Dinner at Wildwood Restaurant Didcot

Wildwood’s mission is to create delicious meals for all occasions in a truly unique style and catering to all. This was my 6th visit to the Didcot Wildwood restaurant and the experience always differs. What never changes is the quality of service I have received every single time I visit the restaurant.

The Wildwood chain has several restaurants around the country each offering a well crafted menu catering to all. From a wide grill selection to the pizzas and pastas to match each taste and not forgetting the salads. What I love about the restaurant chain is the respect they have for each town they open in. They try to keep as much of the building’s history as they can and also match the town’s theme. It’s location in Didcot is perfect, right in the town center and a minute walk from the cinema. A convenient location for those after a romantic dinner date and finish off with a visit to the cinema.

Wildwood Restaurant Didcot

Dinner at Wildwood Restaurant Didcot

Every week a friend and I try different restaurants during our weekly catch-up and this week it was Wildwood. As I mentioned before, I have been to this branch a number of times and this was the sixth. You have an option to either book online or turn up in person, book so as not to be disappointed. For dinner I would highly recommend booking in advance as it can get full pretty quickly. You can book with online or calling the Wildwood Restaurant branch closest to you.

The service {4/5}

The restaurant was pretty busy when we arrived, many where having their work Christmas parties at this location. We were seated within two minutes of our arrival and less than a minute given menus including the Christmas menu. I love a good Christmas menu but this week I didn’t feel like indulging in some Christmas grotto. After a few minutes our waiter came to take our drinks order but we were ready for meals order too. I was truly impressed with the service except for when we had to ask to order dessert. Other than that it was a good service, lovely staff and well trained.

Wildwood Restaurant Didcot

The ambiance {5/5}

Because many companies were having their Christmas meal it was pretty packed but not noisy. The atmosphere was more relaxed, the service was flowing smoothly and so was the kitchen and bar. People looked chilled, happy and relaxed and the romantic feel of the place was exaggerated. I have always loved the dimmed lighting in Wildwood Restaurant Didcot, it’s perfect for all date types.

The Food {3/5}

For the starter I had chosen calamari with mayonnaise dip, this is a must and I always have it here. They make the best calamari ever and I am yet to find a place that does it better than them. It is always deliciously mouth watering that I often wonder if I should order it for mains too. I highly recommend trying the calamari for your starter, its heavenly divine.

Wildwood Restaurant Didcot

Often when I visit the Wildwood Restaurant Didcot the food is on point except for the oven roasted Caesar salad. I have tried the grill {perfect}, the pasta {astonishing} and even the pizza {mouth watering} but the salad is disappointing. This was my second time trying it and was hoping for a better result and honestly it was same as last time. The oven roasted chicken is ‘grilled’ so the charcoal burns taste quite bitter with the lettuce. There is always more chicken than lettuce which is fine but the chicken has a bitter taste to it.

Wildwood Restaurant Didcot

Mouth-watering dessert!!!

Another thing I often do during my visit to Wildwood Restaurant Didcot is indulge in some dessert. After the disaster salad I knew only Eaton Mess would be able to clear up this misunderstanding with my main. You can never go wrong with a good dessert like Eaton Mess and Wildwood definitely does it better. Wildwood makes their Eaton Mess sundae with meringue, fresh cream, mixed berries, vanilla ice-cream and raspberry sauce. All this delicious flavour is served in one tall glass for your viewing pleasure and enjoyment.

Wildwood Restaurant Didcot

For the drinks I requested Bulmer’s cider but instead I was given the Wyldwood cider. As I had already started to drink it I opted not to make a fuss and went with it. It’s not a cider I have tried before and not sure I will again but it was a nice drink. I think I would consider trying it again with the right food pairing for sure.

Wildwood Restaurant Didcot

The Price {5/5}

The total price for our night out was £65, this included; two starters, two mains and two desserts plus a drink each. I had the cider, she had a glass of Merlot so I think the price is pretty reasonable. Often I complain about how much we spent in some restaurants {Cinnamon Kitchen} but this was nothing.

Final Thoughts!

Though I did not enjoy the ceasar salad, Wildwood Restaurant Didcot has always excelled in their service. Apart from the salad, their food is excellent and varied and caters to all even picky eaters. The staff are always on hand to help with a smiling and positive attitude. The ambiance of the restaurant is peaceful, cheerful, relaxing and perfect for all occasions. I would definitely recommend Wildwood Restaurant Didcot as a place you can enjoy lunch or dinner for a date, with friends or family.

Disclaimer: This is not a commissioned post, all opinions shared are my own and from personal experience.

1. December 30, 2017 / 9:06 pm

The food at this restaurant absolutely looks delicious — especially that dessert. Oh Wow! I would love to have it right now.

2. Zena's Suitcase
    December 30, 2017 / 6:56 pm

I would definitely visit here. I’m not a salad person to be fair so seeing as you’ve tried other dishes on the menu I’d be happy to give it a go

3. David E
    December 30, 2017 / 6:17 pm

Sorry about the salads that disappointed. I think that would be awful to have chicken with a bitter aftertaste. Anything bitter really I don’t like. The dessert does look amazing though, and it’s good to hear you loved the other dishes they served.

4. December 30, 2017 / 5:50 pm

I would really love to try Wildwood! The dessert looks rather mouth watering!! Thank you for the honest review!!

