Casale Amati Country House

Casale Amati Country House, a beautiful holiday home situated in Casano di Ortonovo, 25 minutes drive from Carrara. We recently had the pleasure of staying at this incredible holiday rental home during our Tuscany Adventures. Our visit was catered by the owners whom we found to be amazing and very friendly. Upon our arrival in Carrara, we were met by the owners; Frederica, her brother Enrico and her daughter Livia. Who kindly offered to pick us up from the station and drive us to Casale Amati took, our home base for few days. Along the way we were amazed by the beautiful mountainous scenery that came into view along the way.

Casale Amati Country House

Casale Amati Country House – Initial Thoughts

The beautiful scenery was not the only thing that swept us off our feet, it was the beautiful typical Italian home. We couldn’t believe what was in front us, even more so the incredible landscape and culture. From the moment we entered the country home, the owners made a point to give us a little history about there home.

The house itself was once an olive oil mill and the owners have kept the majority of the original artefacts. This is something you see immediately upon entering the property adding to the character of the home. Sadly, after the Second World War the mill was abandoned and bought from the family that owned it. But happily, for us, Federica and her family has turned this old mill into lavish country homes.

There are 3 houses under one roof and we were lucky enough to stay in 2 of them. The houses are conjoined so it is easy to move between the houses. Though if two different families are renting the property, it’s easy to separate them. Taking us on a tour of the house, the family explained the history and what improvements they have made.

Casale Amati Country House – La Marchesa

La Marchesa is the first house, the house is warming with soft colours and wooden ceiling interior. The highlight I think has to be the 16th century dining table which is truly the focal point of the room. La Marchesa has 3 bedrooms- 2 double rooms and 1 smaller room containing two single beds. One of the double rooms is attached to the living room which follows through with similar colours. I feel it’s a bit more decadent than the other rooms, the furnace in the living rooms drives heat to the room.

As you walk along the corridor to your left is another double room with high ceilings and French windows opening out to the backyard. Walking past that room you will come across the kitchen, smaller than the La Macine kitchen and a cooler room temperature perfect for the summer. Further along the corridor up a few steps on your right you have the bathroom which was very spacious.

Coming out of the bathroom to your right is the door to the garden. Shared between three houses, a sitting area for guests which is sheltered with kiwis hanging over it. It is large enough for children to run around and explore! Going back into the house down the stairs to the lowest floor are the 2 single beds, where Giuseppe Mazzini stayed for three nights. He was a national hero (1805– 1872), he hid here from the authorities after being sentenced for his political militancy.

We loved the colour coordination throughout this house, the only negative comment lack of bins. The kitchen bins were there but none for the bedrooms nor the bathroom.

Casale Amati Country House

Casale Amati Country House – Le Macine!

The second house Le Macine, when you first enter you are greeted with a magnificent olive oil mill. They have utilised the space to create comfortable and homeliness, the living area opens out to the kitchen. The open space was one of our favourite areas to spend the evening after a day of exploring. It is not everyday you have a furnace in your open plan kitchen and living room area. We absolutely loved the kitchen in Le Machine, with the latest kitchen tech we were spoilt.

Leaving the open plan, you walk up the stairs to the bedrooms and bathroom all located upstairs. The property has 3 bedrooms; 2 double rooms and 1 children’s room which has two single beds. A beautiful bathroom with a beautiful roof window, the entire room is decorated with unique antique ornaments. The children’s room overlook the kitchen/dining room area which could be quite fun for the kids. One of the double rooms had its own balcony that had a sensational view of the mountainous greenery. The third room was next to the children’s room and had a garden view which was incredible. The garden when in season has olive trees, kiwi trees, plum, lemons and apples trees.

All the bedrooms were warm, very comfortable bed which when I hit the pillow I went straight to sleep.

Casale Amati Country House – Il Frantoio!

