Instagram
3   154
1   523
6   319
10   570
5   561

Is Your Heating on in September?

With the recent cold snap comes either a dreaded realization or gleeful anticipation – winter is just around the corner. Whether you enjoy the chilly months or would rather hibernate, there are a few choice nuggets of wisdom to bear in mind when braving the cold in the coming months:

heating

Is Your Heating on in September?

First of all, you’re probably going to want to put your heating on, if you haven’t already. Some people invest in a cheaper solution, like an electric heater or a wood burner, while others just limit the central heating usage to a couple of hours a day, or wait until off-peak times to use it.

Regardless of which method you use, having your home heated by an appliance or internal system can be essential for making those long, nippy nights more comfortable for the whole family – however, careful consideration of the increased risk of fire during this portion of the year is a must.

It’s not all doom and gloom, however – Ironmongery Experts sell dorgards at competitive prices, so if you want a little extra peace of mind it can be a worthwhile investment. These devices can be attached to the bottom of the door a plunger that keeps the door open at any angle you choose. Designed to retrieve the plunger upon the activation of the fire alarm, a dorgard will ensure any door it’s applied to will automatically shut in the event of a fire, making it a crucial countermeasure in the riskiest months of the year.

If you need someone to manage the implementation of one of these potentially life-saving devices, a local London Handyman from Handy Squad can install fire safety equipment in all its forms. Dedicated to fulfilling a diverse range of home-improvement needs, they’ve provided a first-class service for over 10 years.

So whether you like the season or not – stay safe, warm, and happy this winter.

This article was written by David Newman, managing director of Ad Lab – Magento E-Commerce Growth Specialists. David is a regular contributor of lifestyle blogs. Writing about a variety of topics such as health, sports, hobbies and everything in-between.

1. September 23, 2017 / 7:11 pm

It’s too hot in Atlanta to turn our heat on in September! Maybe mid-October at the earliest.

2. Katrina Downie
    September 21, 2017 / 9:36 pm

My September heating is very much on more so for early morning rather than afternoon or evening I love this cosy time of year love the idea of dorgards I will check them out

3. September 21, 2017 / 1:40 pm

We put our heating on about two weeks ago… Haha. And I never knew there were alarms like that… Sounds like a great idea!

4. September 21, 2017 / 10:07 am

mine was on last month its not so warm is it lol, but im a lover of the colder days makes more for hot chocs and cosy evening s x

5. Hungry_Healthy_Happy
    September 20, 2017 / 9:37 pm

We hold off putting ours on until halloween, but it has been unseasonably cold.

6. The Mum Diaries
    September 20, 2017 / 9:12 pm

My heating stays off until December, until then jumpers and socks until we can see our breath! only kidding, but i do try and delay the thermostat coming on!

7. Helen Clark
    September 20, 2017 / 3:10 pm

Dorguards sound a brilliant idea. I have to admit I’ve been starting to put my heating on for an hour in the morning. There’s nothing worse than showering and getting dressed in the chilly air.

8. mummyslittlemonkey
    September 20, 2017 / 2:43 pm

I didn’t realise there were doorstops that could be linked to your alarm – how clever!

9. Louise Smith
    September 20, 2017 / 2:19 pm

I try not to put the heating on until it’s absolutely necessary. But I caved last week as the kids were shivering like crazy when they got out of the bath, so I put it on for an hour so they’d warm up quickly 🙂

Louise x

10. shoshana sue
    September 20, 2017 / 11:57 am

We have just waltz into warmer weather over here but during winter I would like to follow your tips David!

11. Lauretta
    September 20, 2017 / 10:47 am

As much as possible, we don’t unless it gets too cold.

12. Lauretta
    September 20, 2017 / 10:46 am

As much as possible, we don’t unless we can’t take the cold anymore.

13. TheMummyToolbox
    September 20, 2017 / 10:33 am

We have been holding out as long as possible! although the mornings are almost unbearable so it won’t be long

14. Melanie
    September 19, 2017 / 11:53 pm

My heating is on in September and there is deffo a cold chill in the air :)x

15. September 19, 2017 / 10:22 pm

Great post, we’ve only started putting on our heating for a few hours a day, bearing in mind the cost. This sounds like a good service x

16. Melanie Edjourian
    September 19, 2017 / 9:58 pm

Yes it sure is I can’t cope with the cold. I also have electric heaters to speed it up where required as sometimes you need that extra boost.

