Take Twelve Trips April 2018 #2 – Zagreb Highlight

Travel far enough you meet yourself in the clouds, this is another one of my favourite quotes. On my recent business trip, I decided to make an adventure of my visit to Zagreb hence Zagreb highlight. I felt it would have been a waste to spend five good days in the city just to work and not explore it. With that thought in mind, I opted to spend the weekend before my work trip exploring the city.

From the moment I landed, Zagreb had stolen my heart, I had no expectations but loved what I saw. It is a city which is unsuspecting and leaves you staring into the city like a mad man. At the airport I met one of the loveliest taxis drivers ever, these days you can never be too careful traveling alone. He not only gave me a guide-book but recommendations on where to eat and places to see.

Zagreb highlight

Take Twelve Trips April 2018 #2 – Zagreb Highlight

For those new to A July Dreamer, I should probably start by introducing this series which I share monthly. Back in December 2015 I stumbled upon a fellow bloggers post on this travel challenge, I knew I had to participate. At first I thought, its best to start in January so its simpler to document the travels I undertake. But then I thought, why wait to do something when I can do it today and with that I started.

Over two years later, the Take Twelve Trips series is the most read articles on A July Dreamer. It gives me great join that many of my readers enjoy catching up on my travel adventures too. The recent adventure is the Zagreb highlight which I truly enjoyed for those 48 hours. The rest of the 5 days were spent in doors all day everyday working my life away.

Zagreb Highlight Day 1

After the awesome taxis driver dropped me off at my apartment for the night, I went to check in. Though I had arrived incredibly early, 11 am as opposed to 2pm the check-in time I was able to check-in. I was a bit peckish and took the drivers recommendation and had lunch at Vinodol an incredible restaurant. After lunch, I went to freshen up then left to explore the glorious city which was super sunny.

Listening to the drivers instructions, I went into the centre did some people watching before touring. Then walked up the hill to St Mark’s church and visited other museums in close proximity. I also managed to get a bird’s eye view of the city which was totally epic and such an incredible view.

ZAGREB HIGHLIGHT

Leaving St. Mark’s church I walked towards the Dolac Farmers market which unfortunately was closed. A shame really as I really wanted to see what the fuss was all about, but nonetheless it didn’t happen. I continued to tour the city on foot admiring all the amazing architectural buildings around Zagreb.

Soon after I found myself in front of the Zagreb Cathedral, an important monument in the city. It is free to enter so I went in, made a little video, payed my respects and left. The weather was becoming too much so off I went to hand for some ice cream. I found a cute little shop which had the best ice cream, next to it was a souvenir shop which I loved.

From there I walked to the Ban Jelačik Square where I did more people watching before continuing on. The walk was so refreshing, the city is so lively and very energetic but slow-paced too. I managed to spend over 4 hours walking the city, touring famous places then retiring for the day.

Zagreb Highlight Day Two

I did not realise just how much walking I had done until the next morning when I could barely move. From the aches in my feet and calf I knew it was a day of rest for a reason and rest I did. After I checked out and moved to the Westin hotel, I knew I had to explore the city some more. Often I see places in a rush but I also love to head back and revisit places of interest. The Croatian National Theatre was such a places that I knew I had to see again.

The two days I spent exploring Zagreb were just incredible, one fast paced and the other slow-paced. I felt alive being amongst the people and just enjoying life in another country. This was important trip to me because I knew 5 of those days I would be cooped up indoors working.

I hope to return to the city again and share it with my OH and my parents, it is a must visit.

1. May 7, 2018 / 2:10 am

Wow, the photos look amazing. It certainly sounds you had some lovely visits.

2. May 5, 2018 / 10:11 pm

I know the name Zagreb but that’s about it, yet it looks a beautiful city to explore. Croatia seems to be growing in popularity as a tourist destination.

3. May 5, 2018 / 11:53 am

There are so many amazing hidden treasures in the world, isn’t there! This sounds like one of those places!

4. May 4, 2018 / 3:03 pm

I’ve never heard of Zagreb before so thanks for the introduction. I’m a fan of historic architecture and the pictures you took did a great job showcasing the architecture of Zagreb. Stunning pics.

• May 4, 2018 / 7:48 pm

Thanks Tomi, I too love architecture of all kind and glad you enjoyed the pictures

5. May 4, 2018 / 2:12 pm

I love seeing people traveling and enjoying life. Life is so stressful enough , nice photographs by the way . Looking for more travel adventures in the near future.

6. May 4, 2018 / 12:24 pm

I’ve never been to Zagreb before! I think it’s awesome that you shared your trip with us and what you did during the 5 days. The architecture is amazing!

• May 4, 2018 / 1:24 pm

The architecture is absolutely stunning, you should add it to your list.

7. May 4, 2018 / 10:57 am

It’s very interesting to see, different architectures from different places. That’s always an attraction for me.

8. May 4, 2018 / 7:14 am

What a beautiful place to visit, it’s good that you took time out to explore. It’s nice to have the opportunity to travel.

9. May 4, 2018 / 6:48 am

Zagreb looks so charming and classy. The view of the city from St. Marks Church is really beautiful. Would love to walk among the enchanting streets of Zagreb.

