Kutná Hora – Why it should be on your #Bucketlist

Kutná Hora is an unsuspecting little silver mining city east of Prague in the Czech Republic with UNESCO declared sites. Though a day trip from Prague is not nearly enough to explore the entire city, there are highlights. The city is underrated but slowly becoming a must visit place even with only a few hours.

Prior to my visit I had not heard of it until Good Prague Tours mentioned it as a must visit. As much as I love Prague and wish to visit every season, the Czech Republic has many incredible cities. One of those being Kutná Hora and in this article I will share the highlights of the trip. It doesn’t matter how much time you have, make time for each of these must visit sites in Kutná Hora.

Kutná Hora

Kutná Hora – Why it should be on your #Bucketlist

Are you wondering why I implore you add it to your #bucketlist on your next Czech Republic adventure. It might not have been on your radar but it’s increasingly becoming  more popular. Many tour companies offering a day excursion from Prague, it is definitely worth it.  Here is a little history on this incredible city and why it’s called the silver mining city.

The city hails from the first Cistercian monastery, Sedlec Monastery, where the monks resided. It is believed the name stems from Kutten {cowls} or kutání meaning mining in old Czech. Back in the 1200’s, the monks had a relatively peaceful and quite life, until Silver was sadly discovered. Before long the king made the town of Kutná Hora the second most important city in Bohemian times.

The money that resulted from the silver discovery led to the city being one of the wealthiest with Royal governance. It also helped fund the likes of St Barbara’s Church and Cathedral of our Lady being built. During the 13th through to the 16th centuries, the city gave Prague a run for its money. But it would later be filled with wars, invasions and natural disasters which left it poor.

From the end of the 18th century, enduring through the two world wars, Kutná Hora stands today. It is rich in history if not much else and no longer part of the Austrian monarchy. It is an incredible city that has stood the test of time even after the mines were abandoned.

Kutná Hora

Kutná Hora – Must Visit Places

The night before the visit to Kutná Hora, I made a mental note of must visit places, this post was helpful. I often make a point to visit popular places but also the not so known places. Whilst it is easy to catch public transport to the city, it made sense to do a guided tour. I booked a day trip with Premiant City Tour who organise a 5.5-hr tour of the city. Transport is provided in the fee of €22 a definite bargain and I highly recommend, to use time wisely. Here are some of the places we were able to explore on the guided tour;

Kutna Hora - St. Barbara's Cathedral

Saint Barbara’s Cathedral

St Barbara is the saint of the miners, it is believed she let light into the mines to guide the miners. I don’t know how true this is but it is part of the city and who am I to dispute this incredible legend. Would you believe me if I said this church wasn’t actually finished even though it looks complete? When our guide said it wasn’t completed because they city run out of money I was shocked. It looked pretty complete to me but he meant they did not finish the original plan. The church was meant to be bigger than it is now, which totally blew my mind as it’s a large church now.

It was declared a UNESCO World Heritage site and is one of the most famous Gothic churches in central Europe. It’s construction started back in 1388 but so much happened that it wasn’t completed until 1905. The city struggled to build the church for over 60 years because of decline of the silver mining. It then turned to the people who contributed to its completion. When you enter the church you will notice part of the ceiling is different courts of arms depicted. This is to show the families that invested in the church for it to be built to what it is today.

Related Posts: Kutna Hora amazing city

Stroll through Jesuit College

Jesuit College is located on the side of St. Barbara’s church, it was built by an Italian architect born in Vienna. For nearly 50 years the college was not completed until 1750 but the Jesuits order stayed in since 1678. Walking from the Cathedral the college is lined with astounding statues of different important men in Czech history.

Whilst the Jesuit order was abolished in 1773, the Baroque statues lined the terrace of Jesuit college. The twelve statues are depiction of the Jesuit saints including St Wenceslas. Until 1998 the College served the needs of the soldiers and now is a UNESCO Heritage site.

Kutná Hora  - Italian Court

Italian Court

Once a centre of economic power and part-time royal residence, Italian court was heavily involving in minting. The Italian Court has two parts; Royal Mint  – now an educational gallery and Royal Palace showcasing the once royal residence. Once upon a time it was an important part of Kutna Hora, the Decree was of Kutna Hora was signed here.

