Zagreb Ultimate Travel Guide: Must See & Do

Zagreb is the capital city of a small country in Europe called Croatia formerly part if Yugoslavia. This city is often overlooked by travelers for more seaside cities like Dubrovnik. But it is a mistake on the travelers side overlooking such an incredible city with rich culture. In this article we aim to share the Zagreb Ultimate Travel Guide should you ever find yourself there.

Zagreb travel guide

Zagreb is a city with lots to love; friendly people ✔ greenery ✔ metropolitan city ✔ and good weather ✔. It has lots to offer an avid traveler like myself, fast paced on one side and slow-paced on another. In this article I will share all the places I was able to visit in day. If you read my April 2018 Highlights or even Take Twelve Trips Zagreb Highlights you will know I was there on business. Never one to waste an opportunity I flew there on Saturday before work on Monday so I could explore the city freely. Whenever I travel for business I am always stuck indoors the entire time, so I opted to arrive earlier.

Zagreb Ultimate Travel Guide

Zagreb is located on the southwest part of the country and only 140km away from Slovenia’s capital Ljubljana. Making it a person location for travellers wanting to explore neighbouring countries or cities. I would recommend visiting Ljubljana then drifting off to Bologna in Italy making it a perfect itinerary. But for this occasion I opted to stick to one country and city and here are the places I managed to explore.

St Mark’s Square

Sat in the middle of the square is St Mark’s church which dates back from the 13th century. Tourists travel from far places to come and catch a glimpse of the impressive design of the church’s roof. The square is also where Parliament, Constitutional court and the Government buildings are located.

Dolac Market

This is Zagreb’s biggest farmers market, the various displays of fruits and vegetables makes it a colourful market. The market is considered the social glue of Zagreb’s people, produce comes from all over the country. Back in 1930, the now farmer’s market was a residential area and not much was put into the market. But over the years it has become the belly of the city, a place to socialize and gastronomic heaven.

Croatian National Theatre

Walking from the Westin hotel towards the main square is an incredible Architectural building. This impressive building is the Croatian National Theatre, a theatre, opera and ballet house 3-in-1. I was so taken in by the structure, I sat at the nearby restaurant and stared at it from a distance.

Zagreb Botanical Gardens

Located in downtown Zagreb and founded in 1889, it is such an incredible place to explore. After I had walked in 30 degree sun I was looking for shelter and the gardens provided that. The little spring near the entrance was enchanting and very refreshing to sit close to. I highly recommend a visit to the gardens, so many species of flowers to behold.

Zagreb Cathedral

Built around the 13th century, the present day cathedral looks Neo-Gothic but it has undergone several transformations. The cathedral is centrally located, a few minutes walk from Dolac and 10 minutes from St Mark’s square.

Maksmir

Located just outside the city and a newly renovated zoo, Maksmir is an incredible place to visit. I definitely found myself relaxing and even opted to switch off all my devices for some peace. It is oldest public park in Zagreb, was  founded in 1787  and at the time largest in the South-Eastern Europe.

Academy of Music

At first glance I had no clue what the odd structure near the national theatre was but it was captivating. The academy is home to over 500 students and is the oldest and largest music school in Croatia. It is definitely something to behold when visiting the city of Zagreb.

Zagreb is an unsuspecting city, I had no expectations but I definitely loved every minute of it. I can not recommend it enough.

Zagreb must see

Zagreb must see

1. Hannah Mitchell
    May 27, 2018 / 6:28 pm

This looks like a majestic place! I hope one day I can visit this beautiful historic location. I can’t wait to see what other places you visit!

2. May 13, 2018 / 2:13 pm

Wow, what a beautiful city! I would love to go there. Touring Europe is a dream of mine. Hope that dream will come true someday. 🙂

3. Rose Ann Sales
    May 11, 2018 / 2:26 pm

Never heard about this place before but thank you for letting me know this beautiful place I will definitely add this to my bucket list.