• May 4, 2018 / 1:20 pm

It is an amazing place, I was totally blown away by the city

10. May 4, 2018 / 5:02 am

I didn’t know of this place until I read about it here. I love the 12 Trips challenge. I think it would be a great way to get myself enjoying this lovely world.

11. May 4, 2018 / 5:00 am

What an amazing trip!! I have never heard of Zagreb but it sure is gorgeous!! I would love to travel there one day!!

12. May 4, 2018 / 2:23 am

This looks amazing! I have never heard of this place before, but I’d love to visit now!

13. May 4, 2018 / 1:57 am

I’ve never heard of this place but it’s so beautiful. I would love to visit!

• May 4, 2018 / 1:15 pm

It sure is an incredible place, can not recommend it enough

14. May 3, 2018 / 9:40 pm

Wow, what a beautiful place to visit! The architecture is stunning and I love the history behind it all too. It seems like a great trip!

15. May 3, 2018 / 8:35 pm

I’ve never thought to visit this city but it sounds wonderful. I highly recommend a trip to Innsbruck if you’ve not been before.

• May 4, 2018 / 1:11 pm

I have not been to Innsbruck but I am adding to my list. You too should consider Zagreb

16. May 3, 2018 / 8:00 pm

I’ve never thought to visit here but it looks amazing! I love the idea of 12 trips too, we are trying to travel more this year!

17. May 3, 2018 / 7:59 pm

this is on my bucket list – I would love to visit. The weather looks amazing, but the architecture is especially stunning

18. May 3, 2018 / 6:19 pm

Oh my goodness how amazing does Zagreb look! I have to admit Croatia isn’t somewhere I have thought about visiting, but it seems like it has so much to see and do there. I can’t believe how amazing you do with this challenge.

19. May 3, 2018 / 5:29 pm

What a great post! You looked like you had an amazing time and your photos are stunning!

20. May 3, 2018 / 3:04 pm

I am ashamed to say I am never even heard of this place. It looks like it is rich with history and beauty. I would love to check this place out.

21. May 3, 2018 / 3:04 pm

This looks and sounds like a beautiful place to visit. There are so many places in our world that aren’t on the main radar of travel agencies. These unknown places can be just as amazing and fun to visit as those that are in the travel guides.

• May 3, 2018 / 3:23 pm

I know what you mean, I wish more agencies had such places on there radar.

22. May 3, 2018 / 2:57 pm

I too have never heard of Zagreb before but the architecture and city views were really outstanding. I will keep it on my list of places to see and experience.

23. May 3, 2018 / 2:03 pm

Looks like you had a fantastic time – isn’t it the best when you arrive to your hotel/apartment/air BnB early and it’s ready for you?! Best feeling while traveling, let me tell you!

24. May 3, 2018 / 1:12 pm

I have never even heard of Zagreb before today. It has such lovely buildings. I’m glad you had a great time. I always like to people watch too.

25. May 3, 2018 / 12:47 pm

This looks like such an amazing trip! I love how you take advantage of the places around you. Love seeing your travel posts.

26. May 3, 2018 / 12:26 pm

It’s always interesting to check out new places you’ve never been. I’ve never heard of Zagreb before, I had to Google it to find out it was the capital of Croatia.

27. candy
    May 3, 2018 / 12:13 pm

I can see why this post is so popular. Who wouldn’t love to travel and see all of these different places. Plus the photos are really great to look at and see what we are missing out on.

28. robin rue
    May 3, 2018 / 11:43 am

I have never heard of Zagreb before – is it in Europe? It sounds like an amazing place to visit.

29. May 3, 2018 / 7:06 am

I’ve never heard of this place but it sounds really interesting, good on you for doing the 12 month challenge again x

30. May 2, 2018 / 8:56 pm

Zagreb looks like such an interesting place to visit, definitely adding it to the wanderlust list for myself and the husband!

• May 3, 2018 / 5:41 am

Definitely visit if you ever get the chance as its an incredible place and so underrated

31. May 2, 2018 / 8:12 pm

Zagreb looks like a fabulous place to visit – I’m definitely adding it to my wishlist!

• May 3, 2018 / 5:38 am

You should as it is such an incredible place to visit

32. May 2, 2018 / 3:13 pm

Zagreb has never been on my travel list but it looks like you had a fabulous time exploring. Hope your feet have recovered

• May 3, 2018 / 5:33 am

My feet will recover soon I hope as I just returned from Barcelona where we did too much walking. But yes Zagreb is a must visit place that people often overlook for seaside cities

33. May 2, 2018 / 6:29 am

I love seeing your posts on places you visit. They definitely open up my horizons to places I would love to go.

• May 3, 2018 / 5:26 am

Awww thanks Cathy, I too am inspired by others and places I read about as a child

34. May 1, 2018 / 10:58 pm

Lucky you! Zagreb sounds like a wonderful place to explore for a few days.

35. May 1, 2018 / 8:16 pm

It sounds absolutely amazing! Seems like a lovely place to visit.

• May 1, 2018 / 9:57 pm

It sure is and I can not recommend it enough