Take Twelve Trips April 2018 #2 – Zagreb Highlight

Travel far enough you meet yourself in the clouds, this is another one of my favourite quotes. On my recent business trip, I decided to make an adventure of my visit to Zagreb hence Zagreb highlight. I felt it would have been a waste to spend five good days in the city just to work and not explore it. With that thought in mind, I opted to spend the weekend before my work trip exploring the city.

From the moment I landed, Zagreb had stolen my heart, I had no expectations but loved what I saw. It is a city which is unsuspecting and leaves you staring into the city like a mad man. At the airport I met one of the loveliest taxis drivers ever, these days you can never be too careful traveling alone. He not only gave me a guide-book but recommendations on where to eat and places to see.

Zagreb highlight

Take Twelve Trips April 2018 #2 – Zagreb Highlight

For those new to A July Dreamer, I should probably start by introducing this series which I share monthly. Back in December 2015 I stumbled upon a fellow bloggers post on this travel challenge, I knew I had to participate. At first I thought, its best to start in January so its simpler to document the travels I undertake. But then I thought, why wait to do something when I can do it today and with that I started.

Over two years later, the Take Twelve Trips series is the most read articles on A July Dreamer. It gives me great join that many of my readers enjoy catching up on my travel adventures too. The recent adventure is the Zagreb highlight which I truly enjoyed for those 48 hours. The rest of the 5 days were spent in doors all day everyday working my life away.

Zagreb Highlight Day 1

After the awesome taxis driver dropped me off at my apartment for the night, I went to check in. Though I had arrived incredibly early, 11 am as opposed to 2pm the check-in time I was able to check-in. I was a bit peckish and took the drivers recommendation and had lunch at Vinodol an incredible restaurant. After lunch, I went to freshen up then left to explore the glorious city which was super sunny.

Listening to the drivers instructions, I went into the centre did some people watching before touring. Then walked up the hill to St Mark’s church and visited other museums in close proximity. I also managed to get a bird’s eye view of the city which was totally epic and such an incredible view.

ZAGREB HIGHLIGHT

Leaving St. Mark’s church I walked towards the Dolac Farmers market which unfortunately was closed. A shame really as I really wanted to see what the fuss was all about, but nonetheless it didn’t happen. I continued to tour the city on foot admiring all the amazing architectural buildings around Zagreb.

Soon after I found myself in front of the Zagreb Cathedral, an important monument in the city. It is free to enter so I went in, made a little video, payed my respects and left. The weather was becoming too much so off I went to hand for some ice cream. I found a cute little shop which had the best ice cream, next to it was a souvenir shop which I loved.

From there I walked to the Ban Jelačik Square where I did more people watching before continuing on. The walk was so refreshing, the city is so lively and very energetic but slow-paced too. I managed to spend over 4 hours walking the city, touring famous places then retiring for the day.

Zagreb Highlight Day Two

I did not realise just how much walking I had done until the next morning when I could barely move. From the aches in my feet and calf I knew it was a day of rest for a reason and rest I did. After I checked out and moved to the Westin hotel, I knew I had to explore the city some more. Often I see places in a rush but I also love to head back and revisit places of interest. The Croatian National Theatre was such a places that I knew I had to see again.

The two days I spent exploring Zagreb were just incredible, one fast paced and the other slow-paced. I felt alive being amongst the people and just enjoying life in another country. This was important trip to me because I knew 5 of those days I would be cooped up indoors working.

I hope to return to the city again and share it with my OH and my parents, it is a must visit.

1. October 8, 2018 / 2:34 pm

It’s very interesting to see, different architectures from different places. That’s always an attraction for me.

2. October 8, 2018 / 2:34 pm

I love seeing people traveling and enjoying life. Life is so stressful enough , nice photographs by the way . Looking for more travel adventures in the near future.

3. October 8, 2018 / 2:34 pm

This looks amazing! I have never heard of this place before, but I’d love to visit now!

4. October 8, 2018 / 2:34 pm

I’ve never been to Zagreb before! I think it’s awesome that you shared your trip with us and what you did during the 5 days. The architecture is amazing!

• October 8, 2018 / 4:56 pm

The architecture is absolutely stunning, you should add it to your list.

5. October 8, 2018 / 2:34 pm

I’ve never thought to visit here but it looks amazing! I love the idea of 12 trips too, we are trying to travel more this year!

6. October 8, 2018 / 2:34 pm

Oh my goodness how amazing does Zagreb look! I have to admit Croatia isn’t somewhere I have thought about visiting, but it seems like it has so much to see and do there. I can’t believe how amazing you do with this challenge.

7. October 8, 2018 / 2:34 pm

What a great post! You looked like you had an amazing time and your photos are stunning!

8. October 8, 2018 / 2:34 pm

What a beautiful place to visit, it’s good that you took time out to explore. It’s nice to have the opportunity to travel.

9. October 8, 2018 / 2:34 pm

What an amazing trip!! I have never heard of Zagreb but it sure is gorgeous!! I would love to travel there one day!!

10. October 8, 2018 / 2:34 pm

Zagreb looks so charming and classy. The view of the city from St. Marks Church is really beautiful. Would love to walk among the enchanting streets of Zagreb.

• October 8, 2018 / 4:53 pm

It is an amazing place, I was totally blown away by the city

11. October 8, 2018 / 2:34 pm

Wow, what a beautiful place to visit! The architecture is stunning and I love the history behind it all too. It seems like a great trip!

12. October 8, 2018 / 2:34 pm

I’ve never heard of this place but it’s so beautiful. I would love to visit!

• October 8, 2018 / 4:46 pm

It sure is an incredible place, can not recommend it enough

13. October 8, 2018 / 2:34 pm

I didn’t know of this place until I read about it here. I love the 12 Trips challenge. I think it would be a great way to get myself enjoying this lovely world.

14. October 8, 2018 / 2:34 pm

this is on my bucket list – I would love to visit. The weather looks amazing, but the architecture is especially stunning

15. October 8, 2018 / 2:34 pm

I’ve never thought to visit this city but it sounds wonderful. I highly recommend a trip to Innsbruck if you’ve not been before.

• October 8, 2018 / 2:34 pm

I have not been to Innsbruck but I am adding to my list. You too should consider Zagreb

16. October 8, 2018 / 2:33 pm

I am ashamed to say I am never even heard of this place. It looks like it is rich with history and beauty. I would love to check this place out.

17. October 8, 2018 / 2:33 pm

Looks like you had a fantastic time – isn’t it the best when you arrive to your hotel/apartment/air BnB early and it’s ready for you?! Best feeling while traveling, let me tell you!

18. October 8, 2018 / 2:33 pm

Zagreb has never been on my travel list but it looks like you had a fabulous time exploring. Hope your feet have recovered

• October 8, 2018 / 4:49 pm

My feet will recover soon I hope as I just returned from Barcelona where we did too much walking. But yes Zagreb is a must visit place that people often overlook for seaside cities

19. October 8, 2018 / 2:33 pm

Zagreb looks like a fabulous place to visit – I’m definitely adding it to my wishlist!

• October 8, 2018 / 4:51 pm

You should as it is such an incredible place to visit

20. October 8, 2018 / 2:33 pm

I too have never heard of Zagreb before but the architecture and city views were really outstanding. I will keep it on my list of places to see and experience.