• 13 Must-Visit Places in England

Psst… All of these 13 must-visit places in England are those where we’ve been and highly recommend. England is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe, if not the world. I am fortunate to call this country my home and I truly believe these are the 13 must-visit places in England.

Over the last few years, I have made a point of visiting as many of the UK cities as possible. It took me a while to come up with the 13 must-visit places in England as this country as so much to offer. The places we’ve listed below are those we’ve visited on more than one occasion. With that in mind, check out the recommend 13 must-visit places in England.

13 MUST VISIT PLACES IN ENGLAND

13 Must-Visit Places in England

England is known around the world mostly for London, football teams, downtown abbey and I dare say, Jane Austen. Being a local, I must admit sometimes I take this fine country for granted, but not more. Here is a list of 13 must-visit places in England, and apologies, it doesn’t contain castles.

Bath

Bath is a quaint little town in the southwest of England famous for the natural hot springs. A city designated the UNESCO World Heritage site with the grandest 18th-century Georgian architectural buildings. It is a city bursting with so much history which dates back to the Roman times.

Bristol

Bristol is the 12th largest city and has been voted as one of the ‘Best places to live’ in England. The city was buzzing with life regardless of the weather and made me want to re-visit.

Cambridge

I lived in Cambridge for over 10 years and absolutely loved it and can’t recommend it enough. Cambridge is known for the top educational institute, the Cambridge University and is located in the Eastern part of England.

Blenheim Palace

Blenheim Palace, the only non-royal country house to hold the title of the palace and is a monumental country house in Oxfordshire. The palace is located in Woodstock and was designated the UNESCO World Heritage site in 1987. It was built between 1705 and 1722 as a reward to Churchill for the triumph against the French and Bavarian’s. Currently, it is the principal residence of the Dukes of Marlborough with John Churchill being the 1st Duke.

Oxford

Oxford is now my home and has been for the last 4 years, it is such an enchanting city. Located in central southern England, it is known worldwide for its university composed of 38 colleges.

Lake District

The Lake District is on the highlands in the mountainous region in the Northern region of England. It is an area known most popular in the UK for many holidaymakers. The Lake District is designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2017.

Bury St Edmunds

Bury St. Edmunds is a market town and home of the Green King Brewery in West Suffolk. One of the highlights of the city is the Cathedral and Abbey gardens which are exquisite.

Stonehenge

Stonehenge

The Stonehenge is a prehistoric monument owned by the Crown and part of UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1986. No one knows exactly how the circle came to be and true purpose, it’s still a mystery to be marvelled at. The stones stand at 13 feet each in a ring of standing stones and are regarded as a British cultural icon.

Salisbury Cathedral

Salisbury

Salisbury is a medieval as well as Cathedral city located in Wiltshire Southern part England. Lying only 9 miles away from the Stonehenge, the city is a tourist spot for many visiting South of England.

Plymouth

Plymouth is home to the University of Plymouth and located in the south coast of Devon. It is a city I can not recommend enough, not only is it vibrant it has a history.

Cornwall

Finally, after many years of wanting to visit this beautiful corner of the UK, I finally made it this summer. We visited for my sister’s birthday but our aim was to spend the day chilling on the beach. We did that happily so can’t say much but fellow bloggers can.

Ami of Ami Rose says, Cornwall for the stunning beaches that make you forget you’re in the UK, the gorgeous coastal walks and of course the Cornish pasties 😍

Hayley of Devon Mama says, don’t miss a trip to the Eden Project and the world’s largest captive rainforest. It’s an amazing place to go (and sneakily educational as well!).

Liverpool

All my visits to Liverpool have been either on the train station or hotel visits for work and nothing more. Thankfully, Graeme of Fitness, Food and Travel have some tips of Liverpool. The hidden gem of the Baltic Triangle. The people who are literally a nation within a nation and the history/story of almost every place you visit in the city

Castle Combe

Cotswold

Living in Oxford, I am fortunate to be so close to the Cotswold, a great place to visit. A few years ago I visited Castle Comb, a little quaint town in the Cotswold with a beautiful Manor House. I love it because Steven Speilberg made war horse there and there is a circuit close by. Besides, who wouldn’t want to walk around such a gorgeous looking English town?

Looking at the 13 Must Visit Places in England, it’s easy to see why I love it so much. Besides the Cotswold being outstanding natural beauty, the rest of the country has so much to offer. What do you think about these choices, most importantly, which is your favourite? Because as I said, I am definitely biased because I have visited all of these places.

1. October 25, 2018 / 3:03 pm

Stonehenge! If ever I go to England, I would know where to go. And I will ask my friend there to bring me around. This is a dream of ours.

2. October 25, 2018 / 10:25 am

You’ve got some great places here, and some I’ve never visited! I was just thinking about arranging a trip for my family for December so I think we’ll have to head off to Cambridge again!

3. October 24, 2018 / 5:04 pm

I adore Cornwall and could quite happily live there if we returned from
      Sweden. The vast beaches and open spaces are right up my street. Otherwise I need to explore bath and Cambridge properly one day

4. October 24, 2018 / 9:41 am

England certainly has some fantastic places, whether it is for the scenery or the architecture, there are so many. Loads of locations ideal for days out or for holidaying.

