48-HRS in Toulouse: Do See Eat

If you had to spend 48-HRS in Toulouse, what would you like to do, see and eat? Would you focus your time on the significant historical parts of the city? How about spend your time seeing why this city is so popular or spend it indulging in local delicacies?

48-HRS in Toulouse

Toulouse is the fourth largest city in France but visiting it, you wouldn’t think much of it as a city. As our taxis driver said, the locals consider Toulouse to be a large village with a feel of the city. Every day except Monday’s most streets leading into the city have market stalls. Selling everything from fresh pick of your favourite botanical to the freshest fruits.  The original plan was to spend 48-HRS in Toulouse, see all popular sites and eat all the local delicacies. But then I decided to take my parents with me and decided to follow their lead.

48-HRS in Toulouse: A Little History

Unlike most cities in France, Toulouse has no mountains and it is because of that, the city was built from bricks. Clay, sand and water are readily available in the city so the locals worked with what they had. But one thing you will notice when doing a guided walk is some buildings where made from stones. Toulouse was found during the 1st century AD, it is more than 200 thousand years old.

The city has been rebuilt many times so much with only very few  old monuments dating from the roman empire. In the city a piece of the former line which was part of the roman empire dating from the 3rd century AD. This was a period of the Roman Empire, the remnants show the wall was built from bricks. Romans knew back then that a mixture of bricks and stones gave a structure strength and stability. But because the city has been rebuilt so much, there is little evidence of Roman existence.

Ville Rose meaning Pink City, comes from the fact that the bricks used to build the city were originally pink. obviously over the years the colour has faded but almost all the city is covered in the terracotta type bricks.

Only got 48-HRS in Toulouse? See these 5 places

In our Toulouse France Ultimate Guide, we’ve shared places you can visit whilst in the Occitane capital. Located in the South west of France, the city enjoys a fairly mild climate. During our visit the weather was against us, this did not stop us from exploring the city.

• Place du Capitole, with an impressive National Theatre and Town Hall, it is a must see place
  • Pont Neuf {old bridge} I love walking along the river, there is something so calming about it
  • Basilique St-Sernin, largest Romanesque Basilica church in Europe possibly the world
  • Toulouse Museum,
  • Hugo Market,

As a regular traveler, I am a huge advocate of taking the city tour bus to maximise the visit to any city. Other times it’s not necessary when everything is near by like some places in Toulouse. Almost in the museums are a walking distance from each other. I would definitely recommend doing a guided walking tour with the city tourism, it is informative and interactive.

Related: where to stay in Toulouse

Where to Eat!

As part of the press trip, city tourism had put together some incredible places that we could try out. Some we did and others we walked passed just to check out for our next visit to the city. The places we were able to try and recommend are: Les Caves de la Marechale and Le Cosmopolitain. Both of these were incredible places and we loved trying out the food with the extensive menus. Le Cosmopolitain famous for being vibrant and serving Tapas which is very popular snacking food type in Toulouse. Les caves de la Marechale we enjoyed an amazing lunch not to be missed and the best wine ever.

Other restaurant recommendations include:

• Le Murano: 5 Boulevard des Strasbourg
  • Le Picotin: 5 Impasse de la Tresorerie
  • Point d’ogre: 7 Rue Des Paradoux

48-HRS in Toulouse

What else you can Do in Toulouse

Whenever I travel I make a point of walking almost everywhere more especially after a filling breakfast or lunch. One of the things we enjoyed doing during my 48-HRS in Toulouse was walk along the river bank. There is something about walking water rush from one need to another or standing at the bridge watching life. Another thing we enjoyed about Toulouse was the number of bakeries and cafes available within the city. I think we ate more french pastry than anywhere I have ever been. Every so often there was a bakery or cafe to sit, enjoy and do some people watching.

One thing I could not resist during our visit was a spot of shopping in the city centre. They had so many sales ongoing at that time and it would have been criminal not to pick up a couple items. I always buy perfume when I visit any part of France and I wasn’t going to break that tradition. You can definitely get lost in the alleyways, the designer shops and your high street shops. Everyone knows how elegantly dressed French women are, it would be a shame not to pick up some tips.

