Moving house can be one of the most stressful things one can ever endure and packing is no better. Over the last 8 years, I have endured moving house and packing at least 7 times. It was stressful that every time I had to move I honestly dreaded it. The only positive thing about having moved house so often is I have become a pro. In the article, I aim to share some tips on moving house and a packing checklist that everyone should have.
Things-to-do Before Moving House
There are several things that should be done before moving house aside from a packing list. The last time I moved house I made sure I did the following a few weeks
- Redirected my post – I call all the utility company and checked if I could move their services with me. If you’re in the UK, use Royal Mail redirection service
- Inform the bank – I went to the bank and advised them of my upcoming change in address
- Broadband and Phoneline – I called my provider to arrange de-installing at my old house and re-installation to my new home.
- Electoral roll – I called my local council to inform them of my change in address and requested for my records to be updated.
- Movers – I hired a man and a van to help me move house
- Miscellaneous – called all relevant companies and requested for a change in address.
- Employer – informed my employer of the change in my home address
- DMV – called them to change the address for my driving license and for my car
These are the major things I was able to take care of before I moved out. It took a load off my mind knowing some things had already been taken care of. If you have magazine subscriptions, it’s important to also inform them of your change in address. Next comes the packing and knowing where everything is when you move.
Packing Checklist Before Moving House
Regardless of the size of the moving, you’re moving to/from, its good to be prepared. I am a to-do list orientated type of person and I work best when I have a plan. Everyone works differently but the following list is what I followed.
- Order moving boxes – a lot of moving companies also offer moving boxes and if they don’t, order from online.
- Purchase labels and markers – you need to know what boxes contain what. Make sure to label the side and not the top, this way stacked boxes are easier to read.
- Create a sorting list – decide what to take, what to donate and what to throw. You don’t want to move with junk that won’t be used in your new home.
- House cleaning – you might want to hire a cleaning company for both your new and old home. Most company charge per the number of rooms, make sure to get a quote.
- Miscellaneous – wash your linen, clean your carpets, dust the house and take meter readings (if applicable).
It is important to start packing your home as soon as possible to avoid late mad dash. There is always something that needs doing at the last minute so being prepared reduces that risk. People in London can use The Van Man – London to help when moving house.
I hope these tips will be helpful to all those who are moving, let us know your tips. When it comes to moving we all found out during the move what works and what doesn’t. Like whenever I move, I cover all my liquids with plastic before closing them up. Things like handbag, phones, chargers and more I always put in my laundry basket.