Tips for keeping Menstrual cramps under control

Menstrual cramps are medically known as Dysmenorrhea which many women experience before or during that time of the month. Dysmenorrhea differs from woman to woman, where as my sister is almost unaffected by them I on the other hand practically die from them. I come from a culture where you don’t really talk about menstrual cramps, you’re told it’s part of being a woman. Most will go as far as saying just get on with your life as it’s “NOT THAT A BIG DEAL“. If someone ever says that to you slap them silly 😜 even if they “HAVE” experienced it too. But normally it’s the men that say that so  go ahead and slap one for being silly.

menstrual pain

The cause of menstrual cramps

Anyway before I get completely off track, we might wanna back a bit and explain what causes menstrual cramps. The simple answer is “when your uterus contracts so much that it blocks the near by blood vessels from getting oxygen“. The level of pain is determined by how much the uterus constricted and caused that blockage for. There is two types of Dysmenorrhea primary and secondary, primary is the common menstrual pain most women experience and normally dissipates with age. Secondary Dysmenorrhea is caused by problems with the female reproductive system.

How to keep your cramps under control

Whilst there are many tips for keeping cramps under control I thought I share how I keep them under control. Like many women I suffer greatly with bad cramps that they paralyze me big time. The pain I go through monthly varies, sometimes its pain for 7 days straight and other times it’s just two days. I have no idea of knowing which I will be getting in when, pain for 7 or 2 days. This does make it hard to plan things around that time because I either will be totally on the floor crying or pain medication will do. With that in mind, here is how I keep my cramps under control.

Hot water bottle

There is nothing I love more than my hot water bottle during that time of the month. Not only does it keep me warm, it sates my body so well that I can afford to fall sleep. The pain I experience is so much that even falling asleep is not possible and during those times I wish to faint. But as luck would have it I need to feel all that pain, but thanks to a nice hot water bottle it lessens the pain.

Paramol

I was introduced to this awesome pain-killer last year by my previous boss and God I thank her daily. This is one pain-killer that you should only take for 3 days and no more due to addiction issues. Normally I don’t need it for the whole three days sometimes one is enough but wow. It’s a miracle worker for me, I can take it in the morning and won’t need another dose almost until bed time. If you’ve tried all pain killers and none is doing the trick, ask your doctor or pharmacist about trying Paramol.

Heating pad

Like a water bottle heat pads are God sent, the beauty is that you can walk with them everywhere. Unlike water bottles which are only socially acceptable at home. With heat pads I can even go to work but Not all heating pads are created equal. But they all have one goal, pain relief for varies things including menstrual cramps. Another awesome think you can sleep with them on, I prefer to use mine on my back or lower abdomen.

Yoga

Yes Yoga, yoga that focus entirely on relieving period pain and let the bad chi flow out. I recently found a few nice yoga moves on Pinterest and now I can’t get enough. All the yoga moves are simple and can be done in bed if you don’t want to use the floor.

And there you have it, this is how I *try to keep my menstrual cramps* under control. Ladies! Share your tips.

1. April 3, 2017 / 12:43 am

Greeat tips! I have endometriosis so my cramps have always been a beast! Changing my diet helped more than anything. Now I don’t take any advil and my cycles are soooo amazing! -Monique

2. Paula Bendfeldt-Diaz
    April 1, 2017 / 9:29 pm

These are all great tips. It’s great to know that things like yoga can help, I had no idea!

3. bee15
    April 1, 2017 / 4:12 am

thanks so much for sharing this Miranda! I feel like I could have written a lot of it, but also nice to know I’m not alone out there in my monthly pain. I also deal with painful fibroids, which make my monthly (or sporadic) periods super painful and hard to deal with – not even just the awful cramps but other annoying symptoms that suddenly come out – tiredness, etc. YOu’re also right that it’s still not even that ‘ok’ talking about it openly. Which is hard, b/c I do suffer mostly in silence. So nice to read this, and also I will work on some of the tips. already was using heating pad which agree does help. Also seen other ideas randomly around the web lately like chocolates that supposedly help cramps – wonder if it works
    meditation is good too although doesn’t necessarily take the pain away – just a little stress

• Logm
      April 1, 2017 / 6:02 am

This was great information. I will be sure to pass this on.

4. Shannon Graham
    March 31, 2017 / 9:25 pm

I am also from a time when you didn’t talk about them. However, I have had some months where I could barely stand up WITH medicine in me. haha The heating pad is my best friend.

5. J Shan Trice
    March 31, 2017 / 4:12 pm

Wow I’ve learned a lot about my monthly by reading your post. I usually stay in bed and eat to soothe the fact that I have my menstrual yet again.

6. OhNikka
    March 31, 2017 / 2:30 pm

I have horrible cramps too! I’ve tried everything, but like you said I never know if the pain would last 2 or 3 days.

7. March 31, 2017 / 8:31 am

This is great advice. I actually use peppermint essential oils now topically on my abdomen and it literally knocks the cramps out!

• bee15
      April 1, 2017 / 4:08 am

i have to try that!!!

8. Rebecca Swenor
    March 31, 2017 / 7:51 am

These are all great tips for keeping menstrual cramps under control. I used to get such bad cramps until I had a procedure called NovaSure. It actually stopped my period but most women have shortened periods after the procedure. Thanks for sharing the tips.

