11 Amazing Autumn Activities to do in Oxfordshire

Autumn brings beautiful foliage and crisp weather, we’ve compiled 11 amazing autumn activities to do in Oxfordshire. It is a season to be cherished because it flies by in a mad dash to welcome winter. For all the families near and around Oxfordshire, find these 11 amazing autumn activities to do in Oxfordshire. The list is varied to cater to even the fussiest of kids.

Whilst autumn is not my favourite season, there are some things that make it bearable. Sitting at home in my cosy pyjamas and sipping on some hot chocolate being the highlight. But staying at home might not be for everyone, find these 11 amazing autumn activities to do in Oxfordshire. Even if you’re not in or around Oxford, UK some of these should be available locally.

11 Amazing Autumn Activities to do in Oxfordshire

11 Amazing Autumn Activities to do in Oxfordshire

Oxford has been my home for the last 4 years and I wouldn’t trade it for any other. We have so much available to us and some are just a short drive away. Ask anyone who’s had the pleasure of enjoying the English countryside, Oxfordshire has it all. Here are 11 amazing autumn activities to do in Oxfordshire for the family.

Didcot Railway Centre – Railway Museum

Are your kids into trains and have two hours to spare? The centre is a living museum based around the original engine shed and depot. For a small fee, you can experience riding the old trains plus an educational demonstration is offered. All information about the museum can be found HERE.

Museum of Oxford

The Museum of Oxford is located inside the Town Hall on St Aldate Street, a short walk from Gloucester Green. If you’re travelling by bus most buses do stop on St. Aldate street for easier access.

The museum is accessible for any buggies or wheelchair users and has Wi-Fi too. It is a musuem that suits all from classics to modern art as well as natural history on display.

Blenheim Palace

Blenheim Palace, Woodstock

Blenheim Palace, the only non-royal country house to hold the title of Palace and is a monumental country house in Oxfordshire. The palace is located in Woodstock and was designated the UNESCO World Heritage site in 1987. The

Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway

For all the train fans young and old, Chinnor and Princes Risborough railway is another up fit for all. Operating both steam and diesel hauled train services, the railway is part of the Great Western Railway. For those family with Midsomer Murders will remember this station featured in the drama. They offer Midsomer Murders fans where they give you a tour of the station.

May Mesey CIC

May Messy is a cookery school located in Wantage that aims to empower young people. Teaches them about food from planting to plate and offers invaluable like skils.

They offer various classes from yoga to grow your own whilst empowering kids. May Messy also offers mentoring classes for kids, its not only a cookery class but much more.

11 Amazing Autumn Activities to do in Oxfordshire

Priory Cottages

For all National Trust members, Priory cottages in Abingdon are one that you can visit for free. Non-members have to pay to visit any National Trust Properties. The monastic buildings have now bee converted into two houses which have are rented out. Because of that, booking is required before you can visit the building.

Go, Pumpkin Picking

I have not done pumpkin picking in forever and this year I am excited to be going. For those in Oxfordshire, Millets farm is one of the best places to go pumpkin picking.

11 Amazing Autumn Activities to do in Oxfordshire

Carve pumpkins

One of the many things I love about autumn is pumpkin picking, besides that, I love carving too.  I have not done any for a while now and it would be nice to do it again.

If you want to do some carving with your kids, check out these tips and ideas. This can be done when the weather is not so great and can be a fun activity at home.

Celebrate Guy Fawkes Day

Back in 1605, poor Guy and his team wanted to dethrone King James I but they were betrayed. Fawkes was found with the explosives and captured/tortured until he broke his neck and died. Every 5th of November we commemorate by lighting a bonfire.

Most local councils organise a bonfire night with fireworks, join with the family. If no local ones are organised, light fireworks instead and celebrate the foiled plan.

11 Amazing Autumn Activities to do in Oxfordshire

Go for walks

During autumn the weather is still warm enough to take a stroll around your home. I often visit National Trust properties where I take the long walks around the various estates. If you have local trails which you can walk to or local park then do it whilst the weather is nice.

