7 ways to enjoy a long haul flight

Long haul flight, they can be exciting but most of us dread them, why? Because they are so long and being confide in a small enough space is not my idea of fun. At times I wish I had an alternative hence why I often opt to break them up into chunks. But majority of times I am often buzzing when I book long haul flights because I am excited about the destination.

Over the last few years I have made it my mission to focus on the final destination and what I will be enjoying. But there is still no getting away from the fact that to get to my destination I have to survive a long flight. Here are 7 ways to enjoy a long haul light and make it a fun and memorable experience.

long haul flight

I have been on a number of long haul flights in my life and each has been different in its own way. Some have been great like my trip to Dubai last year and some not so great, like my trip from Bali. Both of these experiences and others have taught me lessons which I have been utilizing in my other long flights. I have also learnt over the years how to travel stress free.

7 Ways to enjoy a Long Haul Flight

• Comfort is key – economy doesn’t always scream comfort but you can make it so. Wear comfy clothing, loose trousers, compression socks and air circulating underwear.
  • Stay hydrated – flying causes the body to become dehydrated, drink small intermittent sips of your water and other liquids throughout the flight.
  • Exercise – sitting for too long is not good for circulation therefore onseat stretches and walking the cabin aisle is important. Stretch your legs when possible
  • Find entertainment – reading a book, chatting to neighbours or loading your tablet with your favourite programs. I also like to ensure I have good songs and games to keep me entertained.
  • Keep warm – sometimes it can get nippy up there, make sure to pack a heavy scarf to cover yourself. We l know airplane blankets aint warm enough
  • Sleep is important – think of the time you will be arriving at your destination. If it will be night time, sleep less on the plane, if day time sleep more. Some people struggle to sleep, check with your GP for sleep medication or use natural remedies.
  • Great neck support – one thing I always struggle with on flights is not having great *neck support pillow. Everyone despises the ones offered on flights and some store bought ones leaves plenty to be desired. Make sure to purchase one that will support your neck and keep you comfort throughout.

Summer vacations slowly creeping up and many off on long haul flights, make sure to prepare in advance. There is nothing worse than suffering through a long haul flight, trust me on this. Its not like you can ask the pilot to stop off cloud 9 so you can take a breather. Make it an enjoyable experience with these simple tips plus others you might use already.

long haul flight

Asterisked (*) links are amazon affiliate links, purchases made via this link will earn me a commission at no extra charge to you. Thank you for supporting the brands that support me.

1. April 18, 2018 / 9:05 am

This is a very timely post for us! While we are not traveling that far … New York to LAX, it still is good to know that we have options like these. I am looking forward to utilizing this when I travel to the Philippines to visit my family.

2. April 16, 2018 / 9:29 pm

So glad I came across this because I’ve just booked a flight to Bangkok and I HATE long haul flights. My bum always hurts after sitting for so long lol! Definitely learnt my lesson last time with regards to comfy outfits.

• April 17, 2018 / 1:34 pm

Oh I know the feeling, my first time I was in tight jeans, lets just say I know the feeling. Glad this post came at the right time for you, enjoy Bangkok

3. Kara
    April 16, 2018 / 6:18 pm

I have to admit that I prefer long haul to short haul as there is more to occupy you (and the kids)

4. April 16, 2018 / 11:09 am

Long haul flights can be the worst, especially with a small child. Great tips! 🙂

5. Hungry_Healthy_Happy
    April 15, 2018 / 6:50 pm

Lots of great tips here, however when you have a toddler it’s a whole different story haha snacks and activities are a must.

6. April 15, 2018 / 10:15 am

Long haul flights are a mix for me… I like and hate them in equal measure. If the kids are good (and sleeping) they’re great! But once they’re awake I just can’t relax which ruins it lol.

7. April 14, 2018 / 6:45 pm

I’ve only done a few long haul flights and I think keeping entertained is always the best way to enjoy a long haul flight. I do always try to sleep but sometimes I find it hard x

8. Lauretta
    April 14, 2018 / 4:34 pm

I think a neck support pillow is a must for long flights.

9. Baby Isabella
    April 14, 2018 / 4:17 pm

Entertainment is key, especially when travelling with kids, long haul flights tend to be good with putting on movies and my mummy usually watches 4 in a row and then sleeps! Great tips x

10. April 14, 2018 / 3:26 pm

I much prefer long haul flights to short haul. This is a great list, I think staying hydrated is so important.

11. April 14, 2018 / 7:37 am

I am terrible on long-haul flights but agree that entertainment is key. I always watch movies and then try and sleep a bit to help the time go quickly.

12. Laura Dove
    April 13, 2018 / 4:47 pm

I’ve never done a long haul flight due to a fear of flying. Now with four children it’s really not something I think I could manage!

13. April 13, 2018 / 7:25 am

Long haul flights seem to be the only time I ever have to read my book – I love them for that. Not so fun though when you’re sat in front of some guy with long legs who won’t let you recline your seat though…..

14. Alison Rost
    April 13, 2018 / 3:38 am

It’s tough to enjoy long haul flights, so it’s really important that you’re comfy and hydrated. These are very good pointers for everyone.

15. April 12, 2018 / 11:15 pm

These are some great sounding tips, I have to admit I’m sure how I would cope on a long haul flight these days but if I do go for it one day I’ll try and remember these tips.

16. Hayley
    April 12, 2018 / 9:03 pm

I’ve only done two long haul flights but I slept through them mostly!

17. Micaela Levachyov
    April 12, 2018 / 8:54 pm

I have to admit I have a slight phobia about long flights but these are some good ideas to keep comfortable