The Best Things to Do in Cyprus for First Time Visitors

The best things to do in Cyprus for first time visitors are many but also depend on what time of vacation you’re after. I am never one to sit down in one place, I love exploring the land and experience the culture. In today’s post I aim to share with you what I think are the best things to do in Cyprus for first time visitors.

best things to do in cyprus

Where is Cyprus?

Cyprus is an island in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea lying to the north of Egypt, southeast of Greece and norther of Israel. Cyprus has three international airports: Pafos, Limassol and Larnaca international. The country has no railway station so your kids of transport is: private taxi, hire a car or public transport. I have tried all three and I would recommend either hire a car or use private taxi because public transport isn’t always dependable.

What are The Best Things to do in Cyprus for First Time Visitors?

This question is subjective, and depends on what time of vacationer you are. Cyprus will offer you both lazy on the beach days and explore the entire island. Cyprus is a small island and in about 4 days you can explore the entire island. As I am someone who never likes to just sit and do nothing, I choose to explore the Island and visit the major cities.

Explore Larnaca

Part of the Cyprus itinerary was to spend some time exploring parts of Larnaca which were of great interest to me. There are many places to explore in Larnaca including Church of saint Lazarus where it’s believed Lazarus was buried. One of the most favourite places is the Salt Lake where thousands of pink flamingos gather every winter. Another possibly amazing place to visit is Hala Sultan Tekke, a Muslim shrine on the banks of the Salt Lake.

Explore Nicosia

Nicosia is the capital city of Cyprus also known as Lefkosia, it is an hour away by bus from Larnaca. The capital is home to Classic Motorcycle Museum with a collection of over a 150 different motorcycles. The famous Famagusta gate is located in Nicosia but in all honesty it isn’t much to look at. To get a bird’s-eye view of Nicosia, the best place to visit is the observatory located in the old town.

Explore Limassol

It would be deceitful of me if I told you what you can do and explore in Limassol when all I did was walk the beach. I feel it’s one of the most beautiful towns second to Pafos in Cyprus and even has such an awesome beach. One thing you can rely on it having great views wherever you’re in Limassol along the cost. There is an abundance of amazing shops and even awesome shopping mall.

Explore Pafos (or Paphos)

Pafos did not give off the best first impressions due to the redevelopment of most areas in the city. But it sure did give a great end to an amazing visit to this Mediterranean city on the southwest coast of Cyprus. With such an incredible driving into the city from Limassol (2 hours on the bus), the coastline was absolutely breathtaking. Pafos certainly has amazing beaches but even more captivating outside Coral beach and tourist area was the tomb of kings.

Where to stay in Cyprus

Cyprus has no shortage of varied accommodation options. They have you covered with hotels, resorts, private villas to backpacked hostels. Dependent on what you choose, majority of places will either be right on the beach front or a short walk away.

Weather in Cyprus

Like most Mediterranean islands, the weather is mostly sunny but does experience a change in season.

Climate: subtropical-Mediterranean climate; heatwaves possible Jul–Aug; rainfall mid-Nov–Mar.

Currency in Cyprus

Euros

The post is not exhaustive as there are so many Best Things to Do in Cyprus for First Time Visitors.

1. rika agustini
    March 26, 2017 / 9:17 pm

I have never been to Cyprus! These places look amazing, i would want to visit someday!

2. Fi Ni Neachtain
    March 25, 2017 / 6:23 am

I’ve never been to Cyrus but it really does look so beautiful. It’s great to know that there’s lots to do there too.

3. Natalia Molinero Mingorance
    March 24, 2017 / 3:06 pm

those are really lovely places! Cyprus looks so beautiful!!

4. Althea Penelope
    March 24, 2017 / 9:51 am

One of the best place to visit. Thank you for this guide.

5. Alison Rost
    March 24, 2017 / 5:48 am

Our neighbors have visited Cyprus a number of times and after hearing their stories .. we really want to go. I’m so glad you were able to visit all of the different parts. Your photos are amazing .. thank-you for sharing them with us. They make us all the more inspired!

