Moving House and Packing Checklist

Moving house can be one of the most stressful things one can ever endure and packing is no better. Over the last 8 years, I have endured moving house and packing at least 7 times. It was stressful that every time I had to move I honestly dreaded it. The only positive thing about having moved house so often is I have become a pro. In the article, I aim to share some tips on moving house and a packing checklist that everyone should have.

moving house

Things-to-do Before Moving House

There are several things that should be done before moving house aside from a packing list. The last time I moved house I made sure I did the following a few weeks beforehand.

• Redirected my post – I call all the utility company and checked if I could move their services with me. If you’re in the UK, use Royal Mail redirection service
  • Inform the bank – I went to the bank and advised them of my upcoming change in address
  • Broadband and Phoneline – I called my provider to arrange de-installing at my old house and re-installation to my new home.
  • Electoral roll – I called my local council to inform them of my change in address and requested for my records to be updated.
  • Movers – I hired a man and a van to help me move house
  • Miscellaneous – called all relevant companies and requested for a change in address.
  • Employer – informed my employer of the change in my home address
  • DMV – called them to change the address for my driving license and for my car

These are the major things I was able to take care of before I moved out. It took a load off my mind knowing some things had already been taken care of. If you have magazine subscriptions, it’s important to also inform them of your change in address. Next comes the packing and knowing where everything is when you move.

Packing Checklist Before Moving House

Regardless of the size of the moving, you’re moving to/from, its good to be prepared. I am a to-do list orientated type of person and I work best when I have a plan. Everyone works differently but the following list is what I followed.

• Order moving boxes – a lot of moving companies also offer moving boxes and if they don’t, order from online.
  • Purchase labels and markers –  you need to know what boxes contain what. Make sure to label the side and not the top, this way stacked boxes are easier to read.
  • Create a sorting list – decide what to take, what to donate and what to throw. You don’t want to move with junk that won’t be used in your new home.
  • House cleaning – you might want to hire a cleaning company for both your new and old home. Most company charge per the number of rooms, make sure to get a quote.
  • Miscellaneous – wash your linen, clean your carpets, dust the house and take meter readings (if applicable).

It is important to start packing your home as soon as possible to avoid late mad dash. There is always something that needs doing at the last minute so being prepared reduces that risk. People in London can use The Van Man – London to help when moving house.

I hope these tips will be helpful to all those who are moving, let us know your tips. When it comes to moving we all found out during the move what works and what doesn’t. Like whenever I move, I cover all my liquids with plastic before closing them up. Things like handbag, phones, chargers and more I always put in my laundry basket.

Moving house

This is a collaborative post

1. September 17, 2018 / 4:16 pm

Great checklist to remember all the important stuff before moving!

2. September 16, 2018 / 5:32 am

It’s really not that stressful to move houses when you’re prepared. It’s good to make sure you plan ahead of time, especially when transferring your address. I love these tips! They’re so helpful!

September 16, 2018 / 8:07 am

Thanks Carol, I agree when prepared it really shouldn’t be but for others it can be.

3. September 14, 2018 / 1:52 am

I’m so glad you posted this. We are actually moving in the next couple months and I didn’t know where to begin.

September 16, 2018 / 8:06 am

Oh very cool, now timely. Good luck with your move

4. September 13, 2018 / 9:09 pm

I am really lucky that I’ve only ever moved house once and as we were buying my brothers house (he was emigrating to USA) So we were able to move things over every night for about a month! I honestly don’t think I could cope with the thought of moving again! My loft is full to bursting as is every room! Nightmare!
    You clearly are a whizz at it

September 16, 2018 / 8:05 am

Thanks Tanya, a month must have been a busy one moving every night

5. September 13, 2018 / 6:50 pm

Hopefully I only have 1 more move in my life. It is such a daunting task for my kids and I.

September 16, 2018 / 8:05 am

Oh I know how you feel, I hope the same too

6. September 13, 2018 / 6:15 pm

What a fab list and good advice! We moved house when I was 8 months pregnant and never again! I think we will be here forever now!

