Family Travel Bucketlist – Ideas

Traveling in the company of those we love is home in motion – Keigh Hunt”, an incredible quote. I was reminded at the beginning of the year how much I love family travels. Traveling as a family is always something that leaves you with many wonderful memories. Memories that we will cherish for a life time and with that I put together this family travel bucketlist.

When I made the decision to travel with my parents this year, I knew it would be something we would enjoy. It’s been such a long time since we as a whole family travelled together but we still have the memories. This year I thought it would be great if I could travel with my WHOLE family at least once. With that being said, here are some of the places that I think as a whole family we would love.

Family Travel Bucketlist

Family Travel Bucketlist – Ideas

I am the first one to admit that I love the thrill of getting on a plane and getting off to lands unknown. There is something about experiencing a new culture, broadening one’s horizon and view of the world. But I should also confess that there are so many wonderful places I can see right here at home. Whilst it doesn’t require jetting off, road trips are just as fun when traveling with loved ones.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been crazy searching for somewhere I could go with my family. Traveling as a family of 7 can be quite expensive especially since there is only 1 child and rest are adults. The cost quickly add up long before you’ve even booked a hotel or even an apartment. So I turned to my trusted deals sites and found a couple that would fit into our budget.

National Trust Properties

One thing I can not recommend enough is signing up for NT membership either solo or as family. In the UK we are privileged with all the properties and locations managed by the National Trust. For a small monthly fee you can have access to hundreds of locations for free including parking. There is so much to see and many activities arranged for the children. You can even have a picnic at a number of locations when the weather is jolly. If you Oxfordshire based or close enough, check out what properties you can visit. We ourselves are members and know we want to visit lots more places as summer progresses.

Family Travel Bucketlist

Lake District

I know what you’re gonna say but if you check out places like Groupon you will find incredible deals. We have been fortunate to find clamping ponds in the lake district for a great bargain. Between us we only needed 2 clamping pods and we would be good. We are so excited to be visiting the Lake District and can not wait to plan our itinerary.

Day Trip to London

One thing I love about living down south is how close we are to London. Thankfully the national rail service offers ticket discounts for families, elderly and young people. With a family ticket there are plenty of free things to see in London. There is plenty of things to do in London that are completely free and fun.

Aquariums

One of my wonderful memories of my solo travel diaries is visiting the Oceano Museum in Monaco. I hadn’t always been a fun of aquariums after one scary movie but of late I have been loving them. My friends always reminisce about the time they visited Seaworld as kids and how much fun they had. This definitely gives me enough confidence to say I know other kids will love Seaworld would too. I certainly know I would love to one day visit Seaworld and see it for myself.

Local Tourist

One thing I love since I started traveling is being a local tourist, we have so much at our disposal. Most of the time we are busy searching for places to visit abroad when here at home we have so much. I would definitely recommend being a local tourist and seeing what you have locally.

These are some of the ideas we have on our family travel bucketlist, what do you have on yours?

Family Travel Bucketlist

1. June 21, 2018 / 2:22 am

I never thought to make a FAMILY travel bucket list! I love this idea! Our next family vacation abroad is going to be Greece. I can’t wait!

2. June 20, 2018 / 3:27 pm

This is very true. My wife and I are on out own now, all of our kids are grown. These little family trips are so enjoyable. We are planning on a vacation to our favorite destinations Washington D.C.

3. June 20, 2018 / 7:21 am

National Trust Properties sounds like a great way to vacation!! I wish we had something like that where I lived!!

4. Gemille Sleweon
    June 20, 2018 / 2:18 am

This is a great list! I don’t have a family, but i do have a bucket list of places i would like to travel to before i start a family of my own.

5. June 20, 2018 / 1:31 am

It’s not that easy to plan as an itinerary for the whole family but this one’s pretty awesome! It would be nice to be a tourist in your own city. Day trips are definitely a great idea!

6. Bonnie G
    June 20, 2018 / 12:52 am

I would love to travel with my family sometime this Summer. These are wonderful ideas.

7. June 20, 2018 / 12:43 am

We’ve only been to three countries but we try to travel around the United States every chance we get. I would like to explore Europe.

8. June 19, 2018 / 10:40 pm

Being a local tourist is such a cute idea. There’s usually so many things we don’t bother to appreciate so close to where we live that we are missing out on.

9. Pam Wattenbarger
    June 19, 2018 / 7:46 pm

Aquariums are so much fun. We have one near us that we really enjoy visiting! It’s so neat to see the sea creatures up close and personal.

10. June 19, 2018 / 5:31 pm

We went to the Midwest for almost 2 weeks and in the month we are going on a cruise. Between the time I have a lot of things I want to do around town with my kiddo. I love this travel bucket list. Our family is really into traveling and you have a lot of great ideas here.

11. June 19, 2018 / 4:58 pm

I love playing tourist in my own city! There’s so much to do and I feel like I never do them because I tell myself: “Well, I live here… I can do it another time.”

12. June 19, 2018 / 4:11 pm

I love this! We do love aquariums. And we do want to go to London. We’re in the States though, so it would be a few days for us. I want to do a Henry VIII tour and see all his castles. Hampton Court is a MUST!

13. June 19, 2018 / 2:53 pm

Being a local tourist is a great idea for a start. I’d love to travel with my family and have tons of adventure.

14. June 19, 2018 / 1:52 pm

I love the idea of being a local tourist. It’s such a great way to get out and enjoy the summer. Looking forward to checking out all of your travel adventures.

15. Candy
    June 19, 2018 / 12:35 pm

We traveled last year with our son and his husband. Went to London and Ireland over to Iceland. We had a blast

16. June 19, 2018 / 11:20 am

We have so much to do in our beautiful state and it seems I’m always traveling elsewhere. I’ve decided that I’m going to visit more places in my state and make a few more day trips.

17. robin rue
    June 19, 2018 / 10:28 am

We are all about the day trips and there are A LOT of great ones from here in Boston. Technically NYC is only 3.5 hours away, so it’s a long daytrip, but it can be done.

18. June 15, 2018 / 10:11 pm

Wow, you are lucky that you’ve been in 38 countries. I have visited only 3 countries: Singapore, Malaysia, and Japan. I hope I can do it more often in the future.