St. James Church

It is the most centre location in Kutná Hora located in the medieval town and the oldest church in they city. Though construction only started in 1350, by 1356 the first service was held and dedicated to virgin Mary. The construction was completed in 1420 and part of the original plan was to build two towers. Due to issues with the subsoil the plans were abandoned and now only the North tower was built. The sanctuaries are lined with some of the oldest inscriptions in Kutná Hora dating back to 1356.

Kutná Hora - Bone Church

Bone Church

When I was reading up on the Bone Church I came across this article which explained it all for me. I had heard that people who died during the Hussite Wars and the plague were burned here. The bones were late exhumed and according to legend, a blind monk stacked them up. What fascinated me the most when I visited the bone church was the court of arms. It belongs to the Schwarzenberg family and it completely made our of bones in such intrinsic detail.

It is believe that, in 1238 a monk returned with clay from Jerusalem and sprayed it onto the cemetery. This thus made it holy burial ground and before long everyone wanted to be buried here. Today it is one of the major touristy attractions in Kutná Hora. It is definitely a place to visit because while it might seem strange it is not scary at all.

THE CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION OF OUR LADY AND SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST

Today this splendid basilica is a roman catholic parish since the Sedlec monastery was abolished by Joseph II. It was built between 1290 – 1320 and is located in the old town of Kutná Hora. Literally a stone throw away from the Bone Church. During the Hussite invasion the church suffered damn but even with that it managed to scope a ward.

Kutná Hora

The church is on the UNESCO World Heritage list and one of the most important Czech Gothic Building. It was built on an old church back in 1300’s, the Abbey that burnt down during the war. During my visit to the city, the church was being prepared for service so our visit was limited. I was however allowed to take some pictures which truly made my day.

What I have shared in this article does not even cover half of what we saw in Kutná Hora, these are highlights. The city is definitely small but it has so much to offer and I am glad I took the plunge. It is super easy to get to the town though public transport operates on an hourly basis. Its less than £6 for a return ticket and most places charge a small fee to enter but definitely worth it.

1. January 30, 2018 / 12:14 am

Ohh how I’ve always wanted to go to Prague, and now this post has tempted me even more!

2. January 25, 2018 / 2:20 pm

wow this looks like a lovely place to viist! I need to go one day

3. jennifuchs
    January 25, 2018 / 9:51 am

I have to admit I’d never heard of this place before. The buildings look beautiful!

4. Alison Rost
    January 25, 2018 / 8:49 am

The churches are just so majestic. I love looking at the photos and marveling at the beautiful architecture of those buildings. I love that you also learned a bit of history too!

5. Indypassionlady
    January 25, 2018 / 7:43 am

What a historical site. I would love to visit… I just can’t tell my fiancee about the bone thing… Then we’re ok

6. Marceline Dementori
    January 25, 2018 / 12:29 am

I can imagine visiting this place and just being blown away by the Churches. The architecture is brilliant and will leave you at awe.

7. January 24, 2018 / 11:40 pm

That sounds like a such good price for such a long tour and transport. I love going on tours as you get the full experience and find places you might not of done solo 🙂 x

8. January 24, 2018 / 10:09 pm

I’ve never heard of Kutna Hora, but the buildings are stunning! The ‘Bone Church’ would creep me out a bit though!

9. Shannon Graham
    January 24, 2018 / 5:34 pm

You always list some awesome places to visit. I love the spots that aren’t overly heard of. Something new to me.

10. chubskulit
    January 24, 2018 / 4:18 pm

You are featuring places that I have never heard but they are gorgeous. I love the intricate details on those structures!

11. January 24, 2018 / 2:20 pm

I have never heard of this city before. Looks amazing.

12. Bex Smith
    January 24, 2018 / 9:52 am

What a beautiful city with stunning architecture! I do love visiting the little cities or villages close to the main tourist destination cities – they are always so fascinating but not as touristy.

