to School Essentials

Back to school is in full force in England, Scotland and Wales. All my social media timelines are full of pictures of kids first day at school. It is exciting for many parents and kids to be back at school for another academic year. If your kids are not yet back to school and you’re still compiling essentials, we hope this guide will be helpful.

When it comes to buying back to school essentials, it takes a lot of planning. I remember when I was young, my mum always used to look through our previous items. There is no point in wasting money buying new items which won’t get used by the children. Always have a plan before you head out to make purchases for back to school essentials.

Back to School Essentials

Depending on what year your child is going to be in, certain items are essentials. In our back to school essentials guide, we are sharing items that every child above reception will need. These items can be found at your any general store or online shops like office stationery. Regardless of where you make your back to school essentials purchase, it should be items your child needs. Here are some ideas of what essentials should be on your list.

• School uniform – very essential item for all students
  • School Shoes and socks – a must have
  • Backpacks – these are the best types of school bags and can pack a lot of items
  • Pencil case – must have to store all the stationery
  • Pencils – depending on what year the child is in
  • Pens – these are dependent on what year your child is
  • Highlighters – great from highlighting notes
  • Rubbers
  • Ruler
  • Sharpener
  • Notebook – always nice to have a notebook to write reminders in
  • School Books – school year dependent
  • Sticky notes – very handy when making notes
  • Calculate – also dependent on how old your child is
  • Water bottle

Felt Tip Marker Pen
Pencil Case
Graphic Marble Notebook
Mesh Backpack
Canvas Backpack

Not So Essential Back to School items

The items we’ve shared above are definite must-have items for back to school. The following items are not essential but are nice to have items that you can essential your child carries. Again, some of these items are age-dependent and might not be applicable to some.

• Deodorant or body spray
  • lip gloss or balm
  • pads or tampoon
  • panty liners
  • hairbrush
  • hair ties and clips

I am excited that school is back and though it can be daunting for some kids. Going to school was one of the best times of my life and miss my friends and the teachers. There are other items that student might need especially the older ones starting university. We will be sharing a separate essentials guide for university student soon.

1. September 13, 2018 / 3:22 pm

Love the list nice and organised. Notebooks and sticky notes are life and help to keep any student on top of their study game x

2. September 13, 2018 / 2:03 pm

These all sound like great school essentials! I’m not picky about much but I have to have good pens/pencils!!

3. September 12, 2018 / 11:43 pm

We just had to supply the schoolbag, water bottle and uniform. The school provides pencils, notebooks etc. But I love stationery shopping, so I got some back to school stationery anyway 🙂

4. September 12, 2018 / 2:24 pm

Back to school is an exciting time for kids and parents alike. Remember my own school days when we went for shopping and the excitement of buying new dresses and books. Of course, things have changed over time but the excitement is the same.

5. September 12, 2018 / 1:23 pm

My daughter is obsessed with stationery so loves back to school time! A must have for us is a name stamp to name all her items so she can’t lose them!

6. September 12, 2018 / 9:39 am

I failed miserably on my son’s first day at high school. We totally forgot his pencil case! We’d got it all sorted beforehand for his visit days but then completely forgot to put it in. He never needed one at primary school.

7. September 12, 2018 / 3:35 am

Deodorant for me is an essential. 🙂 I love the rest of your essential list, what a clever way to organize it.

September 12, 2018 / 7:20 am

Thanks, Terri.

8. sara lafountain
    September 12, 2018 / 1:51 am

Back to school time is behind us and I barely got all the supplies together on time. My daughter wanted to decorate her locker this year so I needed to get a whole bunch of decorations for her too!

September 12, 2018 / 7:20 am

Awww bless her, I miss having school lockers with posters of my favourite band and stuff

9. Pam
    September 12, 2018 / 1:45 am

I can’t believe it’s school time already. It seems like this summer just flew by this year. This is a great list of back to school essentials.

September 12, 2018 / 7:19 am

I too feel like summer flew by before I even had a chance to enjoy it

10. September 12, 2018 / 1:04 am

Can’t believe that summer is over. Went way too fast. Thanks for the great list it’s good to have some to refer to so you don’t forget the basics.

September 12, 2018 / 7:19 am

Oh, I feel the same, cannot believe its already Autumn.

11. September 11, 2018 / 10:44 pm

These are many of the same essentials we use for the back to school season. In some school districts, I hear that students don’t need to buy anything, as the teachers provide it all.