We had such an incredible 48-HRS in Toulouse and we can not wait to go back when the weather is warmer. Toulouse is not like Paris, it is unique with strong Occitane and Spanish influence which has shaped the city. It is definitely a city to add to your travel #bucketlist.

Disclosure: Press Trip thanks to Toulouse City Tourism

1. June 9, 2018 / 9:00 am

A less now area of Toulouse is Bouquières district, just a short walk from the central Place du Capitole. It is the location of many town houses of the former Toulouse’s notables from centuries long past!

2. Sarah
    February 8, 2018 / 7:24 pm

Looks like an amazing place to visit. We’ve haven’t been to Toulouse. Lots of great restaurants too! Love that.

3. Shannon Graham
    February 7, 2018 / 9:46 pm

This place looks fantastic. I will have to make my hubby take m!

4. chubskulit
    February 7, 2018 / 6:46 pm

Can you please adopt me so I can travel with you? Lol. Kidding aside, I really appreciate you sharing all these beautiful places that I get to travel to as well even though it is just virtual tour.

5. February 7, 2018 / 5:12 pm

I have never been to Toulouse but it looks like a wonderful destination. I would definitely love to visit one day!

6. February 7, 2018 / 4:47 pm

It sounds like you totally maximize your time. I would want to visit the best of the best. Eating and shopping is a must.

7. February 7, 2018 / 4:22 pm

I think it’s great to know the top places to visit when you have very little time. I especially navigate this world by taste.

8. February 7, 2018 / 3:04 pm

I love this, sometimes it is nice to have a run down on the must see and do places, it helps you plan what you want to do. Those meals all look delicious as well, I may just need to plan some time in Toulouse.

9. February 7, 2018 / 11:40 am

Toulouse is such a beautiful place! It’s been some time since I went there and I’d love to go again. You have lovely recommendations!

10. Ida JT
    February 7, 2018 / 4:20 am

I would definitely explore a good restaurant including the hawker area to experience a different high. And I’d look for some great and famous places the city boasts of. Interacting with the locals is something I love doing in the process of being a tourist! 🙂

11. Pam
    February 7, 2018 / 2:33 am

All of that food looks delicious. I really want to visi Toulouse one day.

12. Kelly Reci
    February 7, 2018 / 2:13 am

Wow – looks like you totally did so much in 48 hours! Love the photos you took. The entrance to Place du Capitole looks amazing.

13. Jeanette
    February 7, 2018 / 1:57 am

Wow! One day I’ll make it to France! These places look like must-see stops in this area. Thanks so much for the input and photos!

14. February 7, 2018 / 1:22 am

Pinned! Great tips and suggestions. I’m going to refer back to this when I make a trip there.

15. valmg
    February 6, 2018 / 7:55 pm

I’ve never been to France and have always wanted to go. I’ve heard there is some great food there so it would be helpful to know who’s got great food and who doesn’t.

16. Candy Kage
    February 6, 2018 / 5:16 pm

Sounds like the perfect 48 hours in France to me. Museums and food, doesn’t get much better.

17. Jeanette
    February 6, 2018 / 2:06 pm

I would love to explore food and museums and history and architecture well there. There’s so much to see and so much to try. I don’t even know 48 hours would be enough.

18. February 6, 2018 / 1:29 pm

I won’t lie, if I had 48 hours, I’d spend most of that time eating. I just love food in Europe. I’d also explore museums. But mostly eating. Oh, and shopping 😉

19. Alli Smith
    February 6, 2018 / 12:43 pm

Shopping and eating would be two of the things I’d do while visiting Toulouse. Of course, seeing all the popular sites would be at the top of my list too. I’d love to visit!

20. Robin Rue
    February 6, 2018 / 12:35 pm

That sounds like such an amazing place to visit. I truly hope to get to Toulouse someday!