Home Office Wishlist {2018} – What I need

Working from home is a luxury that I am forever grateful for about my job because not many can. Hence why a couple of years ago I invested in a home office space for blogging and my day job. Most 9-5 jobs require you to be in the office majority of the time, whereas mine not so much. Provided I am working as per my contract, I can work from anywhere in the world. But alas I enjoy popping into the office to have human interactions.

Home office

Of late have I have been complaining about my home office no longer being fit for purpose. Mostly because I could do with a new chair (first and foremost), better designed desk and a larger monitor. This is what has prompted me to share my home office wishlist and hopefully my family are reading this. Dont worry about buying new items, I am happy with refurbished ones and I can arrange for a *moving company to collect.

Home Office Wishlist

Before I created a home office space, I used to work from my bed or my living room floor. This was not good for my back, was bad for my eyes and it wasn’t comfortable. I made a decision to create a workable environment at home and it was the best decision ever. But over the years wear and tear have consumed my work station and now I am in need of new items. Here is the items that I need most for my home office.

Home Office Desk

The desk that I currently use I bought from Argos at a good price and it has served me well. But the bottom drawer has now given way and it doesn’t have enough storage for me. Because my seat is not comfortable, I find myself standing behind it to work. But obviously I don’t have a standing desk therefore it makes it awkward bending over.

Home office

Ergonomic Home Office Chair

Working 9-5 Monday to Friday then blogging outside these hours I find myself sitting for long periods. My current chair is another budget item I purchased from Argos which does not support me well. I have always struggled with staying in the seat for too long, often I stand for relief. Since I started researching what chairs I need that provide great back support Ergonomic chairs are first choice.

Home Office Monitors

One thing I love about going to the office is I have two large screens which makes working easier. At home I struggle with just working from my personal laptop which is 10 inch screen size. Not really ideal for larger documents like excel spreadsheets or reviewing contracts. I have recently started connecting my laptop to my TV, this inspired me to invest in a new screen. As it has made working much easier but I still suffer with looking at the small screen for other items.

I have a long list of items that I want to purchase for my office space but for now this is all I will share.  Things like art decor has made my space more relaxing as I stare at pieces from my travels. I also have small plants near my working space which honestly give me life when I get tired of staring at my screens.

Do you have a home office or office space at home?

Home office

*Asterisked link is collaborative

1. Blair villanueva
    May 13, 2018 / 3:52 am

This reminds me, I need to buy an ergonomic chair! Mine now is just a stool chair which is sometimes very inconvenient 🙂

2. May 11, 2018 / 1:47 pm

I almost have the same wishlist as you! I’ve got a small apartment but I’ve been meaning to revamp things and make my own cozy home office.

3. May 11, 2018 / 3:44 am

I agree that a large monitor can really make a difference. I just work from my tablet and I find myself always wishing my screen was larger.

4. May 10, 2018 / 9:35 pm

I finally got a designated workspace but I still find myself on the couch with my laptop. I think a stand-up desk may help me though especially when I’m trying to check things and tend to the kids.

5. Hannah Mitchell
    May 10, 2018 / 3:41 pm

Awwe this is a great idea for office supplies. Thank you for sharing! I love making wishlists so when I get my office set up I will look into all of these ideas. 🙂

6. May 10, 2018 / 1:03 pm

I hear you on needing new office equipment. I live in a small apartment and we are currently looking for suitable desk and chair so I can create a home office in a spare corner lol. An ergonomic space is essential, as you’ve mentioned, saves your back, your sight and your mind.

7. Gemille Sleweon
    May 9, 2018 / 9:35 pm

I have a whole pinterest board dedicated to my #OfficeGoals lol. I’d love to have 2 monitors as well. I worked with them during an internship and it makes everything so much easier to do.

• May 10, 2018 / 12:41 pm

It really does, I hope to get some proper ones very soon as I really could do with them.

