5 Safe Driving Tips for New Drivers

As a fairly new driver myself I am all about knowing safety practices when I am on the road. Just because I have qualified doesn’t mean I know everything I need to all because we are not trained for all eventualities. If you think about it 90% of learners only do it on a dry day no other weather to contend with. That is what we are familiar with and become confident in but then we panic in other weather conditions. I am lucky to have driven in really thick fog (driving test), rainy days and clear days. To ensure I am well prepared for the road, here are some of the safe driving tips I am following.

Safe driving tips for new drivers

Once you learn to drive you open yourself to a world of many possibilities. The many public transport nuisances and limitations are removed and now you can travel to the next town without crossing 70 villages. Don’t get me wrong I do love the idyllic routes that some buses take but when you’re late it’s not so idyllic anymore. Before are some of my 5 safe driving tips for new drivers that I myself I am following.

Related: Ten Things New Drivers should know

safe driving tips

Don’t panic!!

The day I bought my car I had to say a little prayer to the big man before I left the dealership. With dad following me behind I drove confidently (shook afterwards) home but turning into my road I made a slight blunder (coasting). The made the car swing in so fast I could have hit someone or another car if there was one, luckily there wasn’t. My dad saw that and afterwards told me in a stern voice to never to that again. What he didn’t know is I panicked and almost shit myself driving to manoeuvre that bend. I must confess I hate turning into cul-de-sacs especially when I don’t have clear view of where I am entering.

Drive now, text or call later

There are many times I have seen drivers on their phones and though it’s illegal now some still do it. It looked cool in the movies but it only takes a second to lose concentration and cause an accident. If you need to make or take or call or even text, find a safe place, Park.

Get to know your car

I will confess I still don’t know what all the blinkers on my dashboard are and what they mean. When I collaborated with go-girl back in February I was so happy to have the infographic they had shared. It has honestly been of great help to me as I get to know my car and what everything means. Another thing one needs to know as a new driver is how to check your MOT expiry date. Most of us newer drivers have no clue but it is very important to learn this before we hit the road.

Related: New Driver ~ Learn about your car

new driver

Drive Alone

As soon as I passed my test on that foggy afternoon I knew I had too much adrenaline pumping. Thankfully the law(??) doesn’t allow for newly qualified to drive immediately after passing the test, according to my instructor. I didn’t drive until a few days later with my dad, where I drove home I felt like a learner. After I got my own car, I drove home and it was exciting and nerve-racking. It’s advisable to only start taking passengers once you’re truly comfortable as passengers can be distractions.

Practice!! practice

The day after I got my car I got up around 5am with barely any cars on the road. It was a great feeling driving around, teaching myself through practice what to do when. Confession! I missed all my turns, when I said ok I will turn to go home my execution was late. That caused me to practice even more when I should start preparing for the manoeuvre and how to execute it. I also practiced reverse parking and parallel parking.

There are so many things we need to learn as we navigate the pearl motorways. I know I am constantly learning something new every time I sit in my car and drive somewhere. It’s a whole new world out there and I am thankful I managed to achieve my long time goal.

1. Michelle Kneece Waller
    June 2, 2017 / 3:29 pm

These are all great tips for kids who are just starting driving. Going to share with my step daughter.

2. June 1, 2017 / 3:29 pm

These are great tips for any new driver! Knowing your car is more important than one might think.

3. Karlyn Cruz
    June 1, 2017 / 12:37 pm

What a brilliant and helpful tips! These are really helpful. When I bought my car I always panic but I think it’s normal to a new driver.

4. Doran
    May 31, 2017 / 10:26 pm

These are some great tips! Its been so long since I started driving that its like second nature for me! Xx-Doran

5. May 31, 2017 / 10:17 pm

I love this post! While I’ve been driving for about 10 years now, I can relate to the feelings of being scared of driving. After my first car accident, I was terrified to get back behind the wheel! I found that not playing the radio and keeping both of my hands on the wheel helped me get back into the swing of things.

6. Cindy Nicoletti
    May 31, 2017 / 8:47 pm

When my children went for their driving test I was a wreck. I had taught them to drive and also they went to drivers ed. It is so difficult as a new driver especially if you are the mom of the new driver

7. Alayna
    May 31, 2017 / 6:55 pm

If only I had read this before my first drivers test… there would have been a lot less tears! Great tips 🙂

8. Marceline Dementori
    May 31, 2017 / 5:39 pm

I haven’t reached this point yet. I think it’s awesome that you’re giving these tips. It’s really important that people would put their phones aside when they’re driving.

• May 31, 2017 / 6:52 pm

You will soon I am sure and thanks. I love sharing tips that are helping me too

9. May 31, 2017 / 5:29 pm

New drivers scare me! I was just hit by a teenager the other day and it was a headache, he tboned my car and no matter what I did to try to avoid it I couldn’t. It is best to prevent it, thanks for the tips!

• May 31, 2017 / 6:51 pm

OMG I am so sorry to hear that, hope you’re ok. I am scared of fellow new drivers too

10. Ave T
    May 31, 2017 / 1:52 pm

LOL! The blinkers infographic is so good! Getting to know your car is really important so you can concentrate on driving instead of figuring out what all the blinkers show.

• May 31, 2017 / 6:51 pm

Exactly and yes the blinkers are just too many

11. May 31, 2017 / 4:04 am

It seems like just yesterday that I was learning to drive. My VW Bug was a manual transmission, and I can still remember my uncle squished in the passenger seat patiently talking me through as I killed it (over and over again). ps: To this day I still drive a stick x

• May 31, 2017 / 6:51 pm

Awww bless, I am driving a manual too. I worked too hard to learn to drive a stick shift to trade it in for a an automatic lol

12. Alicia Taylor
    May 31, 2017 / 1:21 am

Please keep spreading the message about texting and driving. It’s as bad as drinking and driving.

• May 31, 2017 / 6:50 pm

13. Enricoh Alfonzo Naidu
    May 30, 2017 / 8:40 pm

hahahaha i relate so much to this post. i admit i too don’t know what all the blinkers in my car do hhahaha its been fun figuring it out as the need arises. awesome and helpful driving safe tips shared here. thanks

• May 31, 2017 / 6:50 pm

Hahaha I know right, there are too many bloody blinkers to know, thank God for the car manual which I am glued to

14. tara pittman
    May 30, 2017 / 6:29 pm

I remember the first time I drove my car. I hit the curb bad when I parked it.

• May 31, 2017 / 6:49 pm

Done that already lol

15. Crystal Carder
    May 30, 2017 / 4:29 pm

Love these tips! I always hate to hear about car accidents involving young drivers. I especially agree with the drive now, text or call later, this one is one of my pet peeves while driving.

• May 31, 2017 / 6:49 pm

Thank you and so true, it’s always so sad to hear they died behind the wheel because they were texting etc

16. Robin Rue
    May 30, 2017 / 1:47 pm

Such good advice. It is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the car so you dont have to fiddle with it while you drive.

• May 31, 2017 / 6:48 pm

Thank you and yes, it’s crazy how daunting the blinkers can be for new drivers like myself