How-to Spend a Day in Pisa Italy & Where to Stay

Pisa Italy a truly underrated city and often missed for more glamorous cities like Florence. It is a historical city which seems to attract people of all ages from all walks of life. Mostly when people plan to visit Pisa, it’s all about the Leaning Tower of Pisa and not much else. And for many, Pisa is not often the only destination but part of Tuscany Adventures. Our recent visit to Pisa was part of our Tuscany itinerary and we allocated 2 half-days to this historical city. It is certainly small enough that its easier to pair the visit with another city like Florence or Sienna.

Pisa Italy

Like most people, planning our trip to Pisa was centered around visiting the Square of miracles, Piazza del Miracoli. The area is also known as Piazza del Duomo and is one of the most visited places in Pisa. It consists of  the Cathedral, the Baptistry, the Camposanto Monumentale and the Leaning Tower. All these impressive buildings located in one place, no wonder people just see these places and leave. Pisa also boosts some impressive Italian restaurants serving the best Italian foods and best Gelato ever.

How-to Spend a Day in Pisa Italy

Our Tuscany Adventures itinerary got interrupted and we ended up spending 2 half days in Pisa Italy. We were happy to spend two half days in Pisa as this gave us enough time to focus on different sights. If you’re planning a Tuscany adventure and wondering how to fit it all in, here is how-to do it.

Pisa Italy

Flying into Pisa Airport

One thing I absolutely loved about Pisa Italy is its incredible public transport system and Pisa Mover. From the airport, take the Pisa mover into Pisa main station then walk to Piazza del Miracoli. If walking isn’t an option then take the L-1 bus and its a 15 minute bus ride.

If you’re limited on time, I would suggest buying the tickets first to either climb the tower and visit the Cathedral. The Baptistery is free but you still need the ticket to be able to enter the building which offers incredible views.

Taking a train into Pisa

One thing we loved about Pisa Italy is how accessible and inexpensive the Tuscany region is by train. It seems to be the central point for many trains, it is therefore easy to plan you Tuscany adventures. From Florence, Pisa is only an hour away and cost less than 9 euros return.

Depending on the region you’re in, Pisa is very accessible, we were in Ortonovo and had to take regional trains. From Carrara to Pisa on a fast train can take up to 45 minutes and slower trains up to an hour.

Places to visit in Pisa Italy

There are many places one can visit in Pisa which include shopping or strolling along the cobble stoned streets. Most people often visit for the Piazza del Miracoli to visit the famous Leaning Tower of Pisa. For that reason, in this post we will focus on those places only.

•  Cathedral,
  • The Baptistry
  • Camposanto Monumentale
  • The Bell or Leaning Tower

To visit any of these places there is a charge of 5 euros except; the Baptistry {free} and Leaning tower. Whilst the Baptistry is free, a ticket is required and can be collected for free at the tourist office.

Where to Stay

When it comes to choosing where to stay in Pisa, the task can seem so daunting as there are many places. I knew for myself and my family, we wanted somewhere not too far from the airport but close to the tower. It would have been an impossible task if the city was massive but luckily Pisa isn’t that big a city.

I stumbled upon 7Rooms on Expedia and love everything that I saw and ready about the place. It is practically at the Leaning Tower’s door step and only 10 minutes drive to the airport. The location couldn’t be more perfect even if I tried, and its located on the famous tourist street.

Next time you’re planning your Tuscany Adventures, make sure to include Pisa on the list. If you have half a day or an entire day, that is still enough time to explore this historical city. The Piazza del Miracoli or Square of Miracles is definitely a must visit sight in Pisa Italy.

Have you ever been to Pisa? If not, what sights would you add to your itinerary?

Pisa Italy

1. Sara-Jayne Jones
    March 18, 2018 / 9:44 am

I had no idea that there was so much to do in Pisa – I’d love to visit there!

2. David E
    March 18, 2018 / 8:56 am

Everyone knows about the tower. I would love to go there. But it looks like Pisa has so much more than just the tower. I would love to visit sometime soon.

• March 19, 2018 / 7:32 am

Exactly, this little city of litter with other cute things to do, definitely give it a visit

3. Ophelia Tang
    March 18, 2018 / 5:18 am

Pisa is such a beautiful place. Thank you so much for the tips and beautiful photos.

4. Dana Brillante-Peller
    March 17, 2018 / 3:07 pm

I’ve always wanted to see Pisa. Thank you for sharing great things to do and where to stay

5. Jenie
    March 17, 2018 / 2:52 pm

I wanna visit this place soon . U have shared such a useful post to plan. Now i will try to plan soon

6. Dee Jaye
    March 17, 2018 / 10:26 am

Wow. It looks like you had so much fun. Thank you for the tips

7. Becca Wilson
    March 17, 2018 / 12:48 am

Italy is definitely on my travel bucket list to see one day. It is such a beautiful area with so much history to see. Pisa looks absolutely amazing.