8. May 9, 2018 / 7:30 pm

I don’t have my own official home office, but it would be nice to set one up so that I can focus on my work. These are great ideas.

• May 10, 2018 / 12:42 pm

Thanks Marysa, I think a dedicated space is always nice to have so you can focus but others prefer other areas.

9. May 9, 2018 / 2:31 pm

Those chairs are amazing and good for the back. ON my wish list too! I wish they weren’t so expensive.

10. May 9, 2018 / 2:23 pm

I’ve got a super long home office wish list. I want my office to be glam and comfy so I actually work in there. I have a bad habit of not actually using my office now.

11. May 9, 2018 / 7:20 am

I have an office space at home that I decorated beautifully but I prefer to work from the couch. HA! Sometimes it’s not the most productive but, like you, I feel like I need more comfy office chair and that may make me want to work from my office more.

12. May 9, 2018 / 6:37 am

I need to paint my little home office nook. I think if I did that, I’d want to spend more time in the space. Right now its lacking a personal touch.

13. May 9, 2018 / 5:15 am

Oh my goodness! I need a new GOOD chair so bad!!! Mine is total junk. I bought it over 7 years ago for 15 bucks lol. I have a pillow on it right now that I sit on so I can sit high enough but there is no back support worth mentioning. YES to this list!

• May 9, 2018 / 6:31 am

I know what you mean, I have a pillow on it to seat on as its currently not comfortable at all

14. May 9, 2018 / 5:08 am

What a cool wishlist! I love making sure that I have everything in my home office. And I like adding stuff that helps motivate me to work or something that keeps me from getting bored!

15. May 9, 2018 / 4:49 am

Until recently I was using my bed and couch for my blog, have decided my desk is a better option though. Like you I wish I had a better chair.

16. May 9, 2018 / 3:40 am

An Ergonomic Home Office Chair is ideal for anyone who has to sit for long periods of time at an office. They can get so expensive though!

17. May 9, 2018 / 2:46 am

My sister is great DIY designers and she recently resigned a trashed mini couch into her own personal office chair… She loves working from home. Unfortunately I’m not there yet 🙂

18. May 9, 2018 / 2:38 am

We could use a “real” home office space. We just use a table in our basement where we entertain. I guess you can make any space you need your home office and decorate it. I will have to rethink the space. I like the better chair idea.

19. kim
    May 9, 2018 / 1:19 am

I seriously need to upgrade my home office and I love all of your ideas! Might need to start my own wishlist.

20. May 9, 2018 / 1:17 am

I have a wishlist of my own. Office space as a blogger is helpful.

21. May 9, 2018 / 12:52 am

A new desk and chair sound like something I need to throw on my list. Finding the right ones (and for the right price) isn’t always easy.

22. May 9, 2018 / 12:23 am

My home office wish list consists of wanting a new desk. I love the idea of having a better way to get organized so I can be more productive.

23. May 8, 2018 / 11:20 pm

I love nothing more than sitting down in my little mini office and getting some work done. I write so much better at a desk.

24. May 8, 2018 / 11:17 pm

Oh yes! I recently took over one of our bedrooms and am in the process of making it my own office. It’s almost there but it’s going to take some time to get the feel I really want.

25. May 8, 2018 / 10:30 pm

An awesome work space will make you more excited about working! I think it’s really important to update your office from time to time especially if it’s going to motivate you! Cool wishlist!

26. May 8, 2018 / 10:16 pm

This definitely gave me some ideas for my home office space! Love this checklist it is really great information!

27. May 8, 2018 / 9:37 pm

Oh yeah, ergonomics and a great chair are so important! It would be awesome to be working from home full time!

28. May 8, 2018 / 9:25 pm

I sadly don’t have an area for a home office, I work from my sofa, but I would absolutely love to have an area to work from one day. An area to keep things set up it would make things so much easier.