5. Vikrant Nimbalkar
      October 24, 2018 / 7:34 am

England huh. I am definitely gonna visit all these places. Its already in my travel plan . Thank you for information.

6. October 24, 2018 / 6:52 am

Very nice places to visit in England. England is on my bucket list, so now I know what to do when I come. Ver interesting places. Thanks.

7. lindsey bray
      October 23, 2018 / 2:16 pm

It makes me sad that I have only been to one of these places (lake district) I really must visit some more of these, they look very interesting .

8. October 22, 2018 / 9:22 pm

Lots of lovely places to visit, I have visited a few of them. Bath is such a stunning city and is lovely at Christmas!

9. October 22, 2018 / 8:18 pm

I grew up in Cornwall so I think I have a different view on Plymouth haha! I am lucky to have visited nearly all of these places. I’ve yet to make my way to Bath yet sadly, but it’s on the list.

10. October 22, 2018 / 8:13 pm

We love exploring the UK. We visited Stonehenge for the first time this summer and loved it!

11. October 22, 2018 / 6:47 pm

If I ever make it to England, I would love to live there permanently. I have always wanted to go there and if I do, I’ll visit some of your suggestions if not all.

12. October 22, 2018 / 10:10 am

Lots of lovely places there but I have only ever been to Plymouth. We are pretty well travelled around the UK though as my m couldn’t fly. Hopefully we will makes some memories in these places in the future. X

13. Dani
      October 22, 2018 / 9:51 am

There are so many beautiful places in England I still need to visit!
      Nice to see Bury St Edmunds on there, that is my boyfriend’s home town 🙂

Dani x

14. October 22, 2018 / 9:41 am

So many beautiful places! I’ve been to the Lakes, Liverpool and Cornwall but Bath and Bristol are top of my list for places I want to explore next. One you haven’t listed is the Peak District – such a beautiful part of the country x

15. October 22, 2018 / 3:37 am

I’m happy to have been in a couple of them. My favorite was Oxford.

16. October 21, 2018 / 8:01 pm

This is a fabulous list and I am so happy to say I have seen several of them. My family spent 36 hours in Liverpool and had the times of our lives immersing into Beatlemania!

17. October 21, 2018 / 1:44 pm

I’m not from the UK originally so I’ve not done all of these, but hopefully will have done so at some point.

18. October 21, 2018 / 12:52 pm

these are really good recommendations – I’ve visited all these places in the past (and Oxford was very close to where I grew up) – Blenheim Palace is stunning too – where Winston Churchill was born too. Bath also has really wonderful Christmas markets too. But I’ve never been to Bury St Edmonds – I think a visit is in order.

19. October 21, 2018 / 10:38 am

We are really lucky to live in a country with so much heritage – every place on this list has so much going for it. I love all the history here.

20. October 21, 2018 / 5:23 am

Bath is one place I will put on my list of places to visit. Thanks for compiling the list.

21. October 20, 2018 / 10:47 pm

I absolutely LOVE living in the UK, it really is such a unique and beautiful place to live! I haven’t been to all of these places, but I definitely need to!

22. October 20, 2018 / 10:46 pm

I’d love to visit Stonehenge and Bath! I’ve driven past Stonehenge before but would love to see it properly.

23. October 20, 2018 / 8:23 pm

We did a road trip to Cornwall this year and absolutely loved Padstow. Definitely have to try the yummy cornish pasties and the cream teas when you’re there. The beaches are beautiful too! Bath makes a great weekend break! Love the thermal spa there!

24. October 20, 2018 / 3:52 pm

I would love to go to England one day. There are so many things to see that I didn’t even realize.

25. October 20, 2018 / 7:00 am

Love UK trip so much and I was there last year in the summer. Still pretty cold for me. Bury St Edmunds and Cornwall are the places that I have missed out. I remembered I did a walking tour in Oxford, punting in Cambridge, cruise in Lake District, ghost tour in York city and be a Beatles Mania in Beatles Story Museum. UK is just too beautiful and everyone must visit here.

26. October 20, 2018 / 4:23 am

I hope one day I get to visit England again. Thank you for this comprehensive guide and for the informative post.

27. October 20, 2018 / 12:06 am

The Salisbury castle looks like Hogwarts from Harry Potter! It’s beautiful!!

28. Jessica Taylor
      October 19, 2018 / 9:31 pm

How ironic! My best friend and I were just talking about doing a girls trip to England! These places are fascinating

29. October 19, 2018 / 9:25 pm

Wow, England looks beautiful! I hear of a lot of travelers adding that place to their bucket list, now I see why!

30. October 19, 2018 / 8:42 pm

After studying at Oxford, I’m quite partial to Oxford, the Cotswolds and Blenheim Castle. I roamed those places, forgetting I was in the 21st century.

31. October 19, 2018 / 8:01 pm

Okay I think a road trip should be in order.I need to see Bath so pretty and the Bleinheim Palace, not forgetting Stonehenge of course.