48 Hours in Aalborg Denmark

Every year travel somewhere you’ve never been before, this quote is the epitome of #take12trips. Whenever I am looking for somewhere to visit, that quote comes to mind and helps me decide on a destination. The recent destination was a relatively unknown city {to me} in the northern region of Denmark.

Aalborg is the fourth largest city and the second highly populated city in Denmark after Copenhagen. It is often neglected for Copenhagen which is a major touristic destination in Denmark. But to miss Aalborg is to miss indulging in the beauty of the Northern region of this beautiful country.

Aalborg Denmark

How-to get to Aalborg

Depending on where you’re located, Aalborg can be reached in a number of ways; rail, air or bus. From London it is mere 90-minute flight and thanks to Ryanair you can grab a bargain flight. Copenhagen to Aalborg is a distance of 250+ mile journey and takes about 4 hours to reach. A weekend away to Copenhagen covering Aalborg would not suffice but to Aarhus might be possible.

How-to get from Airport to City

Aalborg airport is a mere 9 mile away from the city centre with good public transport connections. Taking bus 12 it takes 15 minutes and there are 15 stops between the airport and the city. It is easy to navigate your way around the city using the public transport, just download the bus app. MinRejseplan.

Aalborg Denmark

Where-to Stay in Aalborg

When I was looking at the places to stay I must admit I struggled because of the prices. Obviously the Scandinavian region is known for not being ‘cheap’ so it shouldn’t have been too surprising. I did my research and decided to stay at the Cabinn Hotel in the town centre located close to the promenade. It was the best decision ever, use my Booking.com affiliate link to get 10% off your booking. Whilst the economy rooms are small, for max two people they are definitely worth it.

48 Hours in Aalborg Denmark

Whenever I plan to travel somewhere new, I take sometime to read about the city and its history. I can not sprout out some history of about how it was an important city during the Middle Ages. But I can tell you about what I got up to whilst I stayed in the city for 4 days and explored for 2 days.

As I mentioned traveling from London to Northern Denmark takes a mere 90-minutes flight. Having read only a few articles about the city, I was excited to explore and see what it had to offer. Here are some of the places I managed to explore on my recent visit.

Aalborg Denmark

For this History Buffs

• Kunsten Museum of Modern Art Aalborg, built in 1968 by Finnish architects and finished in 1972. The museum showcases both domestic and international contemporary modern art collections.
  • Utzon Center, this is the last building built by Utzon in conjunction with his son before he died in 2008. The centre was created as a place where architect students could come together and share ideas.
  • The Franciscan Friars {Gråbrødrekloster Museum}, a museum located in the city centre and can only be accessed via a lift. The museums tell of story of the history of the Franciscan monastery and about the city itself. It is definitely worth a visit, for a tiny fee you can read up all about the history.
  • Aalborghus Castle – 16th century castle built by King Christian III located in middle town near the water front. It is only a couple of minutes walk from Cabinn hotel which is also located near the water front. The castle was designed as a fortress and it took an impressive 16 years to finish.

Other Must-See Places in Aalborg

One thing that I loved doing whilst in Aalborg was taking random walks around the city and enjoying the view. If there is one street you should dedicate as much time to as possible it the Jomfru Ane Gade. It isone on the most popular streets in Aalborg I literally spent all my time here. On either side of the streets you’re treated with shops, bars and restaurants. The weather was perfect the entire time I was there, the restaurants where always busy and loud. Other must see places in the city include;

• St Budolfi Church, built in the 14th century the cathedral falls under the Lutheran Diocese.
  • The Abbey of Our Lady, it is unknown when the abbey was consecrated.
  • The Hospital of the Holy Ghost
  • University of Aalborg
  • Jens Bang’s House

There is definitely more to the city of Aalborg than meets the eye, my favourite was the warmth of its people. I at one point thought if I ever moved from the UK, it is one city I would definitely consider moving to. If you’re looking to read more about Aalborg, check out this article which is very thorough.

Aalborg Denmark

1. Dannii
    October 8, 2018 / 2:10 pm

I love Denmark, but I have only ever been to Copenhagen. Would love to see more of the country.

2. October 8, 2018 / 2:10 pm

The photos of Aalborg looks amazing! To be honest, I’ve not heard much about it but it seems like a place I would enjoy without a doubt, thanks for your review on the place.

3. October 8, 2018 / 2:10 pm

48 hours in Denmark is longer than I spent there (my friends and I went to Copenhagen for just 6 hours!) – but it’s great that you still managed to cram so much into your trip x

4. Jenn
    October 8, 2018 / 2:10 pm

Looks like such a great trip! I would love to visit this city someday.

5. October 8, 2018 / 2:10 pm

Aalborg looks wonderful, sometimes its nice to discover places that are not as popular to visit. Aalborg looks beautiful , what agreat find.

6. October 8, 2018 / 2:10 pm

I’ve never been outside of Copenhagen in Denmark but this sounds like a really cool place x

7. October 8, 2018 / 2:09 pm

I didn’t realize that Denmark was only a 90-minute flight from London! I would love to visit the museums and look at all the beautiful landmarks.

8. October 8, 2018 / 2:09 pm

Oh man I bet Denmark was amazing! It is on my travel bucket list and I can’t wait to go one day!!

9. Candy
    October 8, 2018 / 2:09 pm

Never been to Denmark. Went to Iceland which we enjoyed. Denmark would be fun. Love historical parts.

10. October 8, 2018 / 2:09 pm

Love the idea of traveling to lesser known destinations and evry year a new place sounds great. I have never been to Denmark so this city looks beautiful to explore.

11. October 8, 2018 / 2:09 pm

I’ve never been lucky enough to leave the US, but I would love to one day. Denmark looks to be beautiful.

12. Catalina
    October 8, 2018 / 2:09 pm

I love travelling. And I love to visit small town. There you will find out the real life of the country.

13. October 8, 2018 / 1:12 pm

We’ve never been to any parts of Europe. Denmark is beautiful and this one right here, looks like a charm!

14. July 3, 2018 / 10:42 pm

15. July 2, 2018 / 4:43 pm

16. Dannii
    July 1, 2018 / 11:09 am

17. June 30, 2018 / 11:12 pm

18. June 30, 2018 / 5:41 pm

19. Jenn
    June 30, 2018 / 2:48 pm

Looks like such a great trip! I would love to visit this city someday.

20. June 29, 2018 / 7:50 pm

You really seem to have the most amazing adventures! What a great place to visit Aalborg seems to be, I have to admit I’ve never thought about going to Denmark but I may have to change that thinking now.

21. June 29, 2018 / 5:00 pm

I have heard of Aalborg has my partner has mentioned their football team a few times. I would love to visit Denmark sometime I love visiting other European country and seeing their historical sites.

22. October 8, 2018 / 4:14 pm

23. October 8, 2018 / 4:14 pm

24. June 28, 2018 / 9:08 pm

This looks amazing-I’d love to go to Denmark! I’ve heard such amazing things about Denmark-so lovely, beautiful, and full of awesome culture.