Local Adventures: The Vyne Estate #localtourist

The Vyne Estate is a Tudor Mansion built back in the 16th century and was home to The Chute Family. Originally the estate was home to Lord Sandy, Henry VIII’s chamberlain. The Chute family managed this estate for over 300 years before it was passed to the National Trust.

Over the last few years (2016-2018), The Vyne Estate has been undergoing a roof restoration project. It has been estimated to have cost £5.4m, all in hopes of saving the incredible collection. The Chute family gave this estate the character it has now with various art collections and more.

The Vyne Estate Hampshire
The Vyne Estate

The Vyne Estate Hampshire

Last year, I made a decision to start incorporating more local adventures into my travels. I think it is important to play a local tourist in your own city and country. Every month I fly abroad and always in awe of the incredible and rich history the places have. But if I was to look close to home, I would realise that, even here, we do have an incredibly rich history.

One of the major steps I took in hopes of becoming a local tourist, was become a National Trust member. It only costs £6.50 a month for a single membership, they also offer couple and family memberships. Last Autumn I visited lots of National Trust Properties in Oxfordshire. This Autumn, I am starting off with a visit to The Vyne Estate in Hampshire.

The Vyne Estate Hampshire
The Vyne Estate Grounds

The Vyne Estate is nestled on 13 acres of land and beautiful gardens in the Hampshire countryside. What I loved about this estate was the expansive gardens and trails for avid walkers. Whilst it was raining throughout my visit, the view was still perfect. I am eager to see what it looks like during the winter and summer seasons. If you’re wondering whether its worth a visit, then wonder no further.

Things-to-do at The Vyne Estate

From 1827 to 1956, The Vyne Estate was owned by the Chute family, then willed to the National Trust. Since then, the National Trust has maintained the estate and opened to visitors. Below are some things you can do whilst visiting The Vyne Estate.

The Vyne Estate Hampshire
The Vyne Estate
  • Tour the house. The incredible artwork and tapestries done the house. Thanks to the volunteers who give a great history recap of this home’s former owners.
  • Touring the beautiful estate grounds. Even with the rain,  autumn has certainly made the grounds even more beautiful. Armed with a pair of wellies, enjoy a nice autumnal walk around the extensive grounds.
  • Nip into the shop. One of my little enjoyments in life is buying fudge, candles and little bits from the National Trust properties. This time was no different, I can’t wait to light the candle and eat the fudge.
  • Have a picnic. When the weather is good, the grounds are a perfect location for a nice picnic.

Like other national trust properties, at The Vyne Estate, you can enjoy a bit of tea. Love the tea room, picked up some cake, scones and a nice hot drink. The shop also has some awesome sandwiches and other snacks plus a large seating area.

1. October 12, 2018 / 8:32 pm

Looks like a lovely place to explore! Autumn is my favourite time of year – this place looks stunning, especially by the water x

2. October 11, 2018 / 8:35 am

That is a very impressive building. I’m not surprised the roof cost so much, it’s huge! It’s such a great thing that we have the National Trust to help manage such important structures.
    Lucy Dorrington recently posted…Madagascar the Musical Theatre ReviewMy Profile

3. October 10, 2018 / 8:37 pm

Those colors are so beautiful, I bet this would be a lovely place for an Autumnal picnic. National Trust Memberships are fantastic things, absolutely great value for money!

4. October 9, 2018 / 10:17 pm

This looks like a beautiful place to visit and explore! Also what a beautiful view to see whilst enjoying a family picnic!

5. October 9, 2018 / 8:11 pm

I bet it was a lovely day out, it certainly looks very peaceful but grand. The house tour would be so,etching I would love to do if I got the chance to visit.

6. October 9, 2018 / 3:35 pm

This estate looks absolutely stunning! In this gorgeous season of Autumn, too!

7. October 9, 2018 / 3:07 pm

Hampshire is not too far from us but not heard of this one before – will definitely add it to the visit list

8. October 9, 2018 / 10:17 am

This place looks stunning. I am trying to do more locally as well as I think there’s so much to see x

9. October 8, 2018 / 10:38 pm

This place is just beautiful. The idea of exploring the grounds is a must, love the outdoors x

10. October 8, 2018 / 9:46 pm

Ohh wow that looks gorgeous! What a gorgeous place for an autumnal walk!

11. October 8, 2018 / 7:46 pm

It looks a lovely place to visit and have a nice autumnal walk!

12. October 8, 2018 / 1:01 pm

Wow! What an amazing estate! Looks like you visited on the perfect Autumn day as well!

13. October 8, 2018 / 8:16 am