On Trend for Prom 2016

Rite-of-passage may have evolved into a trite, dismissive statement, but it’s always applicable when prom is concerned. Whether your school has a junior prom, senior prom or a junior/senior prom, you want to be a part of it. Even if you are cynical, “emo” or death metal, it’s very likely you (even secretly) long to be part of prom.

formal dresses AU

Image by: jessica899 via flickr

And why shouldn’t you be? Prom may be a pinnacle of a formal dress to be rivaled only, perhaps, by your wedding. Luckily, you have many opportunities to find the perfect dress for such special event. Your instinct may be to run to the local mall or a chain bridal shop – but none of those stores are specifically geared for young women going to prom especially when you’re looking for the perfect 2018 prom dresses. This isn’t the time (unless you want it to be) to be staid and conservative. And really, one of the least attractive (and frankly lazy) prom looks is one where you look like a bridesmaid! You’ll have plenty of time to dress to the whim of the good friend in whose wedding you’ll be an attendant.

Instead, we recommend checking out the ideally, appropriately named Prom Dress Shop. You can choose from an array of colors, styles and sizes. Because, inevitably, if you go into a store, you may find a style you like, but in the wrong color and size – and the variations that come with shops that are trying to appeal to a too wide customer base.

High-Low

Bold? Try a statement dress, like a fabulous high-low prom dress. You can also find such styles at The Prom Shop. Simply stated, these are gowns which are shorter in the front, longer in the back. Designer high-low prom dresses could help make your legs look longer, show off your fancy shoes or pretty pedicure.

If you have the figure for it, you might want to consider the hottest styles for 2016 prom, which include the top three:

Just because the style is “hot” doesn’t mean the dress will flatter you. Here’s a little intel on the aforementioned popular styles:

Princess Ball Gowns

This isn’t a style rocked only by Cinderella, Belle and Snow White. Of the three, this is the most versatile as it is a great option for girls of varying sizes.  The dress features a fitted bodice and then opens into a full skirt from the waist down. So, if you’re “narrow” or built “more like a boy” then it will give you the illusion of curves. If you’re curvy, the skirt camouflages. Princess dresses are available in short, mid-calf and full-length options. The distinction between A-Line and this, the Princess, is that the latter features vertical panels from the neckline to hem.

Mermaid

Unlike the Princess dress, the Mermaid dress is ideal only for a certain type of girl: one confident in a figure-hugging dress, with a silhouette that leaves little to the imagination. A traditional Mermaid dress is fitted from the top of the dress (which can be strapless, sleeved or even with a mock turtle) to the knees, where the flared skirt begins.  It really most flatters a slender figure but if you flaunt curves, this will work, too.

Two-Piece

Adorable. Many come in a mid-drift style top, and if you have a cute torso, this is how you show it off. Skirts can be any length. It’s the ideal time to start looking for a dress and getting ideas for what will best suit you!

Disclaimer: This article is contributed by Maria Sasa

1. February 18, 2016 / 10:28 am

Great post – my teen daughter has her first prom in June for leaving school. We are dress hunting at the moment. Kaz x
    Ickle Pickle recently posted…Planning a weekend for youMy Profile

• February 18, 2016 / 10:46 am

How awesome, hope she finds the dress she likes. Thanks

2. February 15, 2016 / 2:55 pm

I love the dress in the photo. We had a prom when I left sixth form, but I decided I didn’t want to go and used the money to buy myself some stuff and a laptop for uni! I am not a massive party person so I still feel like I made the right choice! haha. I know lots of people love their proms and I think they are a good thing for most people!
    Jenni – Odd Socks and Lollipops recently posted…5 Things I love about InstagramMy Profile

• February 15, 2016 / 2:59 pm

I am the same I skipped both of mine and chilled instead lol

• February 14, 2016 / 1:40 pm

Awww bless I love lilac and I am sure it’s pretty

• February 14, 2016 / 10:08 am

I can imagine and yes I prefer disco than promo less costly but these days it’s the trend

3. February 14, 2016 / 7:50 am

I remember searching high and low for my prom dress with my mum when I was 16 – that was 20 years ago so online retailers didnt really exist then! However love this idea as it also means you are less likely to have that ‘OMG she’s got my dress on’ moment 🙂 x
    Mudpie Fridays recently posted…Project 52 – Week 6My Profile

• February 14, 2016 / 10:03 am

That is true nothing worse than wearing same dress especially if not planned

• February 14, 2016 / 10:03 am

How awesome hope you find something he likes

4. February 14, 2016 / 6:40 am

My eldest will be having his prom next year and he’s already talking about what suit he wants! Best get saving
    Kizzy recently posted…Living the dreamMy Profile

• February 14, 2016 / 10:02 am

Awww bless am sure he’s so excited

5. February 14, 2016 / 12:50 am

Gosh my prom seems so long ago now. I actually wore a two piece. Who knew I was so ahead of my time lol. Coast have had some lovely two pieces lately. I love mermaid style dresses x

• February 14, 2016 / 10:01 am

Hahaha it does feel long go doesn’t it

6. February 13, 2016 / 10:23 pm

My eldest has a prom in May. She’s been planning it since last August. Every second word she says is about her prom dress. It’s clearly a HUGE thing nowadays. She hasn’t mentioned dressing as a mermaid though.

• February 14, 2016 / 9:59 am

Awww bless I can only imagine, the U.K. Has picked it up now as much as the Americans

7. February 13, 2016 / 4:01 pm

One of my regrets is that I didn’t go to my schools prom. I love the beautiful dresses though that you can get for them.

• February 14, 2016 / 9:55 am

I didn’t go to mine and have no regrets if I am honest but I do love the dresses

• February 14, 2016 / 9:54 am

Yea it’s more American than a British thing

8. February 13, 2016 / 2:57 pm

I am not sure how I feel about Proms. I left school before they were a “thing.” Personally I would rather have the money that would be spent on a gown, car, hair and make up for travelling but thats just me.

• February 14, 2016 / 9:52 am

Hahahaha I know how you feel

9. February 13, 2016 / 1:01 pm

They never did Proms when I was at school, but would have loved to gone to one. Love that dress, so pretty

• February 13, 2016 / 1:20 pm

Back home we did discos than proms but they seem nice enough

• February 13, 2016 / 1:19 pm

Awww bless, I am sure it was worth it

• February 13, 2016 / 8:57 am

I loved discos more than proms