6. Vrithi Pushkar
    March 24, 2017 / 2:09 am

Cyprus is on my list of places i want to visit, This looks like a great guide, thank you!

7. Sandy & Vyjay
    March 23, 2017 / 11:56 pm

I have always been fascinated by Cyprus. The name itself conjures up images of an exotic place out in the Mediterranean. Your post is really refreshing, we do not see many posts on Cyprus. Sll the places listed by you look wonderful to get away to.

8. Shannon Graham
    March 23, 2017 / 7:59 pm

That looks and sounds like my kind of place to visit! So jealous! I need to take a trip SO soon.

9. Kara
    March 23, 2017 / 5:14 pm

It is a beautiful Island isn’t it. I always find it odd that the coast is so warm but it can get chilly on the mountains

10. Rebecca Swenor
    March 23, 2017 / 12:58 pm

This is an awesome guide to visiting Cyprus for the first time. I have never thought to visit Cyprus but it sounds like a great place to visit some day. These photos are just gorgeous and I would love to visit the island some day. Thanks for sharing the information.

11. Annemarie LeBlanc
    March 23, 2017 / 7:51 am

Your photos are stunning! I’ve never been to Cyprus and I wish I could, soon! We haven’t planned out a vacation plan for this year, so maybe we can squeeze in a side trip to this beautiful place!

12. Heather @ Kraus House Mom
    March 23, 2017 / 1:44 am

I would love to visit Cyprus. I want to go to all around the Mediterranean, it’s so beautiful.

13. Holly H
    March 22, 2017 / 10:35 pm

I was about to say I’d love to go to Cyprus before remembering that I have actually been before – but only when I was a toddler and I really don’t remember much apart from losing my teddybear! I’d love to visit now I have a family of my own, so will definitely be coming back to this post if we do book tickets to go!

14. Alli Smith
    March 22, 2017 / 8:31 pm

My husband and I have talked several times about visiting Cyprus. Now I’m wanting to go more than ever. It’s on my travel bucket list.

15. March 22, 2017 / 8:11 pm

This is such a great post, more so as I am toying with the idea of going in July/august to Cyprus.

16. Joanna
    March 22, 2017 / 6:50 pm

I’d love to visit Cyprus. Like you I love to explore rather than just be on the beach or around the pool all day.

17. Pam
    March 22, 2017 / 5:36 pm

I have always wanted to go to Cyprus. It sounds like such a great place to visit. There is so much to do and see.

18. Jeanette
    March 22, 2017 / 3:42 pm

I definitely have Cyprus on my list of places to visit! I am hoping at one point I will get to explore it like you have. There looks like there’s so many places to visit there.

19. March 22, 2017 / 3:09 pm

Oh my, I’d love to visit Cyprus some day! Your photos are gorgeous.

20. March 22, 2017 / 2:43 pm

I really love the refreshing sites in Mediterranean country like Cyprus. It would be great seeing this site and also admire the serenity of the ocean.

21. March 22, 2017 / 2:38 pm

I have heard so many good things about Cyprus. The beaches and the sites look amazing. It is one of the places I have to visit on my wish list.

22. Laura Dove
    March 22, 2017 / 12:55 pm

I’ve never been to Cyprus but its on my list of places to visit! It looks so beautiful!!

23. Candy Kage
    March 22, 2017 / 12:34 pm

I have never been to Cyprus but your photos look beautiful. We have been to Greece and some of the other islands and enjoyed ourselves. Looks like a great place to visit on vacation.

24. FussFreeJen
    March 22, 2017 / 12:32 pm

I’ve had friends and family visit Cyprus and I hear great things about it. Looks wonderful, I do like to visit somewhere with lots to see and do.

25. Robin Rue
    March 22, 2017 / 12:12 pm

Cyprus was not even on my radar until I read this here today. It sounds like a lovely place to visit 🙂

26. March 18, 2017 / 6:48 pm

My best friend is from Larnaca from Cyprus and I am dying to go out there soon! Glad you were able to visit different parts of Cyprus x

27. WanderingRedHead
    March 18, 2017 / 2:28 pm

Thanks for this great info. I really want to go to Cyprus and pinning this for when I do! Beautiful pics!