Being Single on Valentine’s Day!!

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone, regardless of whether you celebrate it or not, it’s a day of love. I just read a couple of articles on how to celebrate Valentine’s Day when you’re single, and there is bull-crap out there. Firstly, being single on Valentine’s Day is NOT the end of the world and secondly it’s ok to be single. I was in a relationship for almost 10 years and do not remember much of Valentine’s Day celebrations. We often celebrated either a few days before or a few days after and that was nice.

A couple of days ago I shared how I would be treating my mum to Galentine’s Day instead with a lovely gift. This is another thing you can do if you’re single on Valentine’s Day and wanted to do something. Also yesterday was pancake day, why not continue that through to today and make some pancakes?

single on Valentine's Day

Being single on Valentine’s Day

I know most single people will try to avoid today like a plague but you don’t have to. Yes you don’t have a significant other to celebrate with but that doesn’t mean you can’t. It doesn’t mean you have to avoid the entire day just because of it, there is so much you can do. If you’re single on Valentine’s Day and looking for ways to ‘cope’ on this day, here are some pointers;

• Valentine’s Day is about Love!!

No one said love had to be only shown to your partner; use this time to show love to yourself. Do what you love, what makes you happy and go be selfish.

• Don’t be a hater!

Yes, it is a fact you’re single on Valentine’s Day but that doesn’t mean you have to hate on those who are not. See point one, it’s about love so go out there and show love to you.

• Gather your single friends?

If you have any single friends and want to hang out, don’t make it a pity party or a hater party, enjoy being single. I for one love the freedom being single has afforded me over the last couple of years. Though it didn’t feel like that at the beginning it truly is freeing in some respect.

• Treat yourself!

If you’re like me and have to work all day today then treating yourself can be as simple as having a long soak. Or maybe you want to binge watch your favourite show or movies, whatever it is, you decide. Another way you can treat yourself is booking a little getaway for yourself to look forward to.

single on Valentine's Day

Be your own Valentine’s Day

Again, no one said you had to show love to a partner, why not be your own Valentine? You could treat yourself, buy some flowers, chocolates and wine and dine yourself. I know some people feel weird eating out alone but to be honest there is nothing wrong with that.

Like I said, being single on Valentine’s Day is not the end of the world, be happy for those around you. Be happy within yourself and enjoy the day like any other day of the month. My final tip to those single on Valentine’s Day, TOMORROW, the Valentine’s Day chocolate goes on SALE!!

1. rachelferrucci
    February 16, 2018 / 6:21 am

These are such great tips. There are many things to do on V-Day. Truthfully I’m married and we don’t do anything. I’d rather he take me to dinner on a regular day.

2. Rochkirstin Santos
    February 16, 2018 / 5:57 am

We always celebrate Valentine’s Day every year as a couple except this one. Probably it’s because we’ve grown more mature enough to know the commercialism that lies behind this day. We spent the day together with single friends and family instead.

3. Our Family World
    February 16, 2018 / 5:51 am

Before we had kids, my husband and I went on dinner dates for Valentines. However, raising a family changed our perspective on how to celebrate Valentines. Why leave the children out to go on a date, when we can celebrate together as a family? That’s what we’ve been doing ever since and we love it!

4. chubskulit
    February 15, 2018 / 2:54 pm

I didn’t get married till I was 30 and all those years, I was always single every Valentine’s day. It did not really affected me. Self love is very important.

5. February 15, 2018 / 2:47 pm

I think Valentine’s Day is a PERFECT day to show some self love. I know many who berate themselves for not being in a relationship. It’s not about the partner, it is how you feel about you! Great ideas here!!

6. February 15, 2018 / 8:50 am

I was my own Valentine this year (and have been for the past several years) and I love it! I had to work this year but I’m going to treat myself to a night out this weekend…LOL!

7. Vyjay Rao
    February 15, 2018 / 7:36 am

Valentines Day is an ocassion to revel in the goodness of love. It does not mean that if you are alone you cannot celebrate love. These are some nice ways to celebrate and enjoy the spirit of Valentines.

8. February 15, 2018 / 4:23 am

I am married but I am SINGLE as in, I am ALONE today on Valentine’s Day because my husband’s traveling. That being said, I celebrate how much I love him EVERY DAY so singling out one day of the year isn’t something I do!

9. February 14, 2018 / 8:50 pm

I agree that Valentines day is not just about romantic love. I celebrate with my kids as well, they are my little loves and deserve to celebrate too. I also like the idea of spoiling yourself on this day, we all need a little of that in our life!

10. February 14, 2018 / 8:42 pm

These are some lovely ideas of things to do on Valentine’s if you are single. I have to admit even though I am not it’s just been a normal day here. We don’t really celebrate it much.

11. February 14, 2018 / 8:24 pm

My husband and I just enjoyed a rare lunch together alone without kids today. It was nice just that we were kid free. We don’t got to an expensive restaurant. We just spent the lunch hour together. It was great and I’m happy for that time. Celebrate it or don’t celebrate it but don’t let the day make you self conscious or feel down. There are many perks to being single. I mean for starters you don’t have to run anything by anyone else before you make a decision.

12. Sara Welch
    February 14, 2018 / 8:18 pm

This is such a great way to encourage the single ladies. Nothing wrong with being free for now!

13. Tomi_C
    February 14, 2018 / 7:21 pm

Happy Valentines Day and I love that you say “Don’t be a hater!”. I’m married to my valentine but I can’t wait for today’s high priced chocolates to go on sale tomorrow. (~_*)

14. February 14, 2018 / 7:01 pm

Im not single but these are some great ideas. Always remember to treat yourself to something nice.

15. February 14, 2018 / 4:56 pm

I love the idea of gathering single friends together for a Galentine’s Day celebration. It’s all about love, but love can be for friends & relatives, too!

16. February 14, 2018 / 3:57 pm

I just shared this on Twitter because I completely agree. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being single on valentines day and its a great day to be able to spend time with friends as well x

17. Jeanette
    February 14, 2018 / 1:23 pm

There is a lot that you can do as a single person Valentine’s Day. Yes Valentine’s Day supposed to be for couples but who says you can’t date/spoil yourself

18. February 14, 2018 / 1:19 pm

Yup, if you’re single, I’d so go out with friends and party. Or see a movie. I’m married and I’m just relaxing at home and ordering pizza. There will be too many people out today!

19. Candy Kage
    February 14, 2018 / 12:57 pm

So many places that just cater to singles on valentine day now. Just not a couples holiday. Get up and go out.

20. Robin Rue
    February 14, 2018 / 11:52 am

I’ve been single and I’ve been married on Valentine’s Day and I’ve really grown to hate it over the years. LOL. Now I ignore it completely 🙂

21. Alli Smith
    February 14, 2018 / 11:48 am

I totally agree with your thoughts! I don’t remember ever thinking much about being single on Valentine’s Day when I was single. I certainly didn’t have a pity party. Valentine’s Day is not just for couples.