The difference between solid and engineered wood floors?

Summer holidays are way underway and it’s the perfect time to start those home renovations you’ve been putting off. Get the house in order before winter turns up and the summer holidays are already over. Though flooring is not the most interesting topic it is one that is essential when doing those home renovations. In today’s post I thought I bring you the differences between solid and engineered wood flooring. It is paramount to ensure that you choose the right flooring for your home.

The difference between solid & engineered wood floors?

Although they are very similar in appearance there are significant differences between solid and engineered wood flooring. So just how do they differ from one another? Well lets start with the composition of the wood. Engineered flooring is made up of layers of different ‘man-made’ woods, this is then topped with a ‘real’ hardwood layer. Solid wood, as you can probably imagine, is made from a solid hard wood. Which is milled from a particular species of tree, for example; walnut, oak etc.

engineered wood

When it comes to deciding between the two the key factor is which room you’re looking to install the flooring. Engineered wood is better for rooms with higher levels of moisture and are more prone to temperature changes. Prime examples are the kitchen and bathroom  areas where engineered wood would be better suited.

Solid wood does not cope well with excessive moisture and differing temperature levels. Though solid wood can contract and warp from its original state it’s best to place it in the lounge or dining room. Such rooms are less prone to have fluctuating temperature changes or high moisture level. The same theory applies with underfloor heating, it’s an absolute no-go with solid wood flooring. On the other hand, underfloor heating would work best paired with engineered wood flooring. So if this is something you were thinking about you need to be extra careful when choosing your floor.

Once installed, solid wood can be sanded and refinished numerous times due to the thickness of the boards. This means that in the unlikely event of any damage to your floor you are able to rectify it hassle-free. However, when it comes to engineered wood it isn’t quite as simple. The floor can be sanded for every 1mm of top layer thickness so long that 1mm is left. It can get a little confusing, it’s important to know the ins and outs of each flooring type.

Of course, both types of flooring are beautiful and are available in so many shades, grades and finishes. It doesn’t matter which one you go with as long as you have assessed all of the aspects of the room that you’r going to install it in!

1. David Elliott
    August 8, 2017 / 4:50 am

This is a very interesting read. I wasn’t aware of the differences between the two, although I can understand dealing with temperature changes being difficult on regular wood flooring.

2. August 7, 2017 / 5:40 am

This is very interesting information as my husband is planning on doing our floors in the next year or so. I will keep this information as it’s very helpful.

3. August 7, 2017 / 2:29 am

My father is really good with home renovation. I don’t have any idea. My husband too so I guess we are lucky to live in an apartment. 🙂

4. Faiza Atif
    August 7, 2017 / 2:17 am

I did not knew much about floors but last year we moved to our new home and my hubby renovated our basement and removed carpet and put down wood floor that time I learned a lot about wood floors. But still did not know real difference in solid wood and other wood floor , very informative post.

5. August 7, 2017 / 12:53 am

I have old hardwood in my bedrooms. I would like to get rid of the carpet in my living room and hallway and put down faux wood flooring.

6. Lisa
    August 7, 2017 / 12:51 am

This is a big help. I am looking for new flooring this is gonna be a great help.

7. August 6, 2017 / 10:56 pm

We just installed new floors in my house and decided to go with Vinyl plank. It was just much cheaper for us and looks just like the wood. But this guide is really helpful to those who are deciding between engineered floors and wood.

8. Kimberly Caines
    August 6, 2017 / 6:54 pm

Who knew that know these difference could be so essential. Great post, especially for new home owners and people looking to renovate their homes. That pic is gorgeouse btw.

9. interNATionalcaty
    August 6, 2017 / 1:55 pm

Oh there is a big difference. I had both. This is great information to share to your readers.

10. Jenn Goggin
    August 6, 2017 / 4:34 am

This is great to know. Now i am going to go check out all the wooden floors in my house like a crazy lady!

11. Lindsey Andrews
    August 6, 2017 / 3:12 am

We replaced our floors and I love the way the color turned out. Saved us so much money but the look is still the same.

12. Marlene
    August 5, 2017 / 11:14 pm

We just replaced our flooring with engineered wood and could not be happier. The color and shine are incredible and the look is AMAZING!

13. Pra Sad
    August 5, 2017 / 5:12 pm

Wood Floor is Trendy … Awesome Too…… Nice Post

14. Becca Talbot
    August 5, 2017 / 4:24 pm

I’m just in the process of buying a new house, and this is just the kind of article I’m going to need in a few months when it comes to redecorating my pad, so pinning it on my Interiors Pinterest board x

15. Nicky ashworth
    August 5, 2017 / 4:10 pm

We have recently redone our kitchen/dining area and it took such a long time to choose the right flooring! Thanks for this information.

16. Carol Washe
    August 5, 2017 / 1:57 pm

I am currently building my cottage. I really found this helpful lm still undecided though

17. Dinesh Dhiman
    August 5, 2017 / 6:17 am

Engineered wood seems better option owing to its obvious advantages.. So much to do, so limited time..