5. December 29, 2017 / 9:25 pm

There is a Wildwood near me and we haven’t got around to visiting yet. The food looks lovely but it’s a shame about the salad 🙁

6. December 29, 2017 / 8:49 pm

I like the way you have broken the different elements down. Thats great value for all that food including drinks. Sorry the salad wasn’t up to scratch

7. Jessica Taylor
    December 29, 2017 / 4:06 pm

Oh my goodness! That Eaton Mess sundae looks delightful! I would love to try it!

8. Dana Brillante-Peller
    December 29, 2017 / 3:45 pm

Sparkling cider is one of my weaknesses. The price was worth it! It included all the essentials 🙂

9. Sophie
    December 29, 2017 / 1:03 pm

Mmmmm, do they deliver to Belgium? ^^ I want that dessert!

10. December 29, 2017 / 7:39 am

Wow that dessert looks amazing. What a shame about the salad, who would have thought it would be that tricky to get the flavors right. Great review

11. Blair Villanueva
    December 29, 2017 / 6:03 am

The desserts are so fantastic! Looks like you had a feast 🙂
    Do they also have a New Year’s Eve package?

12. Ingrid Rizzolo
    December 28, 2017 / 11:45 pm

The calamari based appetzer, the entrees, and the dessert all look enticing. The building and its ambience is also impressive. The Wildwood Restaurant Didcot, is a definite go-to restaurant

13. December 28, 2017 / 9:20 pm

Lovely decor of the restaurant. I love calamari and would love to try how they make them. It is great that you visit different restaurants every week.

14. December 28, 2017 / 8:56 pm

This sounds like such a quaint restaurant and I love the ceiling decor. Love when there is pizza and pasta on the menu, always my go-tos!

15. December 28, 2017 / 7:32 pm

Shame about the main and that it tasted a little bitter but at least your calamari was good and you enjoyed your eton mess. It is great that the lighting created wonderful ambiance too!

16. December 28, 2017 / 7:27 pm

What a shame they don’t seem to do salad well, it can take only one dish to make a place somewhere people don’t want to go back too. That said my other half loves a good stake and I love pasta so we may just have to give it a try.

17. Sonia Cave
    December 28, 2017 / 7:13 pm

What a shame about your salad but your dessert looked amazing!

18. December 28, 2017 / 5:21 pm

I am a food fanatic and i would love to tell you that you rated the restaurant mentioning ambience and food seems to be an awareness to other goers like mine. Lovely article about this restaurant. i always spend the money on quality food though it costs extra. Your suggestions and reviews are just jolting out my minds interest to have a seek for furthermore with more extra info in future. Loved your post.

19. Kaitlynn Charalambopoulos
    December 28, 2017 / 1:58 pm

Looks like a great restaurant. When I am out with friends, it doesn’t matter what I eat – the ambiance is always important for me. But, when I’m spending money it always helps that the food is good 🙂

20. December 28, 2017 / 9:32 am

Shame about the wrong cider but overall it sounds like the service and friendliness made up for it.

21. BestiesNotepad
    December 28, 2017 / 4:41 am

Food comes first in my list while deciding an eating place while you gave them only 60% vote there. Although good ambience and price is always a go go. Seems like I’d like to give it a try.

• December 28, 2017 / 7:31 am

I think apart from the disappointing salad everything else was above average and would go back because of that.

22. Denay DeGuzman
    December 28, 2017 / 12:19 am

I spotted delicious spaghetti with tiger prawns on that menu! Mmmm…I want a taste of that Eaton Mess sundae! I wish there was a Wildwood Kitchen Restaurant near me.

• December 28, 2017 / 7:32 am

I always have something Spaghetti when I go there but wanted to give the salad a second chance unfortunately it didn’t match up. The Eaton mess on the other hand was spot on

23. December 27, 2017 / 9:55 pm

I will take that dessert please. It looks incredible. I’ve always loved ice cream.

I’m sorry the salad wasn’t up to par though!

• December 28, 2017 / 7:35 am

Thanks Amber, at least I had the dessert to enjoy

24. December 26, 2017 / 6:29 pm

I love your idea of visiting different restaurants every week really makes you know what you have around and also get to have new experiences. This place looks great by the way.

• December 28, 2017 / 7:57 am

Thanks Joan, it has become our thing and I really love it.

25. Jenny Kearney
    December 24, 2017 / 9:58 pm

I love eating out at this type of place. I haven’t heard of it before but I would definitely look out for it.

26. Nayna Kanabar
    December 24, 2017 / 6:29 pm

Its such a pity that the salad was a let down, the rest of the food looks great and the restaurant seems to have a great ambiance.

27. December 24, 2017 / 10:46 am

Seams like you had a great visit. Shame the salad didn’t meet your expectations but the calamari sounds fantastic and the service great even when busy

28. December 24, 2017 / 9:57 am

Hello from across the A34!

I’ve not been to the Didcot branch but I’ve had one awful meal and one okay meal at the Wantage branch. I really like the idea of their movie nights though – keep meaning to get to one of those!

C x

29. December 24, 2017 / 6:38 am

The Eton Mess does look incredible but it’s a shame about the salad x

30. December 23, 2017 / 9:51 pm

Oooh I never heard of this restaurant before. I do like the look of the foods. I must visit there soon. God i’m hungry now. xx

31. December 23, 2017 / 10:47 am

I’ve only been to Wildwood once and to be honest, I did not enjoy it but perhaps I should give them another go!

32. December 23, 2017 / 9:39 am

Oh I’ve never heard of this restaurant before. Eaton Mess is one of my favourite desserts and that one looks amazing. It’s a shame about the salad but everything else looks great.