Bedtime Routine

Bedtime routine differs between individuals and situations, this post comes with a disclaimer; make your own bedtime routine. Prior to having a bedtime routine I struggled hugely with getting up in the morning and doing these 10 things. As a self-declared insomniac I used to get up several times a night sometimes only getting an hour worth of sleep. This caused me to be real grumpy in the mornings and often would prefer to be left alone. Setting a night routine can make a huge difference in people’s lives.

bedroutine

Recently I shared 10 things to do before 10am and how you can achieve that. Today I am sharing a bedtime routine that has helped me enjoy a good night’s sleep. For those with kids I salute you for even attempting a routine for yourselves.

{MY} Bedtime Routine

As mentioned above, having a night routine has really improved my quality of sleep. It has also improved how I feel in the morning and helps me get off bed without much complaint.

Set an Alarm {for when to sleep}

Setting an alarm is your best thing to start off your night routine. I set an alarm for when I should drop everything and go to bed. It sounds weird to set alarm for bed instead of for waking up.

10 things to do before 10am

Cleaning and Writing

I normally finish work around 4.30 and home by 5/5.30, then I continue to work until 20.30/21.00. After this I set an alarm to be in bed by 11pm meaning I have two hours to clean my home, do my blogging and review my to-do list. There are days when I don’t have to work until 9pm and will set an alarm to sleep by 10pm.

Take a shower 🚿 or bath 🛀

Having a bath or shower before bed helps finalize my day and I sleep fresh and relaxed. I know some friends who complain a shower only wakes them up even more so they don’t shower before bed. For me it’s a difficult concept to digest but we are all different, I know personally it’s better to shower than not. I take pleasure in using relaxing oils or shower creams like lavender certainly sends me to bed faster.

Nightly Face Routine

Cleansing my face before bed is a huge part of my bedtime routine. I take pride in looking after my skin and ensuring I have cleansed it thoroughly. Though I do wish I did take the same pride in caring for my inside.

bedtime routine

Meditate and relax your mind

This is easier said than done and most days I practically collapse in bed after my shower. But on days when I am tired but not sleepy I meditate and sometimes just listening to relaxing music helps. Others would do bedtime yoga which are also great for relaxing and sending you to sleep fast.

Sleep

This is easier if you’re one of those people who falls asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow. I am not one of those people, hence why I need to meditate or count to 100 or something. Because once I am finally in bed my mind starts remembering all the things I forgot which gets on my nerves. Hence why it’s so important for me to have a routine and stick to it. Obviously on holiday some things are skipped (time I sleep) but I practically stick to the routine.

Do you have a bedtime routine?

1. beautykinguk
    March 8, 2017 / 6:41 pm

I have no bedtime routine what so ever, I tend to lay and wait for sleep to come.

2. March 7, 2017 / 4:36 am

This is a great bedtime routine! I always light a candle and cover myself in my favourite moisturiser 🙂 xo

3. none
    March 7, 2017 / 2:27 am

I recently started using my diffuser with lavendar oil. It’s been a nice addition to my bedtime routine and has helped my husband with his insomnia. (Shan Epstee)

4. March 6, 2017 / 11:58 pm

Routines are so important no matter how old you are! I do the same things every night before bed! xo

5. Michaele
    March 6, 2017 / 8:04 pm

I agree with all of this! And I think it’s important to have that rutine because that helps you sleep well too!

6. Elizabeth Brico
    March 6, 2017 / 6:12 pm

Well I am one of those people with kids, haha, so bedtime routines are hard to follow. I wish I could wake up late, but by mama standards I do: 7:45 on weekdays, 8-9 on weekends. I have trained my kids well! They are NOT 6am-ers!

7. March 6, 2017 / 3:55 pm

Fabulous post! I am terrible with my bedtime routine and find myself getting over tired or lying reading until the early hours, Maybe if I had a better routine this wouldn’t happen as much xx

8. March 6, 2017 / 3:45 pm

I have a best time routine too.It helps me unwind .But some days I me as up.Meditation before a leering us an excellent idea.Like that you mak this a priority

9. March 6, 2017 / 3:37 pm

It’s funny, I have a bed time routine for my kids, but not one for myself lol I should probably get on that.

10. March 6, 2017 / 2:52 pm

I need to get into a more structured nightime routine so I don’t end up scrolling through my phone for hours in bed. Great tips!

11. Troy
    March 6, 2017 / 1:35 pm

Mine is quite similar to your routine. Although some nights Im so tired that I skip right to the sleep part.

12. Blair Villanueva
    March 6, 2017 / 10:00 am

Mine is also similar to yours. Also I did a strict skincare routine before bedtime which I use the 10-steps Korean skincare routine. 🙂 It was beneficial to me!

13. March 6, 2017 / 9:57 am

I don’t have a strict bedtime routine but I do always try to be in bed by 11pm (this doesn’t always work though). I always take my make up off and do my skincare routine just before bed though x

14. Sarah Louise
    March 6, 2017 / 9:50 am

The only bed time routine I have is to go upstairs at 9am. Wash and brush teeth with my daughter. Get her to sleep then sleep myself until I’m woken up by her countless times in the night. Roll on when she sleeps through.

15. March 6, 2017 / 6:37 am

I really love having a bedtime routine. It really helps to prime my body for sleep.

16. David E
    March 6, 2017 / 6:17 am

It’s important to be able to relax your mind before you can get to a place of sleep. Meditation certainly does help with that.

17. March 6, 2017 / 6:08 am

I like your routine. I usually read a book before going to sleep, but it makes me stay up way too late if the book is good. Haha.

18. Ola Broom
    March 6, 2017 / 12:39 am

It always helps to have a bedtime routine. As kids, we always had one, but adulthood changes that. I really have to embrace this again. It makes the week go by smoother.

19. Deimarys Colon
    March 5, 2017 / 11:23 pm

I have a similar bed time routine. the only difference is.. I try to get to bed by 9pm LOL! I try!! I will check on that bed time yoga though.

20. Mia Gorrell
    March 5, 2017 / 9:57 pm

Having a bedtime routine is essential for children and adults alike. Getting your body prepared for a good night’s sleep is essential! This can really benefit people who struggle with insomnia.

21. March 5, 2017 / 7:14 pm

I have to admit I have very little bedtime routine, I do always try of course have a wash, brush my teeth and I try and have a read for a little bit. x

22. March 5, 2017 / 4:14 pm

For me removing my make up is enssential, i couldn’t go to sleep whit make up on. When it comes to shower I prefer taking one in the moring to wake up.

23. Jennifer Eastwell
    March 5, 2017 / 3:15 pm

When I read this I thought it was a children’s bedtime routine! I think it’s important for adults to have one too – well me personally. I can lie there in bed some nights unable to switch off and sleep!

24. Em
    March 5, 2017 / 2:41 pm

These are great ideas for someone who struggles to shut off, luckily I have no problem in doing so! Getting into bed is the favourite part of my day.

Em

25. Chloe Griffiths
    March 5, 2017 / 11:15 am

i love having a routine, some nights I’m just so tired though and its a case of straight to bed haha xo