10 Solo Female Travel Tips

“TRAVEL is about the GORGEOUS feeling of teetering in the unknown – unknown”

I have been traveling solo for about 2+ years now so I guess I qualify for solo female traveler badge. Traveling is one luxury I hope never to lose in my lifetime. Because I feel it’s more important to see or visit or place yourself than to always just hear about it. Traveling certainly opens ones mind and broadens ones thinking. But that does not mean it does not have its own dangers. Hence why today I have chosen to share my top 10 solo female travel tips.

I had mentioned in solo travelers consider airport transfer the importance of always being safe. As women we are more vulnerable than men because well some imbecile is always lurking. Safety shouldn’t just be a thing you practice abroad but in everyday life but that’s not to say don’t have fun.

10 Solo Female Travel Tips

10 Solo Female Travel Tips

With that being said, here are some of my 10 solo female travel tips that I practice when I travel. Regardless of whether I am traveling alone or with other people I implement these tips as well.

#1 – Electronic and Paper copies ~ Travel Documents and Money

Whenever I travel I change a small amount of money for my destination. I ensure I check the hotel or hostel preference for settling bills etc whether card or cash is required. Similar thing for travel documents, I have airline apps so I can have electronic ticket but I like to print a copy for unforeseen eventualities.

#2 – Travel with empty bottle

Anyone who travels loads knows you always end up buying water wherever you go. Some hotels and hostels offer water coolers so makes sense to have spare bottle to stock up and save money.

#3 – Be insured

It’s crazy to think how many people chance it when traveling abroad and not purchasing travel insurance. Personally I think it’s a risky move but that’s just the cautious in me. A few years ago I upgraded my account with NatWest to get one which not only had travel insurance but breakdown cover too. The account offers many other benefits which I don’t use all the time but 90% I do.

#4 – Always think of #1

No not the first tip above but #1 is you! Your safety before anyone else is more important. It pays to research where you’re going and how you will be moving around than going in dark. I will admit for most of Europe I do minimal research because most are like the UK but research nonetheless.

#5 – Tell someone where you are

If something ever happened whilst abroad it would be wise that someone knows if they don’t hear from you for so long. I always message my family what’s app group and also always check in on my Facebook so people know where I am. This is mostly because we don’t get stamps in our passports anymore but for family too.

#6 – Research your accommodation

If you’re going to be staying in a hotel throughout the duration of your visit then certain things will be there anyway. Things like towels, shower gels etc which means you don’t need to pack those items. You still can if you want but it helps to check and see where you can save space and money.

#7 – Research your destination

This is a no brainer but a nice to be reminded of kind of tip. I randomly google up places I want to visit and use trip advisor lots for ideas. Also I check with fellow bloggers especially those who’ve been or just returned from same destination. It pays to know what to do in a foreign land and what to avoid.

#8 – Respect the culture

There is nothing I despise more than people who don’t respect culture of the country they are a guest in. Some people want people and culture to conform to them and not them adapting. Always respect the culture of the land otherwise you might get into trouble.

#9 – Portable charger and cables

These are my life line as a blogger I am always on my phone. I have one cable with multiple leads to charge my gadgets and the portable charger itself. It makes it easier to have such a cable so you can charge multiple devices at once. Always pack a universal adapter and USB cables, you can even hook your cable to the tv to charge your phone.

#10 – Be friendly and polite but not too friendly

As mentioned in respecting local culture it pays to be friendly but first know about the culture. Some being overly friendly could be misconstrued and vice versa. I have made many great friends since I started traveling just because I was nice. Not everyone will like you or want to be your friend but that’s ok.

And there you have it, 10 solo female travel tips. It is always fun and absolutely exhilarating once you get out there and explore the world. I won’t like it can be terrifying too especially the first even 5th time the only difference is each trip teaches you something. It teaches you to be confident, brave and how to manage your anxiety or even shyness. You discover what you’re capable of, when you realize what you’ve accomplished the feeling is second to none.

Go out their fellow warriors and conquer the world 🌎 be it solo or in groups. Whatever you do, do not stop traveling!

1. VintageFolly
    June 6, 2017 / 4:35 pm

I’ve only ever travelled solo in the UK and there’s something really liberating about it. These tips are great whether you’re travelling alone or not. X

2. OhNikka
    May 24, 2017 / 5:46 am

I used to solo travel for work. It was a fun experience. I still would like to plan a girls trip soon.

3. Laura Rocksteady
    May 21, 2017 / 12:34 am

Really great tips! I did about 2yrs of solo travel before having kids and loved every minute. Like you said health insurance is really important as well as keeping people updated as to where you are

Laura x

4. May 20, 2017 / 3:58 pm

I haven’t done a whole lot of solo travel – actually none since I got married 12 years ago! These are great tips! I am not sure that I am brave enough to get out there anymore.

5. Rebecca Swenor
    May 20, 2017 / 11:33 am

These are great tips for those females traveling alone. It is so important to research where you are going and what you will be doing. Telling people where you are is a big thing too along with respecting the culture. Thanks for shairng the information.

6. May 20, 2017 / 9:52 am

Fab tips, I always think doing your research is the most important thing so you know what to expect 🙂

7. Valerie Marsden-Gray
    May 20, 2017 / 1:45 am

Always do your research when you have to travel anywhere. I try not to travel alone whenever I can.

8. Tiara Wilson
    May 19, 2017 / 9:58 pm

I absolutely N E V E R travel alone. I have a cute little family that I like to pack up and drag along with me. ❤

9. Amanda
    May 19, 2017 / 5:07 pm

#5 and #6 are a must! I’ve never traveled alone before but you’ve got me curious. Sounds like a great way to explore and get in touch with your inner self.

10. May 19, 2017 / 12:12 am

I’ve never travelled alone! I’m too much of a wimp. I don’t even like walking alone! Haha. But these are fantastic tips for solo travelers! It’s so important to do your research, plan ahead and tell people where you are!

11. May 18, 2017 / 9:26 pm

I love the idea of taking an empty bottle, it’s something I wouldn’t even think to do!

12. Shannon Graham
    May 18, 2017 / 7:45 pm

I don’t attempt traveling alone. I just don’t think it’s smart in this current society.

13. Marceline Dementori
    May 18, 2017 / 7:08 pm

Keeping people updated is so important. You should always make sure that a family member knows where you are. These are helpful tips!

14. May 18, 2017 / 7:08 pm

I have never travelled alone before! I would love to someday and I think these are great tips. It’s important to have copies of everything.

15. KGR
    May 18, 2017 / 1:28 pm

I’ve never travelled by myself so I wouldn’t know where to start. But these tips are great especially with the water bottle idea!

16. marilyn ordenis
    May 18, 2017 / 12:03 pm

I’m bookmarking this. I will have my first solo trip to Singapore next week and I’m so excited. Yay!

17. J Kim
    May 18, 2017 / 8:21 am

I always keep electronic copies of my documents when traveling too! Thanks for sharing all these tips! Anyone who travels alone should be ready for anything!

18. David Elliott
    May 18, 2017 / 7:23 am

I liked the last one which was to be friendly, but not to be overly friendly as that could be misinterpreted. I suppose that is true of any relationship in life.

19. My Teen Guide
    May 18, 2017 / 7:07 am

Thanks for these tips. Personally, I think Tips I, 2, 5 and 8 are the most important. We can also bring some of those water purifying tablets/filters for extra precaution.

20. polarbelle
    May 18, 2017 / 7:02 am

Good tips. I traveled alone for several years. Safety is job one. Awareness of surroundings is important. And water!! Best tip of all.