29. May 8, 2018 / 9:14 pm

Someday the only reason why i wish i’d work from home is just to have a home office and decorate the way i want! that’d be so exciting! there’d be prints all over the wall and it would be so instagrammable

30. May 8, 2018 / 6:48 pm

I lke my home office and have gotten used to it over many years. I think the most important things you need are a good chair , desk and file cabinets which I need to clear out.

31. May 8, 2018 / 6:45 pm

I have a dedicated home office space in my home. The desk I thrifted and the chair was gifted. I would love to revamp my space though.

32. May 8, 2018 / 6:24 pm

I love it now that I have an office at home, I can really work without trying to find a space for it. I still prefer to use a desktop over a laptop though.

33. robin rue
    May 8, 2018 / 5:43 pm

I don’t even have an office, so I would love one! I work from my laptop on my couch right now.

34. Hannah Marie
    May 8, 2018 / 5:34 pm

I would love to have everything on the list, haha. That’s awesome that you can work anywhere and still has an office that you can go to.

35. May 8, 2018 / 2:47 pm

I wish I had enough space in my apartment for a home office. I share my office space with my bedroom, which isn’t that big but it’s doable for now. I recently bought a new desk and a new chair but I would love to add some wall shelves just to save some space on my cluttering desk . I am working on it though. Great list!

36. Jessica Taylor
    May 8, 2018 / 2:29 pm

I need a new desk so bad! I have absolutely NO space in my bedroom to keep supplies anymore!

37. May 8, 2018 / 11:56 am

I started my blog about two months ago and very quickly realized that I needed to have a desk in my home. I didn’t feel as productive when I was banging away at my laptop on my couch or bed.

So I turned my “Lady Parlor” (opposite of a “Man Cave”) into my office. I have a desk and a comfy chair and it has truly made me feel like a boss. #Hustle 🙂

38. candy
    May 8, 2018 / 11:40 am

All important items needed for a home office. Get a really good chair for support. Might cost more but totally worth the money for your back.

39. May 8, 2018 / 7:45 am

Such a great checklist! You have inspired me to redo my home office! thanks for highlighting all the essentials 🙂

40. Minakshi Bajpai
    May 8, 2018 / 4:11 am

41. Andrea
    May 8, 2018 / 2:37 am

these are all such great ideas for working from home.
    i work from home and dont have a space that is just for working. i literally will jump from my bed to my couch and everywhere else. it’s weird.

42. May 8, 2018 / 1:22 am

I love my office located in the loft, away from the chaos of the house LOL. Nice list and all are essential for a comfortable functional office.

43. May 7, 2018 / 9:52 pm

I have an office corner with a big monitor, PC and decent mechanical keyboard which I love – I hate using a laptop to work on – if I do have to use one I always plug in a keyboard and mouse – I find them so much more comfortable to work on. I hope you eventually get everything on your list 🙂

44. Ally
    May 7, 2018 / 8:02 pm

I desperately need a home office. I love your wishlist, I’ll have to add several of your wishlist items to my own personal wishlist!

45. May 7, 2018 / 7:32 pm

I blog from my bed and on the sofa much to my Mum’s despair. She is always warning me about my back. I could work from the dining room which has a proper table and chairs but I am a creature of habit so I will need to be disciplined and just do it.

46. May 7, 2018 / 3:28 pm

I have a dedicated home office I couldn’t imagine not having one. I do want to make it a little more appealing though.

47. May 7, 2018 / 1:36 pm

Yes, I would love all of these too! I need a larger monitor and I could use a better chair. Granted, this is all if I had an office. As it is, I just sit on the living room couch when I’m getting business done.

48. May 7, 2018 / 12:28 pm

I don’t work from home, but with recently taking up blogging I am starting to realise the importance of having a usable and ergonomic workspace! Currently it’s my laptop at the dining room table haha. I hope you get your wish list items! 🙂

49. May 7, 2018 / 12:14 pm

I work from home a lot but don’t currently have space for a dedicated home office. I’m hoping that when we move I can set up some space for a working area – my essentials are a comfy seat and pretty prints!