The 3rd house is Il Frantoio, their oldest apartment built in the 14th century which some parts were being renovated. I felt that this was their smallest home, perfect for couples on a romantic holiday or honeymoon. But a small family can easily fit in this cosy house – 2 bedrooms a double and single room. A petite kitchen area with all you need essentials, the dining room window overlooks a waterfall. The mini waterfall runs under and around the building with fish happily swimming around.

Our experience of the Casale Amati country house was magical it was like stepping into another century. We are grateful to the family for allowing us to experience staying in an incredible holiday home. It has also made us realise that traveling as a family can be expensive, holiday homes are more budget friendly. At least for our family this has been the case than renting hotel rooms for several family members.

Disclosure: We were guest of Casale Amati country house, all opinions and images shared are our own.

1. March 5, 2018 / 3:52 pm

Never been to Pisa myself but it’s on my bucket list for the year! Love the photo of you holding it up hehe

2. Cassandra Mayers
    March 4, 2018 / 9:44 pm

Sounds like you had a great stay! Looks lovely!

3. Lilinha Angel World
    March 3, 2018 / 9:32 am

It sounds like a great country house. I would love to visit Pisa and stay there!

4. March 3, 2018 / 8:11 am

That looks like a really comfy and wonderful place to visit. The house looks so lovely!

5. Kacie
    March 3, 2018 / 2:31 am

How lovely to have the opportunity to stay here! The house looks so grand. I bet there are lots to stories to tell from inside those walls over the years.

6. March 2, 2018 / 5:39 pm

I lived in Italy in the 90’s! I was invited to stay at my friends home in Pontremoli where I worked with her family. I was in the Province of Carrara, seeing this is really bringing back memories. I will return next year this time to see my childhood best friend 🙂

7. March 2, 2018 / 3:29 pm

What a gorgeous place to visit! I was in Italy for the first time last summer and fell in love with the country. Can’t wait to go back!

8. March 2, 2018 / 9:51 am

Oh my goodness what an amazing sounding place to go and explore, I would love to make it to Italy one day it always seems like such a beautiful place.

• March 2, 2018 / 10:58 am

I hope you do Sarah as this place is just incredible I mean all of Italy is lovely in my humble opinion

9. March 2, 2018 / 11:06 am

Loving all your photos of Tuscany, the Amati house looks so cosy and comfy as well, so glad you enjoyed it

10. March 2, 2018 / 11:03 am

They look absolutely stunning and I bet they were lovely to stay in x

11. March 2, 2018 / 12:21 am

I was so looking forward to reading about your Tuscany adventures and you did not disappoint. I really love the beautiful Amati house I can imagine you did not want to come home after staying there!

• March 2, 2018 / 8:52 am

Hahahah thanks Ana, no we did not want to return, my parents already want to go back. We had such an adventure and will be sharing lots more soon

12. March 1, 2018 / 11:05 pm

I wouldn’t mind staying in those houses as well. I love that you felt comfortable and at home during your stay there!

• March 2, 2018 / 8:56 am

It really felt like we went home than on vacation so it’s been pretty hard adapting back because now we want that life more lol

13. March 2, 2018 / 3:50 am

14. March 2, 2018 / 2:49 am

15. March 2, 2018 / 2:48 am

16. March 1, 2018 / 11:47 pm

17. March 1, 2018 / 9:46 pm

18. March 1, 2018 / 9:27 pm

That looks like such a beautiful place to stay, so glad you had a wonderful time x

• March 2, 2018 / 8:57 am

Thank you, we had an incredible time and loved every minute of it

19. Jenni Grainger
    March 1, 2018 / 8:50 pm

I went to Pisa with school many years ago and I loved it. You can’t go without a picture holding the tower up

• March 2, 2018 / 8:57 am

Hahaha no you can’t, it’s a must do and we totally loved that.

20. Bethany Naismith
    March 1, 2018 / 6:51 pm

This looks like such a magical place! I am going to Florence in June, and I cannot wait to go. Italy is one of my favourite places ever…

21. Joanna
    March 1, 2018 / 6:24 pm

Its looks like u had such an amazing time! Very lucky with the holiday home by the sounds of it with the lovely family.