17. September 19, 2017 / 8:04 pm

We haven’t turned our heating on this year yet, but try not to blast it too much during the colder months.

18. September 19, 2017 / 4:07 pm

I try not to turn the heat on so early. I love to crispness of autumn and the fresh air it brings. I think I’d just wear extra clothes and put a heavier blanket on my bed at night. Anything to conserve energy 🙂 I think I would opt for the electric heater if it was too cold however.

19. September 19, 2017 / 2:57 pm

It’s getting to around that time of year, isn’t it! Hopefully we still get a few more weeks before it has to be on most of the time!

20. September 19, 2017 / 1:53 pm

I haven’t put my heating on just yet but I probably will once the weather gets colder. That sounds like a great service as well x

21. September 19, 2017 / 1:11 pm

I’ve just started putting the heating on for an hour in the mornings and evenings. We’ve got fire doors on all our doors which is great for safety.

22. Newcastle Family Life
    September 19, 2017 / 12:15 pm

My heating has been on a few times the past week as it has been freezing and wet here in Newcastle. I don’t normally put it on this early x

23. September 19, 2017 / 10:47 am

Not yet but I did think about it a few evenings already. Mine is electric. I didn’t know about these door fire security devices. What if the door shuts and you are in the room though?

24. September 19, 2017 / 10:47 am

The heating is always on whenever I feel cold which mostly happens. Thanks for the tips, definitely taking extra caution and staying safe.

25. September 19, 2017 / 9:58 am

I live in a block of flats and find that I rarely need to put my heating on so mine isn’t on and probably won’t get switched on for a while x

26. Kara
    September 19, 2017 / 8:32 am

Not yet. I am stubborn and won’t put the heating on until at least October. We are having our doors replaced soon though

27. September 19, 2017 / 8:00 am

Not yet but we still have 35C here… long and hot summer this year in BG

28. Super Busy Mum
    September 18, 2017 / 9:35 pm

Oh yes, the heating is well & truly on – for the first time since April!!

29. KGR
    September 18, 2017 / 9:01 pm

As I’m typing this I’ll admit my heating is on! It’s been freezing in the house and we have a 6 month old so I can’t risk her getting ill. I need to shop,around for energy suppliers as I don’t want a huge bill come the end of the year. X

30. September 18, 2017 / 8:27 pm

Yes, my heating is on…I HATE being cold, but at the same time, it’s mainly on because the bills are included in my rent, so I don’t need to worry about the sudden cost of heating! So I’m going to make use of that whilst I can until I move into my new home this Christmas!

Kayleigh x

31. September 18, 2017 / 4:08 pm

I have to admit my heating has been on, not everyday and not for long but we’ve had to pop it on from time to time as I’ve been shivering.

32. Laura Dove
    September 18, 2017 / 2:36 pm

Yes!!! To be honest my heating is on all year round, I am ALWAYS cold and our house is quite big and loses heat!! I’m dreading the winter!

33. LucyDorrington
    September 18, 2017 / 11:52 am

I have managed not to put the heating on yet, but I have conceded to slippers!

34. Little Steps
    September 18, 2017 / 10:39 am

No, our heating isn’t on yet. We usually put our heating on in October, unless of course it suddenly turns really cold 🙂 x

35. Natasha Mairs
    September 18, 2017 / 8:56 am

I have never heard of one of these before, but they sound like a good idea. I have just started to feel the cold, but the heating hasn’t gone on yet.

36. Jinzo_2400
    September 18, 2017 / 8:24 am

83 degrees here this weekend in my part of the world….no heat needed as of yet.

37. September 18, 2017 / 7:49 am

I’m afraid we put our heating on this weekend! We held out on the jumpers for as long as we could!

38. Lauren Porter
    September 18, 2017 / 7:35 am

Great idea, never thought about using them in the home. And yes our heating is on lol x