9. Blair Villanueva
    March 31, 2017 / 5:35 am

Ladies, do you know that sex also helps to minimize (or for some disappear) menstrual cramps? I’ve noticed it to myself. When i was sex free, i have regular uber painful menstrual cramps.. When I started my relationship with my boyfriend, i noticed my cramps are gone. I think regular internal muscles massage is needed. Or i masturbate, and it helps me to be cramps-free 🙂

10. March 31, 2017 / 2:43 am

I used to have major issues with cramps when I was younger. As I got older, luckily I haven’t had them as bad. Thanks for sharing!

11. Curvylogic.com
    March 31, 2017 / 2:42 am

I find swimming helps me as well. It reduces the pain and relaxes me.

12. Pam
    March 31, 2017 / 2:26 am

I used to have terrible menstrual cramps. I swore by a heating pad or hot water bottle, plus Tylenol.

13. marysa
    March 31, 2017 / 12:32 am

I have terrible cramps every month, and it’s awful having to do any kind of work that one day! Glad you found some good solutions, I will have to give some of those a try too.

14. Annemarie LeBlanc
    March 30, 2017 / 11:49 pm

Menstrual cramps are something I happily said goodbye to. I only had mild Dysmenorrhea but my sister had it really bad. She took pain relievers and muscle relaxants to ease her pain and discomfort.

15. Claudia Krusch
    March 30, 2017 / 11:26 pm

I have an cramp kit I keep for these kind of days. It has a heating pad and medicine in it. I also have a stash of chocolate in there.

16. Christy Maurer
    March 30, 2017 / 6:38 pm

I used to get cramps a lot more than I do now, but when I do get them I have an essential oil that I use. It’s great finding things that help!

17. Doria Miyata Murphy
    March 30, 2017 / 5:19 pm

Great tips! I definitely find that staying physically active all month long helps ease my cramps when the time comes.

18. blm03
    March 30, 2017 / 5:02 pm

These are all great tips. I find that the heating pad and getting a good workout in really help (despite not wanting to get out of bed)!!

19. David Elliott
    March 30, 2017 / 4:32 pm

Thank you for all of the ideas here. I know I am a guy so this doesn’t personally affect me, but my daughter is just about reaching the age for her to begin her cycle. It will be good to know of things that can help.

20. Kristen Koehler
    March 30, 2017 / 2:41 pm

My cramps have never been that bad – sorry to hear yours are that debilitating. Sounds like you have some good strategies to cope!

21. March 30, 2017 / 2:36 pm

Ever since I got an IUD, my cramps have never been the same. Either I get them at full force or they are non-existent!

22. Jeanette
    March 30, 2017 / 2:16 pm

That’s interesting that yoga might help with menstrual cramps. I guess your body does know how to heal itself if you do it correctly.

23. Divya Budhraja
    March 30, 2017 / 2:01 pm

I definitely believe in the healing powers of a heating pad, hahah. Something I use is an essential oil blend called ClaryCalm. It is SO helpful!

24. Candy Kage
    March 30, 2017 / 12:43 pm

Drink plenty of fluids and stay active. Doing extra work out or just walking helps. Glad those days are over and don’t have to worry about this anymore.

25. Robin Rue
    March 30, 2017 / 11:28 am

The older I get, the worse mine get. Of course, everything changed after having kids, too. Thanks for the tips 🙂

26. Milica Radoncic Ex Momcilovic
    March 30, 2017 / 6:18 am

Thanks for these awesome tips! Since I usualy expirience very painful menstrual cramps I found this post very helpful! Thanks for sharing!

27. T-Nicole Johnson
    March 30, 2017 / 1:45 am

These are wonderful tips. I used t have really bad cramps when I was a teenager. Glad to know that yoga helps as well.

28. Andrea Broom
    March 30, 2017 / 1:32 am

This is cool. I always use a heating pad I get really bad cramps. SO this is great. Thanks!

29. Valerie CottageMakingMommy
    March 30, 2017 / 1:19 am

I need to get a hot water bottle. I don’t even know where to get one. The pharmacy?

30. March 29, 2017 / 11:48 pm

I’ve never had too many cramps. However my mom used to suffer from them. She had a heating pad that she used to swear by.

31. Allyson Greene
    March 29, 2017 / 6:47 pm

I have had to deal with this and ended up getting surgery because I had cysts that needed to be removed. I am lucky that my hubby is sweet, supportive and understanding.

32. Ola Broom
    March 29, 2017 / 6:10 pm

I am among the women fortunate enough to never have had to suffer from this dilemma. That time of the month is just mostly an annoying inconvenience for me, but nothing beyond that. Believe me I am grateful.

33. Ana John
    March 29, 2017 / 3:45 pm

I have had the worse menstrual cramps since like 4 years and even after taking a lot of treatments it didn’t get any better. Although, sufficient rest, heating pads and ice creams helped, the pain is unbearable.

34. Chelsey
    March 29, 2017 / 3:40 pm

So many factors, but a couple of these I haven’t considered – thanks for sharing.

35. March 29, 2017 / 1:47 pm

I do try to jog and that helps with the cramps sometimes. I also have a heating pad. Chocolate also helps.

36. Chelf Chelfdom
    March 29, 2017 / 12:48 pm

I’ve had 3 surgeries during the past year, all of them horrible. Now I’m just getting back to normal with my cycle and that was really helpful to read. For me, light excercise and good food does the trick 🙂

37. Blair Villanueva
    March 29, 2017 / 7:13 am

I think menstrual cramps are like muscle pains internally so i do exercise regularly. And it works!

38. Shilpa Bindlish
    March 29, 2017 / 7:03 am

Must read for every woman. I’ve tried all remedies except yoga and it would certainly be a life-saviour if work on me.