Lifestyle: Garden lighting and upkeep ideas

Garden lighting and upkeep ideas is a follow on post from lighting your home post I recently shared.

I work 9-5 and this time of year it gets darker quite early (4pm) so by the time I am heading home all the houses along my route home have turned on their garden lights and those who’ve bothered have decorated their yards. It is always nice seeing all the gardens all lite up, I do not have a garden, I live on the top floor of an apartment building but I thought I share some of the garden lighting ideas based off what I have planned for my parents house.

My dad has been working on our family garden for the longest time and he keeps insisting he will finish it next week (2 years later and still the same 😁😂). We currently have a sensor light in our garden which when I visit my parents I always seem to unplug since it’s plugged in my brother’s old room (where I sleep when I visit) and the socket is the easiest and closest one to me so without fail I seem to switch off our sensor lights (😬).

Obviously this needs to stop, so I am hoping the following ideas will save my parents sanity whenever I visit.

Garden lights – a lot of home stores like homebase  even Argos have a number of different garden light options you can buy but I am loving the different lighting types from Scotlight Direct. Not everyone thinks of outdoor lighting for their garden, as I have mentioned above we have a sensor light at my parents house but I think it would be better to have ground lighting or even outdoor post lighting obviously wired and plugged elsewhere.

Flower beds or Pots – we’ve had our family home for over 10 years now and the only thing that has survived in our garden is my mum’s vegetable patch which grows amazing produce. But for some reason none of the flowers we plant ever survive, of course our neighbours cats playing in our garden when we plant anything doesn’t help. Having some flower beds could remedy this situation or not.

Lawn mower – I can not remember the last time I actually handled a lawnmower but it is always handy to have one for those with gardens, so far dad has killed two lawn mowers so maybe this time will buy dad proof one 😊.

Fencing – in our garden we have an apple tree and every year we have some deliciously sweet apples which we welcome anyone to come taste. The kids in my parents neighbourhood all know they are always welcome to pick apples but for some reasons some kids prefer to climb out already weak fence to come steal apples so now my parents are in need of some new fencing to protect not only the garden but our home too.

signature

Check out my Pinterest board or pin your garden ideas below.
Follow Miranda ‘s board Gardens on Pinterest.

**Collaborative post, all opinions are my own**

1. December 14, 2015 / 7:55 am

I have some solar lights stuck on my fence, they looks great and make all the difference. I live in the middle of nowhere and it is SO dark at night. Have yo useen the flower pot solar lights? They’re amazing, I’m hoping to get a couple of those next year. 🙂

• December 14, 2015 / 8:45 am

Awww bless, I would need so many lights outside if I lived in middle of nowhere too and no I have not seen the flower pot solar lights but will google them

2. December 11, 2015 / 1:48 pm

Lighting can make such a difference in a garden can’t it? Especially at this time of year. I love sitting in our garden in the summer with fairy lights twinkling away 🙂

• December 11, 2015 / 6:06 pm

It really can this time of the year it’s the source of light since the nights a getting darker early

3. December 11, 2015 / 11:47 am

Lighting in a garden can make a huge difference to the outlook and gives such a nice atmosphere x

• December 11, 2015 / 6:07 pm

I believe it does change the atmosphere and gives so much vibe to it

4. December 11, 2015 / 9:34 am

We could do with a light in our garden for yoda when he is doing his business at night. i need to seriously invest in one! Some fab ideas today! Thanks for sharing on your blog!

• December 11, 2015 / 10:05 am

You’re most welcome and hopefully Yoda will get some garden lights soon

5. December 10, 2015 / 7:03 pm

I like outside lights, we have recently just had some wired in. Mobkey has also asked for Christmas lights outside this year. Hope you dad manages to get it finished xx

• December 10, 2015 / 10:53 pm

I hope he does too as it would be really lovely to have the ready by Christmas

6. December 10, 2015 / 3:17 pm

Our garden is still basically a paddock. So no lights, no flowers (well, a small wall), no trees, shrubs or borders. Next year I want to do something about it, but need to get the house sorted out first.

• December 10, 2015 / 3:34 pm

As you said once the house is done you can then work on your garden

7. December 10, 2015 / 1:53 pm

I love proper lights in the garden at this time of year. It makes it seem more cosy and wonderfully homely.

• December 10, 2015 / 2:07 pm

I agree it does make it more cosy

8. December 10, 2015 / 11:25 am

I find lighting in the garden really does help transform the space and it’s brilliant for enhancing certain areas. We have floor spotlights in our decking and solar lights dotted around the flowerbeds to showcase our water feature! xx

• December 10, 2015 / 11:42 am

Oh wow I can picture your garden in my head and sounds lovely. Lighting can definitely transform a garden

9. December 10, 2015 / 7:52 am

It makes such a difference having proper lighting in the garden doesn’t it? Transforms the space into another room almost x

• December 10, 2015 / 7:55 am