September 16, 2018 / 8:04 am

Oh Laura I do not envy you, that must have been trying

7. September 13, 2018 / 12:38 pm

Next time we move we’re going to hire packers and movers! Makes life so much easier and things are insured for damage in transit x

September 16, 2018 / 8:02 am

Girl, I am right there with you. I too will hire movers and packers whilst doing some things myself

8. September 13, 2018 / 12:04 pm

Great list. I have moved 7 times in 13 years so consider myself a bit of a pro. Always something I forget though! 😀

September 16, 2018 / 8:01 am

Emma, you are a pro indeed

9. September 13, 2018 / 4:53 am

I have longed to move for so long. We bought our house when we had to, and there’s not a lot of house to go around anymore now with a teenager!

September 16, 2018 / 8:01 am

Awww bless, I would like to have my own house soon

10. Peter
    September 13, 2018 / 12:34 am

The last time we moved it was a week of living out of boxes. This is a great checklist and if I ever have to move again, I’ll Have to use it

September 16, 2018 / 8:00 am

I think my very first time I lived in boxes as I couldn’t be asked to unpack but then there was another kind of hell

11. September 12, 2018 / 11:15 pm

Yes every move is really difficult task, I like your tips taken care before moving. Yes all these are important. We moved twice here .

September 16, 2018 / 8:00 am

Thanks Swathi, each move is special kind of stress but with some preparation this can be lessened.

12. September 12, 2018 / 11:09 pm

Moving is stressful but with proper planning and preparation, it could be stress-free. These pointers are spot on.

September 16, 2018 / 7:59 am

Thank you and I agree, with planning everything can be less of a burden

13. September 12, 2018 / 9:15 pm

I can’t believe you’ve moved that many times!! I’ve only moved twice in 10 years and I said the last time never again…

September 16, 2018 / 7:59 am

Hahaha, yep, life of a student/graduate but hoping my next move will be my last

14. September 12, 2018 / 9:14 pm

I am going to be moving next year and I’m actually dreading everything that I’m going to have to do when I do. The redirection is so important as you’re meant to do it 3 months before you move x

September 16, 2018 / 7:58 am

Good luck lovely as I know how tiring it can be and almost dreading my next

15. September 12, 2018 / 6:49 pm

Moving is a lot of work and it takes forever to get everything needed together. This is a fabulous resource of all the things that should be packed!

16. September 12, 2018 / 6:47 pm

Moving is a lot of work and it takes forever to get everything needed together. This is a fabulous resource of the things that should be packed!

17. September 12, 2018 / 6:24 pm

I really enjoyed reading this post. It has so much great information. I have to save it for future reference.

18. September 12, 2018 / 3:17 pm

Wow 7 times in 8 years – I can only imagine how stressful that must have been! You are definitely an expert on the topic, thanks for the tips!

19. September 12, 2018 / 3:07 pm

My brother and sister-in-law are about to move a really big move! I will send this over to them because I think this would help get them organized.

20. September 12, 2018 / 3:04 pm

I’ll be making a sorting list for sure for when the time comes. I keep bugging my husband for us to move back home to Winnipeg!

21. September 12, 2018 / 1:26 pm

This is helpful! We’ve done many moves thanks to my husband being in the military. Lists do keep things organized. We didn’t have to order boxes though. The moving company supplied all that.

22. September 12, 2018 / 1:19 pm

I love moving home and making lists. I’ve found the more lists the easier it is lol

23. candy
    September 12, 2018 / 12:33 pm

We have moved several times being military and your list is wonderful to follow. So many little things you have to do. Just not about packing everything up.

24. September 12, 2018 / 12:17 pm

In my married life of 40 years, my husband and I have moved ten times. My husband absolutely hates it but I enjoy the challenge. I am guessing I will move at least two more times before I die!

25. Janet
    September 12, 2018 / 11:51 am

You’re obviously a pro at this with all of those moves. I need this checklist because we hope to move after a very long time in our home.

September 12, 2018 / 7:14 pm

Thank you, I am a self declared pro lol, I hope you found the checklist useful

26. robin rue
    September 12, 2018 / 11:47 am

There is a lot more to moving than just actually moving your belongings. Sounds like you were able to get a lot done.

September 12, 2018 / 7:14 pm

Oh I agree, so much more than just moving from house to house