Host movie nights

When it comes to hosting movie nights, it can be anything you and the family loves. For me, every movie night has to have some delicious snacks and salty popcorns. Sometimes a nice hot drink is all that’s needed whilst enjoying a nice movie.

11 Amazing Autumn Activities to do in Oxfordshire

Autumn is such an incredible time of the year because I get to be cosy every single night. What are some of the activities you have planned for this autumn? Besides these 11 amazing autumn activities to do in Oxfordshire what others are on your list?

1. Oct 25, 2018 / 11:43 pm

Pumpkin picking and carving is one of my favourite things to do in Autumn! But I love the sound of all those museums and historic houses to visit too. I’m a big fan of railway museums.

2. Oct 25, 2018 / 10:22 pm

We’ve been to Didcot railway and had a brilliant time. I want to have a go at carving a pumpkin this year as I’ve never done it before!

3. Oct 25, 2018 / 3:38 pm

Lots of wonderful things to do. Autumn is a great season to get out and about. Pinning too, thanks.

4. Oct 25, 2018 / 2:45 pm

Some great ideas of things to do / places to visit in the area. I wish we had a pumpkin patch to pick pumpkins in the north east x

5. Oct 25, 2018 / 1:22 pm

I really do love how much there is to do at this time of year, it makes the colder weather so much more bearable doesn’t it. We would definitely visit the railway for a treat for half term if we were in the area

6. Oct 25, 2018 / 12:39 pm

You’ve got some fab ideas for autumn activities in your area. I’d love to visit Blenheim Palace and I’m sure my son would enjoy the Didcot Railway Centre!

7. Oct 24, 2018 / 10:39 pm

Aww, I love the look of all of these events and activities for Autumn – it’s my favourite time of year – so much to see and do. Love the sound of all the museums as they are right up my street. Need to book a weekend to Oxford now!

8. Oct 24, 2018 / 9:56 pm

I start to hibernate when Autumn comes along. We do enjoy pumpkin picking though and carving out funny faces 🙂

9. Oct 24, 2018 / 5:30 pm

We love going out for jaunts in the autumn and will definitely taking the kids out for some lovely countryside walks and visit some of the museums and National Trust properties in and around Nottinghamshire. If we ever visit Oxfordshire, Blenheim Palace will be on the list I’m sure!

10. Oct 24, 2018 / 10:53 am

I love autumn, and love the sound of all of these activity suggestions! We’re on half term next week so will probably visit our local museum as they often have events on for the children, and we’ll definitely get out for at least one good walk in the park or the woods! x

11. Oct 24, 2018 / 10:37 am

Blenheim Palace is on my list of yet to visit but want to’s, Love Autumn so much!

12. Oct 23, 2018 / 7:46 pm

I’ve not been to Blenheim Palace since I was a child. I’d like to take my children now 😊

13. Oct 23, 2018 / 8:07 am

Such beautiful suggestions. I wish we had more of these options in Cornwall in Autumn. Especially a really good place to go pumpkin picking. x

14. Oct 22, 2018 / 11:04 pm

I am loving the sound of the activities here. A day at the museum would be brilliant.

15. Oct 22, 2018 / 10:15 pm

I have two train enthusiasts in my house, so I think they would like the railway options!

16. Oct 22, 2018 / 8:01 pm

My grandparents lived in Oxford, so even though I visited regularly I only ever saw their house. Will have to return and explore.

17. Oct 22, 2018 / 6:41 pm

We went to Blenheim Palace in the summer and was really impressed with it. We bought an annual pass so definitely have to return this autumn. It’s such a grand place and Woodstock is lovely too

18. Oct 22, 2018 / 3:18 pm

Pumpkin picking is something we can not do here in Sweden, and as the deer ate our pumpkin blooms, it’ll be supermarket ones for us!! We are enjoying all the autumn sunshine we are having though and getting lots of hikes in

19. Oct 22, 2018 / 1:55 pm

These are lovely suggestions. We love taking long Autumn walks especially in National trust or English heritage properties, to which both members of. This make a cheap-day out too for us 🙂

20. Oct 22, 2018 / 12:46 pm

Great post this! We’re off to Oxford in December so will have to give a few of these a go!