Ultimate Period Survival Guide

Periods, the babe of mine and most women’s existence and at times a nuisance to most of us. Every girl understands why we have periods but none of us agreed to suffer from it for days on end. I know for someone especially men this topic is gross, but guess what! We live it every month and have to deal with it constantly. With that I thought I put together my ultimate period survival guide. I am one of those unlucky sods who have it for 7 days and its painful throughout. But over the years I have learned ways to manage it and continue with my life.

ultimate period survival guide

The Ultimate Period Survival Guide

Why do some women suffer bad cramps whilst others barely notice it? No one said life was fair not even in menstrual cycle or anything period related. All women release prostaglandins, this is a chemical that causes cramps. Scientifically speaking it makes the muscles of the uterus contract, the contraction is what pushes the icky out. There is lots of advice on how girls can manage menstruation, here is the ultimate period survival guide.

Medication or Herbal

We are all different, whilst others don’t want to use pharmaceutical meds and prefer herbal concoctions. It is best to speak to a qualified herbal doctor on what you can try for pain relief. If you’re on other medication it is best to consult on your GP first before taking herbals. Some medications what contraindications when combined with herbal medications. Personally I only have two options that I often use during that time of the month;

• Paramol – used for acute pain and taken only for 3 days and no more. You can get this medication over the counter at our local pharmacy but again check with your doctor.
  • Camomile or Ginger – these are my choice of herbal products that I use to treat cramps. I don’t take them together, camomile before bed and ginger during the day.

Tampons, Pads or Period Underwear {mini-review}

It is often the case that whatever you start with at the beginning of your PMS is what you will often prefer. I started with large maternity pads because mum was a midwife and that’s what she had on hand. To this day, I prefer bulky long pads especially for sleeping in as I have a heavy flow. The only alteration over the years has been during the day I prefer long pads with wings.

ultimate period survival guide

Recently I was sent a period underwear from modibodi, something I never considered until recently. I had been reading about period pants on social media but did not pay much attention. But curiosity got the better of me and I applied for an opportunity to try the modibodi period pants. I was not sure when I wanted to start using it but as my period started on the flight back from Korea. There was no better time to try the modibodi period pant than sitting on a plane for 17 hours.

I was über sceptical about the pants and if they would hold my heavy flow but ready to try. As we left Seoul, I put them on, they were super comfortable and light material. I thought they would be heavy to be able to absorb the period, to my surprise they functioned just fine. There was no icky feeling, the underwear contained the blood and there was no leaking either.

ultimate period survival guide

Snacks or Yoga moves

What is your favourite items to snack on before or during that time of the month? Often I start eating lots of sweat things 2 weeks before then during I find myself enjoying salty foods. What I didn’t realise is salt retains water therefore I often bloated and have bad cramps because of it. The best foods recommendation {tried & tested} to enjoy during that time are;

• Bananas
  • Baked potatoes
  • whole meal bread
  • yoghurt
  • Oats
  • Salmon

When it comes to keeping active during my periods, it is next to impossible as the pain is crippling. What I have found works very well for me is doing some yoga moves in bed. I always have my legs up in the air or leaning against the wall, this ease pain. Other moves that seem to work for me are bow pose and fish pose. There are many other yoga moves you can try to help relieve some of the menstrual pain most women experience.

WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR TIPS, ARE ANY ON MY ULTIMATE PERIOD SURVIVAL GUIDE?

ultimate period survival guide

1. June 11, 2018 / 4:27 am

I have been wanting to try some period panties! I think they are such a greta idea!!

2. brianne
    June 10, 2018 / 7:40 pm

These are such great tips. I am in hell for a week when mine comes!

3. June 10, 2018 / 2:29 am

I keep seeing the ads for period pants and like you, I’ve been skeptical. I definitely think I may try them though.

4. June 9, 2018 / 9:15 pm

This is such a great guide, I haven’t had periods for a long time now but when I did they were awful really made me feel ill.

5. June 9, 2018 / 7:26 pm

Nothing is worse than being caught off guard by your period. You are saving people a lot of trouble!

6. June 9, 2018 / 4:11 pm

I have one period underwear that I usually use during cycle . I would like to add some period pants if I can find it here because I love being active even in those times.

7. June 9, 2018 / 3:33 pm

This is great information for the ladies in the family. I will share it with them.

8. June 9, 2018 / 3:59 am

I no longer deal with periods, but my daughter is going to start hers any time now. I am debating what to keep on hand.

9. June 9, 2018 / 2:54 am

I struggle with period cramps, I have never tried yoga before to minimize them. I will have to try it out! I do notice that moving, going on a walk or something like that does help a lot. Also a warm bath helps me too.

10. June 9, 2018 / 2:39 am

I am so glad to have left that part behind me. I get your struggle though.

11. June 9, 2018 / 2:29 am

I’m pretty miserable during my period, and I’ll have to try some of these. Thanks for the tips – making it through the work day is a challenge.

12. June 8, 2018 / 7:41 pm

I was lucky growing up and didn’t have any major problems when it came to my monthly period. After kids, my cycle was out of whack and the cramps awful. I have seen these panties around, and have thought about trying them out. I think I’ll pick up a few pair.

13. June 8, 2018 / 3:10 pm

Interesting re: the period panties, I’ve heard of those but never tried them. I have mine this week so perhaps I should investigate, lol. I’m lucky in that I usually don’t get cramps at least.

14. June 8, 2018 / 3:09 pm

I am definitely going to be pinning this one. There are many things that I do use when I have PMS or on my period, but you have a few more here that I have not tried.

15. June 8, 2018 / 2:55 pm

I always like to hear about ways to get through this time of the month. I feel like it gets harder not easier and those underwear seem like a great invention to make it better.

16. June 8, 2018 / 1:39 pm

Great tips! Love you’re snack ideas… I’ve recently looked into the period pants. I think they’re a great investment.

17. June 8, 2018 / 1:36 pm

I have always wanted to know how those period underwear work!! I am completely amazed by them! This is definitely an essential list!

18. candy
    June 8, 2018 / 11:48 am

Getting up and moving always helped. All of your suggestions are helpful and very useful to get through each month.