Home Improvements: Drainage Maintenance

How confident are you when it comes to knowing what you pour down the drain and what you shouldn’t? I personally thought I was pretty confident until I found out you can’t pour cooking oil down the sink.

Drainage Maintenance

UKDN water recently conducted a survey and found that over 50% of us millennials pour oils down the drain. It is such an alarming number considering the size of the fatberg that was recently found in WhiteChapel. If you’re curious about it, definitely go check in out at the Museum of London where it is currently on display. It is equally fascinating as it is gross that this comes from our drainage system.

We often say, there is no place like home, but at the same time we neglect drainage maintenance. Most of us are quick to clean areas that are often seen by visitors and neglect hidden areas. In this article, we aim to share some tips and educate our readers on Drainage Maintenance.

Drainage Maintenance

Why is Drainage Maintenance important?

The entire idea behind having a drainage system is so that water and other liquids can be disposed of. From your bathroom, toilet and the kitchen all have a drainage system that collects and disposes. It is therefore very important to ensure your perform drainage maintenance as regularly as possible. A non-functional drainage system can lead to your home smelling but also cause fatbergs.

Over 90% of us seem pretty confident about what we can and can not flush down the toilet. And yet when UK residents were surveyed it turns out most of us are not clear about our drainage system. Most admitted to flushing medicines, hair, condoms, tampons and even dead pets. This is definitely a cause for concern as everything we flush or pour down the drainage has an environmental impact. In hopes of educating our readers, here are some tips on drainage maintenance.

Drainage Maintenance

How-to Maintain your drainage system

When it comes to drainage maintenance is it important to know what you can and can’t pour down the system. Most of us are pretty savvy on most things but there a few that we don’t seem too concerned about flushing down the drain. We hope these tips educate anyone of our readers and protects your drainage.

• Avoid pouring fat oils or even coffee granules down the sink, small amounts can be added to a compost heap. Best practise is to allow oils to harden before scraping them into the bin. The same would go for coffee granules and food waste can be composted and put into the bin. Greasy plates and cooking equipment can be wiped with kitchen roll or newspaper to be thrown away.
  • Do not flush medicines, pads or even condoms down the toilet, throw with garbage
  • Avoid flushing dead pets like goldfish or even hamsters down the loo, bury them.

We all have some tips on how you can look after your drainage system and protect it.

• After every shower/bath or washing dishes, remember to rinse the system with hot water.  Ensure to remove any hair or build-up of food waste before doing this.
  • Use baking powder to get rid of the smell from the sink or bathroom. Pour down before running hot water
  • Use vinegar to clean the system, pour it down before bed then rinse after an hour.

These are just some of the tips you can utilise to look your drainage system and protect your home. No one wants to call out the professionals to get rid of a fatberg which could have been prevented. Remember to take care of your home in and out.

Drainage Maintenance

Collaborative post

1. October 30, 2018 / 2:34 am

The drains in a house is something no one really thinks about until there is a problem. Thanks for sharing useful information on maintaining drainage system and also highlighting the importance of proper planning of the drainage system.

2. October 8, 2018 / 2:09 pm

It takes a lot to maintain a home and a huge part of that is the drainage! I think this informative post could help a lot of homeowners take better care of their drainage system.

3. October 8, 2018 / 2:09 pm

These are some amazing tips and ideas. So many of us neglect our drainage.

4. October 8, 2018 / 2:09 pm

My father used to be a plumber. He taught me a lot of the dos and do nots LOL!

5. October 8, 2018 / 2:09 pm

I’m totally guilty of putting things down the drain that we shouldn’t. Oops!

6. October 8, 2018 / 2:09 pm

We live in an apt, not really something we worry about, although they do shut the water off from time to time, prolly to fix stuff like this. Can be annoying…

7. October 8, 2018 / 2:09 pm

When I lived in the country, we were very careful. I have become more relaxed since moving to the city. I need to become more diligent.

8. October 8, 2018 / 2:09 pm

I never thought about where all the crap goes (pun intended) when I flush it!! This post was eye opening for me!!

9. October 8, 2018 / 2:09 pm

I don’t ever pour cooking oil in the kitchen sink because it can really do damage to the drainage system. We buy a strainer to catch food as well.

10. October 8, 2018 / 2:08 pm

Always be careful in what you are flushing down the drain, you never know it’s already slowly building up down there. If not, drainage issues at not too far off.

11. October 8, 2018 / 2:08 pm

The drains in a house is something no one really thinks about until there is a problem. These are great things to consider, I think staying on top of them is a great idea! I know I could be better with maintaining our drains.

12. October 8, 2018 / 2:08 pm

Taking care of your drainage is really important, I can only imagine the hassle of having clogged drains! So crazy! I think this post is really going to help people take better care of their drains.

13. October 8, 2018 / 2:08 pm

Wow I can’t believe some of the things that people put down the drain or flush! We do several of these things, like wet wipes (only the flushable ones) and only the cardboard applicators from tampons, or the actual tampon itself…I will have to be more careful.

14. October 8, 2018 / 2:08 pm

I used to pour oil down the drain until I learned it was a total no-no. It is so important to know what can and cannot go down the drain and I think a lot of people get confused about certain items, especially women’s hygiene products.