Manicure Monday ~ Mani-care

Manicare

Hello there and welcome to another Manicure Monday post with a difference, I am sure most of us have read so many manicure monday posts but hardly any posts on manicare. Today’s post aims to show you how I care for my nails and why it is so important to care for your nails and it does not have to cost you an arm and a leg. I do not know about you but I am no longer the weekly change nail polish kind of girl anymore. Now when I do my nails I want them to last for at least 2 weeks, if they only last a week then I will leave them for another week without painting them to give them room to breath and that is really the essence of it all. Just like everything else, your nails too need a break from being coloured all the time and that makes a huge difference. Below I have listed some of the ways I care for my nails

Week long breaks – As I have mentioned above I like to give my nails a week break between painting my nails, that way they get the nutrients and some sunlight without being blocked by the nail varnish.

Avoid cuticle remover – most people who go to the salon to have their nail done know most parlors remove your cuticles or pull them back, this is not good nor healthy as removing or pushing back the cuticles destroys the fungal barrier that they create. I am not sure if you have noticed but the nails become weaker and more susceptible to infection.

Nail extender – What most people do not know is that when having nails done professionally it’s best to have a tip extender than to cover up the whole nail and this blocks it from getting proper nutrients. Some nail parlors will recommend some products to use when you covered up the nail but they usually do more damage the good.

Healthy Lifestyle – most people do not realise how important a healthy diet is to the upkeep of the nails and the rest of the body. Eating proteins like keratin helps your nails grow and keeps them strong.

Hydration – though I do not practice it as religiously as others it is important to stay hydrated to keep the nails healthy without cuts and cracks on them.

Reduce contact with water – though you have to stay hydrated it, it’s important to reduce how many times you hands come on contact with water and chemicals, use gloves whenever possible.

Oils – using oils like olive oil, coconut oil and almond oil the night before bed helps make the nails stronger.

Acetone free – when buying nail varnish aim to purchase acetone free polish than other products as they cause more damage to the nails. I try to use acetone free nail polish and acetone free varnish remover.

These are some of the ways I care for my nails so as to keep them healthy and strong.

How do you care for your nails?

myrabev-signature

1. MrsMuffinTop ©
    May 18, 2015 / 6:02 pm

I agree with everything you said! I think that it starts from the inside out, so staying hydrated and having a healthy lifestyle are the places to start! I also let my nails “breathe” in between polish…I used to have brittle nails that split and broke, but not anymore!

2. May 15, 2015 / 4:11 am

I’m actually giving my toes a break right now. The polish was wrecking havoc on my nails. I try to avoid acetone as well. I like Julep or Zoya polishes for not having those chemicals. Love my nail polishes!

3. May 14, 2015 / 1:23 pm

What great tips! I am awful at taking care of my nails properly. I’m guilty of trimming my own cuticles just because they bug me! I do use a cuticle cream twice a day though, because my job involves a lot of hand washing, and they get so dry and dry cuticles are a temptation for me to pick at. 🙁

4. May 14, 2015 / 10:23 am

These are such useful tips! I genuinely had no idea that removing or pushing back the cuticles was bad for the nails but when you think about it, it does make sense! My hands are often very dry, so I’m going to try out your advice and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the post. Ellie

5. May 13, 2015 / 8:17 pm

I really enjoyed reading your post and value the tips you gave. I had no idea that having my cuticles removed would weaken my nails! That is beneficial info! As it is, my bi-monthly treat is getting a mani-pedi at my favorite nail salon and spa and should let them know not to do this! Thanks for sharing!

6. Fi Ní Neachtáin
    May 13, 2015 / 11:37 am

You do a lot to look after your nails and you’ve passed on some great tips to me in this post. I’ve painted my nails this week for the first time in forever as my nails were so brittle and split on the top. They’re healthier now and it’s great to have them looking pretty again.

7. May 11, 2015 / 11:16 pm

I used to bite my nails. From the time I was tiny until about two years ago. So now I am really into taking care of my nails. And I always have to have polish on, even if it’s just a clear coat.

• May 13, 2015 / 6:46 am

I know a lot of people who bite their nails but I am too chicken for that lol

8. May 11, 2015 / 9:02 pm

some great tips. I must admit since having kids I give my nails lots of time to breath 🙂

9. May 11, 2015 / 6:10 pm

Thank you for sharing, I’m always in need of a good manicare!

10. May 11, 2015 / 2:30 pm

I try to take really good care of my nails and I’m lucky that I tend to have strong nails that grow well. I absolutely agree that it’s important to give them a break from polish (as much as I do like to paint them). It just keeps them healthier and better looking. I do struggle with finding a good varnish remover that is not acetone based. The acetone really makes removing polish so easy versus the other options….I find myself rubbing and rubbing to get all the polish off!

11. May 11, 2015 / 2:29 pm

I take vitamins for my nails. I love it.

12. May 11, 2015 / 2:13 pm

very nice post. i am also a persone who take care a lot of nails.i use to massage them twice a week with a piece of lemon so they become more strong.i use to cleen them regularly and wash always. Oils are very nice to massage them with and keep them soft as hands 🙂

13. Joseph
    May 11, 2015 / 1:40 pm

We have been using coconut oil in our family for years. My wife cooks with it. We use it as a skin moisturizer to soften hands and feet. Always keep a fresh jar in the kitchen cabinet for food also.

14. May 11, 2015 / 1:30 pm

I love using coconut oil on my hands. It’s a great moisturizer!

15. May 11, 2015 / 1:08 pm

i didn’t realize putting oil on them made the nails stronger. Awesome tips!

16. May 11, 2015 / 1:05 pm

You learn something new everyday!! and today I learned that its best to keep polish off your nails for a week–I don’t know if I’d really do that-because I don’t like how my nails look plain–but the point about not pushing back or cutting your cuticles is important-I had no idea! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

17. May 11, 2015 / 10:13 am

What I have learned is that just like our hair, the nails also reflect the condition of our health. Because of the many things associated with nail polishes, we have to be more aware and be more careful about using such products. Coloring the nails is not always good.

18. May 11, 2015 / 9:10 am

I have nexgen nails on, have done for a while and even though I know I should give them a break, I never do but saying that, my diet is extremely healthy, I take vitamin supplements and I give my cuticles sooo much loving with creams and serums. My nail technician is always saying how strong my nails are and how healthy my cuticles look. I always ask her not to pull my cuticles back though as you said, they protect your nail beds. Good little article, I like it 🙂

19. May 11, 2015 / 7:03 am

I definitely think that eating lots of nourishing foods is great for nail strength and growth. I’m in desperate need of a manicure, I think I need to treat myself.