13. January 24, 2018 / 9:28 am

Not somewhere I’d considered before but it looks gorgeous. I love architecture.

14. Pam W
    January 24, 2018 / 2:00 am

Wow, what a beautiful place to see. I love visiting historic sites and seeing the amazing architecture.

15. Sarah
    January 24, 2018 / 1:33 am

My mom visited a few years ago. Her pictures & stories made us what to go. Looks like you had and amazing trip too!

16. January 24, 2018 / 1:30 am

I love how you were able to get an amazing day trip with Premiant City Tour and that transport was included as well as a 5.5 hour tour of the city. I think that €22 is such a bargain!

17. OurMiniFamily
    January 24, 2018 / 1:10 am

This spot is rich in so much history and timeless preservation. The architecture is absolutely stunning! Definitely adding this to my travel list

18. January 24, 2018 / 12:09 am

This looks like an incredible destination to visit. I have never heard of Kutna Hora but I would love to check it out in person one day.

19. Candy Kage
    January 23, 2018 / 10:44 pm

Bone church sounds really creepy. You get to visit some really interesting places and areas I haven’t even heard of.

20. January 23, 2018 / 9:22 pm

Wow what an amazing looking place to go and visit, that cathedral is just WOW! There is something so beautiful about cathedrals and something that always draws me in to look around.

21. January 23, 2018 / 9:15 pm

What a stunning looking place, no wonder they’re world heritage sites. I’d heard about the bone church before, was it as eerie as it sounds?

22. January 23, 2018 / 8:38 pm

What wonderful architecture! I love visiting churches, they’re always so intricately decorated – the bone church looks incredible, with more than a touch of the macabre too!

23. January 23, 2018 / 6:18 pm

These places look fascinating. The Bone Church is very interesting, it would definitely be an experience to visit a place like that. Sounds like you had a neat time exploring Kutna Hora.

24. January 23, 2018 / 4:56 pm

I’m so glad that you got to experience Kutna Hora as it’s beautiful. I went mainly for the Bone Church but there’s so much to explore x

25. Jeanette
    January 23, 2018 / 4:02 pm

I have never heard of this place that I love to travel so I would definitely explore it. It looks like there’s a lot to check out there. I love cities and towns that have character and countries that are not out to lease their past changing architecture and stuff like that. This looks beautiful.

26. Kamika
    January 23, 2018 / 3:16 pm

I have never heard of this destination, but it looks amazing. Your pictures are beautiful and make me want to learn more about this place and add it to my bucket list.

27. January 23, 2018 / 1:16 pm

I haven’t heard of this place either but now I’m interested. I just love history and learning more about it. The bone church would be cool to see.

28. FussFreeJen
    January 23, 2018 / 1:08 pm

What a truly wonderful trip. My Mother visited Prague several years ago, and she has always raved about how beautiful it was. Your photos prove to me she wasn’t wrong. Such fascinating history, and so much to learn and see.

29. Battlemum
    January 23, 2018 / 12:58 pm

I’d never heard if Kutna Hora before reading your post but it sounds like a very interesting city to visit. Its going on our Czech bucket list!

30. January 23, 2018 / 12:27 pm

I wanted to be an architect but they talked me into nursing at my college. The shapes, lines, structures of buildings like these fascinate me. I’d love to go just to see these buildings and photograph them.

31. January 23, 2018 / 11:57 am

First time to hear about Kutna Hora and it looks like a really historic site. It would be nice to check the place out and get to learn about the heritage in their walls.

32. Alli Smith
    January 23, 2018 / 11:21 am

It’s an interesting fact that Saint Barbara’s Cathedral was never finished, yet you wouldn’t know it by looking at it. I’ve never been to Prague and this looks like a must-take trip!

33. Robin Rue
    January 23, 2018 / 10:24 am

My step son just got back from backpacking across Europe and LOVED Czechoslovakia. It was his favorite of all the countries he visited.

34. ShinnersandtheBrood
    January 23, 2018 / 9:26 am

Sounds and looks fantastic. We spent a fabulous weekend in Prague before we had the kids. Will pop this city on the list for a return visit, if we get one! Maybe in 2030! 😉