September 12, 2018 / 7:18 am

Oh now that would be very nice, would be very helpful to parents am sure

12. September 11, 2018 / 7:51 pm

I’m pretty sure Tampons are an essential for young women! Don’t think I could live without a hairbrush or deodorant either 🙂

September 12, 2018 / 7:18 am

Hahaha, I more a pads girl than tampons but I agree they are pretty essential

13. September 11, 2018 / 5:49 pm

There is so much to remember with the back to school shop isn’t there! This is a great list to help parents prepare for it all!

September 12, 2018 / 7:17 am

Tell me about it, I think only threw high school did we have a back to school shop local to us

14. Chanel
    September 11, 2018 / 4:39 pm

I love the not so essential back to school list because those items can be easily overlooked! My kids started last month and it’s been so great to get back into a routine/schedule!

September 12, 2018 / 7:16 am

Right, I thought I include them too whilst not essential, they are nice to have

15. September 11, 2018 / 4:01 pm

My kids are grown, but your list is pretty complete for sure. I could actually refer to this for my home office that I’m renovating right now.

September 12, 2018 / 7:16 am

I have a lot of these in my own home office too

16. September 11, 2018 / 3:48 pm

My daughter started middle school this year, and things have changed a lot for us. Definitely a lot different this year compared to elementary school! It’s good to have a list of essentials.

September 12, 2018 / 7:15 am

Aww congrats and sure it has been very exciting for her.

17. September 11, 2018 / 3:17 pm

You have all of these things new for school. Back to school started very early where I live but everything on this list is exactly what we had to get for school. Great list.

September 12, 2018 / 7:15 am

Gosh, how early did they start? The earliest have read was 2 weeks prior.

18. September 11, 2018 / 2:15 pm

This is a wonderful list. Back to school-time was one of my favorite times of the year. Especially, because social media wasn’t around back then, and I typically wouldn’t see some of my friends until school started back.

September 12, 2018 / 7:14 am

Oh I agree, without social media we had so much time dedicated to spending it with our friends

19. candy
    September 11, 2018 / 2:14 pm

We always start with the teachers list of supplies they want for each kid to have in their classrooms. Your list certainly covers usually what they want and there is always the new backpack and lunch box needed.

September 12, 2018 / 7:14 am

Oh, I didn’t know that most of us just focus on what our kids want.

20. September 11, 2018 / 2:08 pm

While I totally hated school as a kid, I did love shopping for school supplies, and LOVEDDDDDDDDDDD picking out my new planner! OMG that was so exciting to me, I have no idea why – and honestly to this day, it still is!

September 12, 2018 / 7:13 am

Oh I was the opposite, hated stationery shopping but loved being back at school with friends

21. September 11, 2018 / 1:15 pm

Haha, I’m with Robin, I thought rubbers were condoms at first. I’m amused now.

My kids do have a lot of these in their backpacks and then whatever supplies the teacher might need. I like to bring extras for them.

September 12, 2018 / 7:12 am

Hahahaha, she gave a chuckle that’s for sure. I should have written erasers and not rubbers lol

22. September 11, 2018 / 12:35 pm

There is so much to remember with back to school! Thankfully I remember it all this year – phew!

September 12, 2018 / 7:12 am

Glad to hear it, back to school can be such a mad dash a few days before or even during

23. September 11, 2018 / 12:12 pm

excellent list here – thank you 🙂 My pals have been running round getting things last minute, indecisive children 😉 apparently the pencil case choice really matters 🙂

September 12, 2018 / 7:11 am

Oh the pencil case really matters, either you want to have the same as your best friend or you want a unique one 🙂

24. robin rue
    September 11, 2018 / 10:56 am

I’m not sure what rubbers are where you are from, but here in the US they are condoms LOL. And also, thank god no school uniforms are needed here 🙂

September 11, 2018 / 10:59 am

😂😂😂 rubbers are erasers lol

25. September 11, 2018 / 9:46 am

Great list. Where were you last week when I needed you 🤣. In Ireland we’ve been back for nearly 2 weeks now. However they did get 2 full calendar months off.

September 12, 2018 / 7:10 am

2 weeks back already? Do they start back at the end of August then? Wow

26. September 11, 2018 / 8:53 am

My son has another 2 years before he starts school but I agree with all the essentials on your list. I even raid the back-to-school shelves at this time of year for craft supplies and pens. You can never have too many pens as a blogger!

September 12, 2018 / 7:09 am

Oh never, you can ever have too many pens