Life Lessons learnt whilst traveling

Travel far enough that one day you meet yourself in the clouds, this is how far I wanna travel. Every month I sit down and think about where I want to go next, staring at my never-ending bucket-list. I am fortunate to be in a position where I can travel whenever and however I choose. This is not something I take for granted, I did not get here by accident, rather I worked for it.

Back in December 2015 I made a decision that would turn out to be the best of the best. I decided to stop waiting on people to help me fulfil my dreams, it’s a decision I celebrate every day of my life. Fear made me think I couldn’t navigate this big wide world alone and would rather hide. But I am thankful I did not cower but rather forged ahead and today I am celebrating.

lessons learnt traveling

Life Lessons learnt whilst Traveling

Traveling is something that you spend money on and makes you richer, richer in knowledge and wisdom. Every single time I travel, I learn something new and often it is about my own capabilities. Solo travelers will tell you doing things your way and at your own pace is the best feeling ever. But there also times when you found yourself lonely but it’s those times when you need to push yourself.

Regular readers would have already read how I spent 48 hours in Aalborg Denmark. What I did not share in that post is how much courage I needed to pull together to enjoy this visit. Not all travels one undertakes are as glamorous as people think nor are they as enlightening as one would like. Fortunately for me Aalborg proved to be such an amazing place that I wouldn’t mind going back. It is a city which for the first time since I started traveling I thought, you know what, I could actually live here.

When I arrived that Thursday morning, I had no clue how much I would enjoy my visit. With some cities because of how popular they are, you know in advance what kind of experience you might have. But with Aalborg, it was a little different, there weren’t many articles I could read up on. This did make me wonder if I should go or just stay at home. These thoughts were prevalent especially in the days leading up to my visit to Aalborg.

It is then I realised, it is important to be happy in your decisions and not second guess yourself. I am super glad I went, it turned out to be more than I had hoped for and definitely high on my list. Whenever you’re in doubt, think back to why you wanted to do something in the first place. Do you still recognise with the original thinking, is it something I want to do or continue doing. Only you can answer this for yourself, never allow anyone to control your happiness.

Bottom line, ‘Don’t wait for someone to make you happy, go out there and make yourself happy’. People can only add to your existing happiness, don’t be someone’s puppy.

1. October 8, 2018 / 2:07 pm

You’re right, only you can make yourself happy so if you want to do something or visit somewhere only you can make it happen x

2. October 8, 2018 / 2:07 pm

It’s lovely to see you take control off your life na d live it how you want. I would be so worried about travelling on my own but that’s more because of my health issues than anything.

3. October 8, 2018 / 2:07 pm

Well done for going on your own, even when you weren’t sure if it was the right thing to do. I’m glad your visit was worth the angst beforehand!

4. October 8, 2018 / 2:07 pm

To be honest, that’s the kind of travelling I love the most. The kind that pushes you out of your comfort zone and makes you do and see things that you might not otherwise! 🙂

• October 8, 2018 / 4:10 pm

I am in agreement, playing it safe is not always the way forward.

5. October 8, 2018 / 2:07 pm

I’m not a fan of my own company, so travelling solo hasn’t been something I’ve thought about.

Maybe I should dip my toe into the whole solo traveller thing with a stayaction and see how i get on

6. Hannah
    October 8, 2018 / 2:07 pm

I’m a solo traveller and i enjoy it. I get to do my own thing and not have to worry about anyone else

7. October 8, 2018 / 2:07 pm

I usually find destinations I know nothing about are usually the most exciting. Places like Rome and Venice can give you high expectations and then can be a let down

8. July 6, 2018 / 7:27 pm

9. July 5, 2018 / 8:26 pm

10. July 5, 2018 / 5:06 pm

11. July 5, 2018 / 7:57 am

12. Hannah
    July 4, 2018 / 10:06 pm

13. July 4, 2018 / 9:20 pm

14. July 4, 2018 / 12:07 pm

• Miranda
      Author
      July 4, 2018 / 1:11 pm

I am in agreement, playing it safe is not always the way forward.