8. March 16, 2018 / 8:07 pm

Cant leave Italy without the leaning tower of Pisa. Cool shot you took there too you gotta take a wacky photo before you leave.

• March 19, 2018 / 7:34 am

Hahahaha exactly, had to take my obligatory Pisa tower picture lol

9. Batiste Ladonna
    March 16, 2018 / 5:41 pm

You took some great pics. Pisa looks like a fun adventure. You offered some great places to see. Putting them on my bucket list.

10. Katie Saville
    March 16, 2018 / 2:51 pm

This post could not have come at the more perfect time! We’re looking into a lengthy Italy trip and my husband wanted to skip Pisa because he said there was nothing more to do than just see the Leaning Tower – can’t wait to show him how wrong he is!

11. Jessica Taylor
    March 16, 2018 / 1:22 pm

Italy has always been on my bucket list, so this makes me so envious! I can’t wait to see it for myself one day!

12. Clairejustineo
    March 16, 2018 / 10:38 am

I have never been to Italy before but it is somewhere I would love to visit. I love that photo of you holding the leaning tower of Pisa up 🙂

13. March 16, 2018 / 10:04 am

I would love to visit Pisa one day. Heard a lot about the city.

14. March 16, 2018 / 12:02 am

Pisa is somewhere I most definitely want to go one day, I love seeing all the pictures people come up with beside the tower, my Mum has one from when she was young.

15. March 15, 2018 / 11:51 pm

Pisa is on my bucket list! I just adore Italy and amazing gelato gets a thumbs up!

16. Laura Dove
    March 15, 2018 / 9:52 pm

Oh that photo of you beside the tower is amazing! I would so love to go!

17. March 15, 2018 / 8:46 pm

I’ve always wanted to see the leaning tower of Pisa. I’d so do those silly poses with it. I’d have fun there and then go and pig out on pasta.

18. March 15, 2018 / 6:13 pm

Wow, the train prices make getting around so easy on the wallet, a definite plus with being a family of five

19. March 15, 2018 / 2:44 pm

Oh I want to go to Italy so bad. It just looks like a great place to visit. Love the pictures!1

20. Ben Grubwiller
    March 15, 2018 / 1:43 pm

Love article and cool photos! I love Italy and Pisa specifically. I hope you have better weather enxt time though!

21. Talya Stone
    March 15, 2018 / 1:31 pm

Oh this brings back memories! Pisa is such a lovely place for mooching around and taking in the sights and it can all easily be done in a day as you say.

22. March 15, 2018 / 1:21 pm

OMG I LOVE that pic of you holding the leaning tower, hahahahahaha! It looks fake but also awesome!!! 😉 And I love Italy, but I have never been to Pisa and that needs to CHANGE!

23. Andrea Broom
    March 15, 2018 / 12:14 pm

My good friend is going to be going in the next few months and I know she would find this super useful, I am gonna pass this along to her for her trip to Pisa. Thanks for all the wonderful recommendations.

24. March 15, 2018 / 12:07 pm

I regret not visiting Italy when I had the chance to, I guess It’s time to plan a vacation around Italy and make sure to see the tower.

25. Lauren Porter
    March 15, 2018 / 10:54 am

Wow your hotel location sounds incredibly convenient! Would love to visit, the leaning tower has always fascinated me x

26. Newcastle Family Life
    March 15, 2018 / 10:08 am

I would love to visit someday so these are great tips, love the photo of you with the tower – great shot x

27. Battle Mum (BattleMum)
    March 14, 2018 / 10:10 pm

Pisa is most definitely on our to-do list. We’ve already said we’ll visit it along with Florence before or after visiting Cinque Terre. And I love your picture of you holding up the Tower!

28. Helen Jacob-Lloyd
    March 14, 2018 / 1:34 pm

Great tips! I don’t remember much but I visited Pisa with my family when I was a teenager and I remember going to the leaning tower of Pisa…what a place!

29. Sim @ Sim's Life
    March 14, 2018 / 12:38 pm

It looks absolutely beautiful and so many other things to see than just the leaning tower! Loving the picture of you propping it up! Sim x

30. Morrison Clan
    March 14, 2018 / 10:38 am

I am glad you managed to get the classic leaning tower shot! The architecture there just looks amazing. Mandi (Big Family Little Adventures).

31. Alex BetterTogether
    March 14, 2018 / 9:31 am

Ooh I am desperate to visit Italy – will be planning a trip there once the baby is here and a little older 🙂 Pisa looks gorgeous – great tips