• May 13, 2018 / 7:01 am

Glad to hear it and you’re most welcome

4. May 11, 2018 / 2:03 pm

The architecture is beautiful! I love visiting cities like this. That is why I wouldn’t mind visiting Zagreb someday

5. Ruth I
    May 11, 2018 / 1:24 pm

Wow, a beautiful place to visit! I prefer small cities with rich culture like this.

6. May 11, 2018 / 2:59 am

I’m ashamed to admit that I’ve never heard of Zagreb. It looks like such a beautiful place!

• May 13, 2018 / 7:00 am

Don’t be, there are so many places I didn’t know of and only learning now as I travel around the world.

7. May 10, 2018 / 11:34 pm

I would love to visit Zagreb. There is so much to see and do. I would love to travel with the family more often.

8. May 10, 2018 / 5:05 pm

This looks like a beautiful place to visit. There are so many unique places in the world that we don’t know about that can be great places to visit

9. May 10, 2018 / 5:03 pm

I think it would be a great trip, going to Croatia. Not too long ago, it would have been almost impossible to travel to a former Soviet-Bloc nation! I love the old architecture and other scenery surrounding Zagreb.

• May 13, 2018 / 6:59 am

Tell me about it, I wouldn’t have thought to visit back then but it welcomes all with open arms

10. May 10, 2018 / 4:41 pm

Oh wow! I would love to see Zagreb in person one day. I’ve actually never heard of it before I read this post, but now it’s high on my list of places to visit.

11. May 10, 2018 / 8:00 am

Great idea to tag into your business trip. It looks like a wonderful place to explore. We’ve never visited Croatia before but heard some wonderful things. Will have to add this to our list!

• May 13, 2018 / 6:58 am

Thanks lovely, I figured why miss this incredible opportunity to had a personal trip to a business one

12. May 10, 2018 / 7:42 am

I have never been there but it looks like a very nice place to visit especially in the summer

13. May 9, 2018 / 6:54 pm

Wow! It looks like such a beautiful place. If I’m being honest I’ve never heard of it before but it looks like somewhere I would love to visit!

• May 13, 2018 / 6:58 am

Its a beautiful city and yes not many have heard of it but it is slowly coming through on its own

14. May 9, 2018 / 1:05 pm

I visited Zagreb a couple of year ago and really enjoyed it. My favourite part was the Museum of Broken Relationships.

• May 13, 2018 / 6:57 am

I didn’t get to visit many museums but hope to do so next time I travel there

15. May 9, 2018 / 9:15 am

I visited `Zagreb few years back and i have really enjoyed the visit the place is just beautiful and your walk through brough back so many beautiful memories

• May 13, 2018 / 6:57 am

Glad to hear it brought back some memories

16. May 9, 2018 / 9:05 am

Wow this looks like such a beautiful place to visit. I’ve always wanted to visit Croatia! Looks like you had a brilliant time, it’s definitely given me some wanderlust!

• May 13, 2018 / 6:57 am

Aww bless, thank you love. I had an incredible time their and topped up on my vitamin D

17. May 9, 2018 / 6:56 am

Zagreb looks like a beautiful place to explore, how lovely to be able to make the most of a business trip. The botanical gardens sound beautiful – a little oasis in the city! I’ve only known of a couple of people who’ve visited but they loved it too. I hope it manages to keep that charm as it no doubt becomes a more popular travel destination.

• May 13, 2018 / 6:56 am

It is an incredible city, I too hope it keeps the charm as now many people are starting to add it to their list.

18. May 9, 2018 / 6:26 am

Wow , this appears to be a beautiful place, you are extremely lucky to be able to travel write and share this experiance with those of us at this time that are unable to travel for whatever reason. thank you for taking the time to book an extra two days onto your business trip and share this with us x

• May 9, 2018 / 6:31 am

Thank you Sadia, I am extremely fortunate to be in this position and grateful for it. Thanks for stopping by